Noobie here, looking for a good light!

wirolla

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, just joined here the other day and I am addicted.:wave: I've been reading the faq's and I am still confused; so here is my situation. I want a decent palm size led flashlight. I work at an automotive dealership. I have been reading people's recommendations and it seems like everyone recommends a different light. :confused: Some of the other techs at my shop use this coast: http://www.utilitysafeguard.com/Too...shlights/LL7730-V6-Stainless-Steel-Power-Chip
It's pretty bright but very unreliable. The only reason they keep them is the Snap-On guy warranties them so free replacement when they break!
I have been looking at the surefire g2 led. I read something about the "wolfeyes 170 lumen led drop-in mod" for that light. I have also heard some good stuff about Fenix lights, but I am unsure on what to choose/best one for my situation.. My price range is $50 to $100. Also, I want to be able to use this light for everyday use. Thanks for the help!

violatorjf

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

Automotive dealership...would you be using your light for close range or long? I imagine close, but I may be wrong. If I could give you one piece of advice it would be to try spending less on a light first. Then if you're unsatisfied you can step things up from there.

A light that receives a lot of rave reviews for its price of $10.90 is the Romisen RC-G2.

3607-a8471365-cd3b-47d9-b7b0-801a87de46fa.jpg

Black > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3607
Gray > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3609

Small enough to EDC (every day carry), uses common AA batteries, good build quality and very bright. Read through some of the reviews for the light. It's quite a steal at this price. On a side note, most people who order from DX (deal extreme) wait about 2-3 weeks for their shipment to arrive. Then again, it's free shipping so...not so bad. (unless you're impatient :whistle:)

On a side note, the SF G2 LED has received great praises. It is a very high quality light with great output and reliability. But like I said, personally I recommend trying a proven light for less $ and moving up from their if you find it necessary.

Last edited:

wirolla

Newly Enlightened
yes, everything will be up close. Is there a light that is good for both up close and far away? I doubt it...

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to cpf! Since you will end up buying one anyway... I would buy the Surefire G2L... It is light...tough...cheap on batteries. Plus, you do not have to wait for weeks for it to get to you like a dealextreem light. Plus, it also has a lifetime warrenty.

Check out the reviews section and also, lightreviews.info is a great site for some of the latest lights.

violatorjf

Newly Enlightened
yes, everything will be up close. Is there a light that is good for both up close and far away? I doubt it...

As long as you don't get a light that is "specialized" to have a very long throw, it should work fine for close up cases. Also if you're busy using your hands you may want to consider a headlamp?

wirolla

Newly Enlightened
what about modding the light with the wolfeyes 170lumen mod?
Welcome to cpf! Since you will end up buying one anyway... I would buy the Surefire G2L... It is light...tough...cheap on batteries. Plus, you do not have to wait for weeks for it to get to you like a dealextreem light. Plus, it also has a lifetime warrenty.

Check out the reviews section and also, lightreviews.info is a great site for some of the latest lights.

kilgor

Enlightened

Automotive dealership...would you be using your light for close range or long? I imagine close, but I may be wrong. If I could give you one piece of advice it would be to try spending less on a light first. Then if you're unsatisfied you can step things up from there.

A light that receives a lot of rave reviews for its price of $10.90 is the Romisen RC-G2.

Small enough to EDC (every day carry), uses common AA batteries, good build quality and very bright. Read through some of the reviews for the light. It's quite a steal at this price. On a side note, most people who order from DX (deal extreme) wait about 2-3 weeks for their shipment to arrive. Then again, it's free shipping so...not so bad. (unless you're impatient :whistle:)

On a side note, the SF G2 LED has received great praises. It is a very high quality light with great output and reliability. But like I said, personally I recommend trying a proven light for less $ and moving up from their if you find it necessary.

I agree. You can't beat $10.90 DELIVERED for a good quality 1AA light. It even has a forward clicky!

For a general use palm sized light, this is a great choice.

shakeylegs

Enlightened
I like the fenix P2D or P1Dce for this application. They're both small and pocketable. You can hold them in your mouth. They are multi-level so you can use them close up and at a distance. And while not in a class with something like the DBS, they throw far enough to be very usable at moderate distances.

The P2D has a lower low and the P1Dce a slightly brighter high. Plus the P2D has a clickie while the P1Dce is a twisty. Also, both are easily modded when newer cree's emerge. All you need to access the emitter is a couple of strap wrenches. If you can solder and mix epoxy, the rest is simple.

BTW, these both use cr123/rcr123 batteries. If you prefer AA's or AAA's, the L1D and LOD would probably do all you need up close.

LED Flashlights.

Enlightened

That is great advice.

And from there, you can judge other LEDS on how great they are and maybe get them. I'm guessing the more expensive the flashlight you go the more lumens they are.

My first LED Flashlight was a DORCY ACE Hardware 1 AAA LED Flashlight for about 10 dollars.

Yeah, I would guess too, if you're a mechanic you're probably working up close so a "spotlight" beam would be better. Generally the cheaper LEDS are pretty good for that.

Last edited:

bigred

Newly Enlightened
For the life of me, I can't understand this fascination with 123 powered lights, especially for someone wanting a worklight. I work as a mechanic and can tell you that a flashlight gets a tremendous amount of use in this application. It simply isn't realistic to expect someone to use a 123 powered light all day, everyday. For EDC, sure, a 123 powered light is fine, but not for extended use. A few years ago, I had an ARC LS w/123 twisty pack as my EDC. My worklight was an ARC LS w/ 2AA clicky. Today, my EDC is a Fenix P2D. My worklight is a Fenix L1D powered by 2200 mAh rechargeable Energizers.

Honestly? I'm thinking of ordering another L1D body and screwing the P2D head on it to have 2 L1D's. I am *that* impressed with the L1D powered by rechargeables.

As I mentioned, I work as a mechanic, so I know what this individual needs in a light. He needs a 1AA or 2AA powered light with multiple light levels. The Surefire G2L with its 80 lumens is waaaaaaaay too bright for this application. Heck, my L1D on MEDIUM is too bright on many occasions and I often find myself using LOW.

My recommendation is a Fenix L1D powered by rechargeable batteries. In the two weeks I've owned my L1D, I have doused it in parts cleaner, I have dropped it in snow, I have held it underwater, I have completely covered it in grease, I have rinsed it with Brakleen, I have dropped it on concrete countless times, it is scratched, and it is dull. But it WORKS, and it hasn't given me one ounce of trouble in the many hours of use I have put it through. I used to love my old ARC LS w/2AA clicky. The ARC is but a memory now as the L1D blows it away in virtually every way.

I'm a mechanic. Get the L1D. You won't be sorry.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
For both upclose and far away(depends how far away).

A multimode driver would usually have a lower mode so you can use the light up close and a high mode for those times when you need more range.

A few questions might help narrow down(and open up) some options.

Size?
Batteries?
Output?
Multimode?
Beam pattern?

A Fenix light might fit well.