L2D-CE Q5 Versus L2T Rebel. Your choice?

Genxsis

Newly Enlightened
If you wanted a 2AA light that had a bright upper mode, but ususally used the lower mode for general use, which would you choose? I'm currently asking myself this question, but have no experience with either. Does anyone here have both? How would you compare them, and which do you like better?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW I want to get a L2T for the simpler user interface...

Marduke

Flashaholic
L2D Q5 is brighter, and operates the EXACT same as the L2T. Turn light on, head loose for low, head tight for high. The only difference is that the L2D has the option of having more modes, but you never have to see anything other than low and turbo if you don't want to.

mbirds

Newly Enlightened
Except the L2T v2 is available with tactical forward clicky with momentary.

While I mostly use high and low, I do frequently use the middle setting on my L1/2D Q5 for when I want a little more runtime, but still 50+ lumens.

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
I'm not crazy about either of those lights. They are ugly (the original L2p looked much better) and overlarge for a low power light. The only reason for carrying such a large light is high power so I don't put much value on having a low power mode given how easy it is to bring a second light for low power, e.g. something tiny like an Arc AAA.

The L2D's twist bezel is maybe an ok idea but I'm not impressed with its construction quality based on an L1D-CE that I had. I'm similarly not that big on the tail pushbutton which seemed to me to be sloppily made. Bettween the two I'd take the L2T because of its greater simplicity. I don't buy the argument that the two lights have identical interfaces if you just ignore the D version's extra modes. The modes create mental clutter (at least for me) even if not used. The L2D's turbo mode is higher powered and less regulated than the L2T's high mode, though I won't say that's a bad thing, just different. You can't operate the L2D's tail button repeatedly without doing a strobe or SOS mode dance. I don't remember if the L2D has visible PWM strobing in the low modes.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
L2D Q5 is brighter, and operates the EXACT same as the L2T. Turn light on, head loose for low, head tight for high. The only difference is that the L2D has the option of having more modes, but you never have to see anything other than low and turbo if you don't want to.

Marduke says it best above. Plus the medium is very useful when low is not enough and high is too much for close up work. The medium setting is perfect in certain situations. I also like the Fenix L2D for it's ability to change bodies. You can have a one CR123 light. A one AA light, or a Two AA light just by changing the bodies.

Bill

Last edited:

Genxsis

Newly Enlightened
How about the difference between the Cree Q5 and Rebel LEDs? I know the Q5 is brighter, but is one better than the other in any other ways? I ask because I hear (actually "read") alot more on this board about Crees than Rebels. I just thought maybe the Rebels were lagging behind somehow.

Marduke

Flashaholic
How about the difference between the Cree Q5 and Rebel LEDs? I know the Q5 is brighter, but is one better than the other in any other ways? I ask because I hear (actually "read") alot more on this board about Crees than Rebels. I just thought maybe the Rebels were lagging behind somehow.

The Rebels tend to have a warmer tint.

As to why you don't see them as much, Lumileds jumped the gun releasing them to try and keep up with Cree, and they can't produce them in near the quantity needed to compete. They are unable to reliably produce the higher bins desired in any quantity. To compound matters, they have recently had a recall on several bad batches of Rebel's and K2 TFFC's.

Genxsis

Newly Enlightened
That almost makes it sound like the Cree might be more reliable and not as likely to have a problem. I just want to be careful. The most I've spend on a light so far is $10, and that was on a 2AA River Rock on sale! I'm looking to blow it away!

mbirds

Newly Enlightened
It has been said that Fenix has had some quality issues in the past that have been corrected. I received a L2D Q5 a few weeks ago and it is perfect as far as I can tell. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I got an L1D body tube as well and find I use it in single cell mode much more, for pocketability. However, it is not nearly as bright in 1XAA mode. "Only" 120 lumens!

Enjoy your light!

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you wanted a 2AA light that had a bright upper mode, but ususally used the lower mode for general use, which would you choose? I'm currently asking myself this question, but have no experience with either. Does anyone here have both? How would you compare them, and which do you like better?

I've got the L1Tv2r80 and a L2Dr100. Like them both. I'd recommend the L2D CE Q5 for right now. The L2Tv2 uses the rebel 80 LED which is fine for a single AA light but not in the same ballpark as the Q5 in a 2xAA light output wise. The current L2Tv2's being shipped have reverse clicky switches instead of the original forward clicky. Fenix is having a hard time sourcing the forward clickies. I'd wait on a L2Tv2 that has a Q5, R2, or Rebel 100 LED and a forward clicky. When it happens, it happens. If you need a forward clicky (say for handgun use) you might look at the Fenix T1 which is the L2Tv2 on steroids but uses the CR123 style batteries instead of the AA's.

luchs

Newly Enlightened
why not the L2D R100?
you get more lumen comparing to L2T R80
and a nicer tint + beam comparing to L2D Q5.

my choice would be L2D R100 (back in stock at fenix-store) :thumbsup:

Marduke

Flashaholic
why not the L2D R100?
you get more lumen comparing to L2T R80
and a nicer tint + beam comparing to L2D Q5.

my choice would be L2D R100 (back in stock at fenix-store) :thumbsup:

With Lumiled's quality/recall issues, I'll be avoiding any Lumiled's products in the near future.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
With Lumiled's quality/recall issues, I'll be avoiding any Lumiled's products in the near future.

Basically, LumiLeds tried to keep up with Cree, but failed miserably to produce batches of any significance.

Before the Rebel came to fruition, it was billed as being 'twice as efficient' as the Cree emitters at the time. By the time it was released, it was about the same efficiency as the Crees and now is lagging behind again.

The problem with the Rebel is the smaller die size. Thermal issues matter more when the heat is generated from a smaller area on the heatsink. If there are any imperfections in the thermal compound or the heatsink, the Rebel will be the first to fail.

USM0083

Enlightened
I got the L2T v2 for the mometary-click on feature, but didn't care for the tint, so I transferred the tailcap to my L2D CE and gave the L2T to my nephew. The L2D is my EDC.

Genxsis

Newly Enlightened
It has been said that Fenix has had some quality issues in the past that have been corrected. I received a L2D Q5 a few weeks ago and it is perfect as far as I can tell. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I got an L1D body tube as well and find I use it in single cell mode much more, for pocketability. However, it is not nearly as bright in 1XAA mode. "Only" 120 lumens!

Enjoy your light!

I've seriously considered the L1d. Plenty bright, and yet more pocketable. It kind of bugs me that I can get the L2D that's about twice as bright for only $2.50 more. That makes it hard not to just spend the extra couple dollars since I'd already be spending $60. Probably not very "practical" thinking on my part, however.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I've seriously considered the L1d. Plenty bright, and yet more pocketable. It kind of bugs me that I can get the L2D that's about twice as bright for only $2.50 more. That makes it hard not to just spend the extra couple dollars since I'd already be spending $60. Probably not very "practical" thinking on my part, however.

Only the turbo mode. All the "general" modes are the same brightness for the L1D, L2D, and P2D.