Simple SF L1 question

nbp

Flashaholic
:confused: Just a simple question, doesn't need to go on long. I am interested in getting an L1 for my first Surefire, and after some searching, it seems that depending on where one buys, they may get slightly different lights. Such as maybe the seller is not offering the newest one, or one may get get different lenses (I realize that isn't a different version but an in-process change, but it's still different). So the question is: Is buying direct from the SF website my best bet for making sure I get the latest version and the best lens setup? Or is there a reason to look elsewhere? I hope this thread makes sense. If it doesn't, then I'm sorry.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
When you order from one of our supporting dealers (look at the MP or the banners) you can just tell them you come from CPF and want the latest and greates and all will be fine.
I suppose SF website is perfect, too, but cannot confirm for sure.
bernie

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you buy direct from SureFire, you're certain to get what you want, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't look at some of the dealers represented here on CPF. I know for certain that BatteryJunction carries them.

97t-bird

Newly Enlightened
I hope you havent bought this yet...........BUY it from optics hq dot com, call them ask about the membership tell them you are from cpf and what you want and you will be very very very very glad that you did I have bought 5 of my 6 surefires there excellent people to deal with....Greg

darkpeak

Newly Enlightened
+1 for opticshq, always great service and should be the latest SF L1.

jaythebull

Newly Enlightened
Optics HQ is great. I just ordered a L1 earlier in the week from them. Great service and an unbelievable price.

I purchased mine from batteryjunction.com back in September. There was actually an issue with the first run, and when I contacted MattK, he assured me that they were only shipping lights from the latest production run at the time. I haven't had any issues with mine.

The other thing to look out for is that there was a major re-design last year, and some retailers might be selling the older model. As Kiessling said in a previous post, if you order from a CPF supporting dealer, you can be assured that they'll take care of you.

nbp

Flashaholic
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I checked out the OpticsHQ website, and the picture they show looks like the older L1, definitely has a different bezel than the new one on the SF website. So I will have to contact them before I buy to make sure that I can get the newer one. Now, to find the money for it.....:broke:

Numbers

Enlightened
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I checked out the OpticsHQ website, and the picture they show looks like the older L1, definitely has a different bezel than the new one on the SF website. So I will have to contact them before I buy to make sure that I can get the newer one. Now, to find the money for it.....:broke:
I bought mine a couple of months ago, they only have new ones in stock. They their web site has a bunch of info on it (SF at Least) that is not the most current. They dont seem to get around to updating the site as fast as SF releases updated lights. Call them.

jayhackett03

Enlightened
i did NOT buy my L1 Cree from Optics HQ just because they had a 1st generation L1 pictured. Makes me think they're either lazy or didn't know that the L1 changed.

i bought mine from surefire.com

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or you could just go to the sales thread over in the CPFMarketplace and L1 cree offers do crop up with much cheaper prices....I'm an international buyer and most of my purchases are from there.

Numbers

Enlightened
i did NOT buy my L1 Cree from Optics HQ just because they had a 1st generation L1 pictured. Makes me think they're either lazy or didn't know that the L1 changed.

i bought mine from surefire.com
In 6 years of buying from Optics HQ I have never received other than outstanding service in all respects.

The OP asked where to buy in this thread, of the 8 direct responses 6 were OpticsHQ. You will see this high percentage of support for them over and over again whenever the where to buy topic comes up.

That said direct from SF works for plenty of people too.

Last edited:

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate buying direct from Surefire. I get charged tax (8.25%) on top of the retail price, plus shipping if I order something under $100. So that adds up really quickly...not to mention no special discount or incentives that the CPF dealers have. Dealers get newer models quicker than "common" buyers, too. I had wanted a black KX2 when it first came out, but was told they would be on backorder for 4 - 6 weeks! But CPF dealers had them almost right away.

Also, Surefire ships via UPS. Boo... :thumbsdow But that's for another discussion. haha.

Last edited: