What's happened to the cheap, simple(2mode) flashlights?

aceo07

Enlightened
It seems like all the popular(or growing popular) brands are just producing multi-mode, multi-level, sos, flashing.. etc lights.

What's happened to the days of the 2-3 level lights? They used to be inexpensive, but it's relatively expensive now. With the exception of 'no name' manufacturers.

With the higher prices, I find that I do mostly research into new lights but do not feel the price justifies the value anymore. My HDS U60 (seoul modded) and LiteFlux LF2 are my main lights now. The price point of $50+ for the new wave of lights is too much.

Will manufacturers ever go back to cheap/simple lights now that they've tasted bigger profits?

Burgess

Flashaholic
With On & Off, we can charge X Dollars.

With Low & Medium & High & Strobe, we can charge XX Dollars.

Add Turbo & S-O-S modes, and we can charge XXX Dollars !

See the pattern developing ? :devil:

If you made flashlights, which would you select ? :whistle:

More features = more "perceived value"

(note the all-important word there, perceived)

:broke:
_

loanshark

Enlightened
I just spent the evening in the woods on my atv with my trusty LM31. I'm really happy with this light. Low, high, off, what else do you need??

Katdaddy

Enlightened
I'm like you, 2 or 3 levels is all I really need or want. My seoul modded HDS U60 is my favorite now. Of course it ran a tad over $50 itself.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's happened to the days of the 2-3 level lights? They used to be inexpensive, but it's relatively expensive now. With the exception of 'no name' manufacturers.
DealExtreme and Kaidomain are full of 2-3 level lights that are expensive. :thinking:

The higher end makers are trying to differentiate themselves from each other and are doing so by adding capability.

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
I guess another way to look at it is this... More complex and more expensive lights coming to market can sometimes mean a swell in the used light market (B/S/T, eBay, etc...). Most people practice "out with the old, in with the new". So...if you can get an older, but working and practical 2-level light on the cheap -- that's a good thing.

- Chris

Marduke

Flashaholic
The nice multi-mode lights will operate exactly like a simple 2-mode light.

Examples:
Fenix L1D, L2D, P2D, P3D, LxT
NiteCore Defender Infinity

Depending on if you have the bezel tight or loose, you get 2-mode operation.

MatajumotorS

Enlightened
Also I am starting to think, that i do not need multimultimulti mode settable lights in everyday, it is more like "wow" and "fun". As i make and program drivers my self, my preference for now is: normal-high-strobe-low . Ok ok you probably do not like strobe, but i am using it, if i need to get attention on me. And i like the light to start from FIRST mode, not the last used.

aceo07

Enlightened
DealExtreme and Kaidomain are full of 2-3 level lights that are expensive. :thinking:

The higher end makers are trying to differentiate themselves from each other and are doing so by adding capability.

Oops. I meant that lights are more complex and expensive now and that simple lights are gone. The simple lights are generally inexpensive, but also typically no name brands.

Unfortunately most makers are adding in the SAME features. Makes me wonder if they just get the same boards and just make the tube and bezels to be different. Of course when someone has a new feature, everybody else somehow develops it soon enough.

aceo07

Enlightened
The nice multi-mode lights will operate exactly like a simple 2-mode light.

Examples:
Fenix L1D, L2D, P2D, P3D, LxT
NiteCore Defender Infinity

Depending on if you have the bezel tight or loose, you get 2-mode operation.

They can operate like a simpler lights, but my wallet can tell the difference. I don't think any of those lights are under $55 unless it was a promo.

Marduke

Flashaholic
They can operate like a simpler lights, but my wallet can tell the difference. I don't think any of those lights are under $55 unless it was a promo.

The L1D Q5 is $55.20 shipped, black and olive

L1D P4 is $51.06 shipped

P2D Q5 is $55.20 shipped

LxT will be slightly less, and is even a true two-mode.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also wish there were more simple 2-3 level lights. I'm not against fancy settings provided it is not part of the regular UI (like the HDS's and Novatacs) and if it does not drive the price up (which it probably does).
I find even today I still like and use my old Fenix L1T with CR123 body. The emitter may not be cutting edge but it has reasonable runtime and brightness, it's a simple 2 stage and it is very compact in size.

Vermonter73

Enlightened
I too don't like having too many modes. Cost is nice, but mainly I just want to have it always function the same, no matter what. Bezel twisty modes plus clicky? No thanks. Give me high-low, no memory.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like both simple 1 level lights, and multi-level lights. As far as multi-level lights I think the ideal setup would be low-medium-high. Strobes and SOS modes are ok, but largely unneccesary.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think it gets much better than the LxTv2 design.

Last edited:

smg

Newly Enlightened
I don't think it gets much better than the LxTv2 design.
I agree. I just want a little more output than the L1T V2 currently offers. A Q5 version would be perfect for me.

Marduke

Flashaholic
You can get a Q5 in the L1D/L2D, which works EXACTLY like the LxT does with a reverse clicky (which is how the LxT used to come, and will be when re-released soon).

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get a Q5 in the L1D/L2D, which works EXACTLY like the LxT does with a reverse clicky (which is how the LxT used to come, and will be when re-released soon).

Except it strobes the second time you press the tailswitch.

I love my L2D100, but I still want a L2Tv2 with a forward clicky and a Q5 or R2 LED.

Now that you mention it though, I wonder if the re-release will be held up by that rebel/epoxy problem they're having. If so, they may have forward clicky tailswitches sourced by the time they come back.

Last edited:

smg

Newly Enlightened
Are u serious?!?? :shakehead Dammit! I have been really hoping for a new L1T Q5 with the forward clickie!!!! I'm frustrated now. All the annoying reverse clickies and companies bragging about ability to tail-stand :(