SF L4 vs L4 Lumamax ?

accr

Newly Enlightened
I searched pages for SF L4 and they always give 65 lumens for 60 mins or so, but on SF's page it said 100 lumens for 2.5h.

Is there 2 gen's of L4 or 2 gen's of L4 Lumamax as well? How do you tell?

I see some pics say "L4 DIGITAL LUMAMAX" on one line, or the same text but with Surefire logo on top, or as "L4" then "DIGITAL LUMAMAX" on the next line. :candle:

Which ones truely gives 100 lumens? I thought they all use the same KL4 head ?? Anyone's L4 goes "L4" then "DIGITAL LUMAMAX" on the next line?

Numbers

Enlightened
There are not two generations.
When the L4 first came out it was LABELED as 65 lumens. Shortly thereafter SF started labeling them as 100 Lumens. Having bought an early one I was concerned about this (back then) too. Upon questioning SF I was told that there were never any physical changes to the light or it's emitter. Further that 100 lumens was the correct figure and accurately described the output. The light was never changed only it's lumen rating changed in the interest of greater accuracy.

I believe this to be true because compared to my new G2L at 80 lumens there is no question the L4 is putting out more light - 100 lumens is correct. It is also putting out more light than my L1 cree which is rated at 65 lumens on high.

The packaging mine came in did not show a lumen rating. I assume that is because when I bought it they were in the re-labeling process.

FYI my early model has the L4 inscribed by itself on the line above Digital Lumamax.

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Compared to my U2 on highest setting (also 100 lumens), the L4 looks brighter in the center of the pattern. I realize that more powerful lights can be bought, but the L4 packs a bunch of light into a small package - slightly smaller than the E2L according to the charts, though it feels much smaller in the hand.

Lightguy27

Enlightened
There are not two generations.
When the L4 first came out it was LABELED as 65 lumens. Shortly thereafter SF started labeling them as 100 Lumens. Having bought an early one I was concerned about this (back then) too. Upon questioning SF I was told that there were never any physical changes to the light or it's emitter. Further that 100 lumens was the correct figure and accurately described the output. The light was never changed only it's lumen rating changed in the interest of greater accuracy.

I believe this to be true because compared to my new G2L at 80 lumens there is no question the L4 is putting out more light - 100 lumens is correct. It is also putting out more light than my L1 cree which is rated at 65 lumens on high.

The packaging mine came in did not show a lumen rating. I assume that is because when I bought it they were in the re-labeling process.

FYI my early model has the L4 inscribed by itself on the line above Digital Lumamax.

I don't understand the difference in the two lights labeling wise. Mine has the L4 written above Digital Lumamax.

I found a pic of an L4 like thishttp://www.thefirestore.com/store/products/20060407093245_Photo2.jpg
Which one is the newer version?

-Evan

Last edited by a moderator:

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L4 is as follows:

L4
DIGITAL LUMAMAX
US patents xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm aware of a few different "versions" in terms of the markings, but functionally there should be no difference.

Regards,
Tempest

Illum

Flashaholic
I don't understand the difference in the two lights labeling wise. Mine has the L4 written above Digital Lumamax.

I think the misunderstanding occurred in the terminology. most of the time the L4 lumamax is just mentioned as the L4 [for avoiding ambiguity SF L4] and not the L4 Lumamax, so basically we're talking about the same light, just an updated spec in lumens that made it "appear" theres two version of lights. the bodies have changed from 3 sided to two, but the KL4 hasn't changed at all since the first time it was introduced.

old version of body [clip up bezel to the front] has Surefire, serial Axxxxxx on the left of the clip, L4 DIGITAL LUMAMAX US PAT... on the right
new version of body [clip up bezel to the front] has knurling on both sides, directly across the body [under the clip] has both surefire, name, serial, and patents on one side

some pics should suffice for context elaborations.

top old, bottom new
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2223/2220960203_e5b18de1e5_b.jpg
left old, right new
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2306/2220959851_b9d4720bb7_b.jpg
top old, bottom new
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2129/2220959507_829d7b1260_b.jpg

Last edited:

Numbers

Enlightened
I think the misunderstanding occurred in the terminology. most of the time the L4 lumamax is just mentioned as the L4 [for avoiding ambiguity SF L4] and not the L4 Lumamax, so basically we're talking about the same light, just an updated spec in lumens that made it "appear" theres two version of lights. the bodies have changed from 3 sided to two, but the KL4 hasn't changed at all since the first time it was introduced.

old version of body [clip up bezel to the front] has Surefire, serial Axxxxxx on the left of the clip, L4 DIGITAL LUMAMAX US PAT... on the right
new version of body [clip up bezel to the front] has knurling on both sides, directly across the body [under the clip] has both surefire, name, serial, and patents on one side

some pics should suffice for context elaborations.

top old, bottom new
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2223/2220960203_e5b18de1e5_b.jpg
left old, right new
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2306/2220959851_b9d4720bb7_b.jpg
top old, bottom new
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2129/2220959507_829d7b1260_b.jpg

So what is the picture in Lightguy's post?

Also, of the bodies shown in your pix when did it change from old to new? The SF website still shows your old body.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
I was informed that is the older version of the one below
both use E series TCs and KL4s

by older version I meant the previous generation, which there may still be L4s using the old bodies unsold in surefire/dealer's inventory.
previous generations are not necessarily faulty, just no longer produced because of new designs

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
So what is the picture in Lightguy's post?

Also, of the bodies shown in your pix when did it change from old to new? The SF website still shows your old body.

the old version, which surefire still kept for some reason
not sure exact date, I'd ask siZe15s

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Re differences in old and new, my old L4 will hold an unprotected 17650 LiIon, not a protected one (only tried UltraFire protected). Does the new L4 body hold any 17670 or 17650?

Bill

Numbers

Enlightened
Illum,
Will do

Size15's
Can you provide the time line regarding the change in body styles for the L4?

Also, does this change now apply to all e-series lights?

Russianesq

Enlightened

in the earlier L4 models u can use AW 17670 batteries.:twothumbs

the new L4 models have a tighter boring and do not fit AW 17670 batteries. :mecry:

the the new L4 model also have a short clip vs the earlier models have a longer clip.

Numbers

Enlightened
Ilum, the top one of the first link cant be the old because Iordered it from SF in DEC. 07

-Evan
I think Illum is right his top one is the same as mine which I bought in October 2005. At the time I had the unfounded 65-100 lumen scare, I dont know if you care but if you do, sorry you have the body style issue to deal with. That's a bummer on a new light.

Numbers

Enlightened
in the earlier L4 models u can use AW 17670 batteries.:twothumbs

the new L4 models have a tighter boring and do not fit AW 17670 batteries. :mecry:

the the new L4 model also have a short clip vs the earlier models have a longer clip.
I believe the L4 Always came with the short clip - mine did. Mine will take a 17670 also.