Mounting the Cree - First time question

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
I have not done this before. I am trying to build a Quad Lux M*g C using the Modamag XR19 heatsink. I have found and printed MM's instructions from a previous post.

Here's what I don't get:

I am using 4 x Cree Q5's (not stars). I notice that on the back of the emitters, the + and - rails have conductivity to the respective rails on the back of the board. So, if mounting on the bare Al XR19 heatsink, how do I insulate the emitter? Is the Arctic Alumina epoxy (which I will use to mount), an insulator?

Also, when it is suggested to "pot" the Fatman driver (for heat) - what is used for the potting compound?

I'm going to sit tight for advice before plowing into this. Got a few bucks in parts from the Shoppe and don't want to blow it. Just trying to earn my beginners wings at modding.

Thanks for any help,
Bill

Edit: Mods please move. This should be in "Flashlights & Electronics" - sorry!

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am using 4 x Cree Q5's (not stars). I notice that on the back of the emitters, the + and - rails have conductivity to the respective rails on the back of the board. So, if mounting on the bare Al XR19 heatsink, how do I insulate the emitter? Is the Arctic Alumina epoxy (which I will use to mount), an insulator?

Sand off the electrical contacts from the bottom of the emitter. Then you can epoxy it with confidence onto the bare metal.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You can also clip off the corners.

Not sure about potting the driver but I've seen people AA the driver to a piece of metal which is attached to the body or a heatsink.

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
Thanks very much gentlemen!

I think I am more on-track now. I can easily sand the pads off the back of the emitters.

Good to find out that the Arctic Alumina epoxy is the potting compound. I read someplace that it is non-(electrical) conductive, so that is good. I think that my Fatman driver will fit in the can on the back of the Modamag heatsink.

Got to find some 24AWG stranded Teflon wire tomorrow and I'll be ready to go!

Thanks again for the help,
Bill