Nice gesture from a non-flashaholic.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm not at my comp at home. Posting this from my Best Friend's computer from Upstate NY. Spending the weekend visiting him. Went to his job at a clothing store earlier today. Met a very cute co-worker of his. :)

She noticed I was changing the battery on my Fenix L0D Rebel 80. (I'm testing it for the next couple of weeks to see if it has one of the recalled Rebel LEDs in it. If it still works after 24 hours, it should be good).

She asked if I had broken my light. (She asked in a playful way). My Best Friend's girl, who was also there, explained to the co-worker that I have a thing for quality lights. The cute co-worker tells me that she has a friend who works at the local RadioShack.... and she can help me in getting all the quality lights I need. (That was basically what she said).

All I could do was smile, and just say that I'm actually into the very high-end lights out there. I could imagine the look on her face if I had told her how much I spent on that "tiny" L0D. Or that a week ago I had picked up a brand new Surefire M6 for "only" $349.

Bless her heart. Definitely a nice gesture on her part. If she only knew....

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
...She asked if I had broken my light. (She asked in a playful way). My Best Friend's girl, who was also there, explained to the co-worker that I have a thing for quality lights. The cute co-worker tells me that she has a friend who works at the local RadioShack.... and she can help me in getting all the quality lights I need. (That was basically what she said).....

Cool. Sound like she was hitting on you. :cool:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
How DID you reply?

Did you have to choke back laughing at the mention of Radio Shack and 'quality lights'? :D

Pictures? ;)

I thanked her for the offer, but politely mentioned that I go for the very high-end models. (Kept my mouth shut about my recent SF M6 purchase though. How do you explain to the average person that $349 is a bit of a bargain for an M6)?

My choked-back laughter emerged as a warm smile. She had no clue.

Pics of what? My M6 or the cute girl. Knowing you guys.... You probably want to see my M6 more than the girl. :D

No pics of her or the M6.
Best description: Short, beautiful, wouldn't mind holding onto for hours at a time..... Now you get to sit there and wonder if I'm describing the girl or the M6. :twothumbs

Monocrom

Flashaholic
She lives and works Upstate, I'd never see her if we started dating. Long distance romances tend not to work out. I didn't bother getting her number. Sometimes I'm a bit too pragmatic.

The girl is shorter than me. And has blonde hair, with a beautiful pair of piercing light blue eyes. I asked my best friend and his girl. They both descibed her as having a very nice personality. Unfortunately, no one is perfect. Overall, I feel I did the right thing by not getting her number. And just being an extra in her life.... rather than a main character.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Man - back when I was single - that would have been my dream - a nice upstate girl.

Still trying to convince my wife we want to be upstate

Monocrom

Flashaholic
.... Still trying to convince my wife we want to be upstate

Sorry I can't help you with that. My Best Friend has lived up there for several years. He tells me the same things over and over again....

"No one knows how to drive up here. There's an accident on this stretch of road every month."

"There are more towns up here that are ghetto than down in the city. But no one knows it, cause only white people live in those towns up here."

"Some @$$ hit my car while in the parking lot, and didn't bother sticking around or even leaving a note.... Again!"

"I never use my turn signal anymore because when I do, people behind me in the next lane always speed up."

There are other first-hand experiences he's had that were less than positive. But this is a family forum. :sssh:

No offense.

Last edited:

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Sorry I can't help you with that. My Best Friend has lived up there for several years. He tells me the same things over and over again....
...snip...

Interesting - Upstate is a "Big place", and where he is doesn't sound like where I go, except for small, all white towns (Yeah, there are a lot of those around)

Dad started going to the area I'm talking about when he was around 16 (he's 84 now) and we even HAD some land up there. Back when I had a little more time, I tried to get up there at least 1x/month. It's still to the point that when I walk into the local Inn, I'll be greeted by name, and they will ask about my family - by name (I even get to hear them ***** about 'city people' - then realize I'm sitting there and say 'but you're not a city person')

I've said it on the board before - I'm NOT a 'people person'. If you know what they Myres-Briggs test is - I'm INTJ - strongly I.

If I don't get 1-2 hours/day of awake time with NO one else around (not even my family, as much as I love them) I start to stress - my Blood Pressure goes up, I eat more, my weight goes up, I start to snap at people etc - THAT is why I really think I need to get out of the city - I HATE NYC. People talk about all the things there are to do - the second work ends - I'm out the door on my way home

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I kinda know what you mean.... It's gotten to the point now where I confront the @$$e$ on the buses and subways, rather than pretend that I don't notice their low-life behavior. (No, not the smartest thing to do. But I've gotten fed up. When I shave my head, I look like the psycho from "Full Metal Jacket." A definite help when confronting an @$$).