Has anyone tried one of the malkoff quads?

fireluvrandrew

Newly Enlightened
Well I know all the other big maglite dropins have been reviewed and such, but i have yet to find one for the malkoff quad dropin, which is what im really interested in, if anyone has one can you please post pics or tell me about it? THX

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have the quad but I do have the MT-III Monster Throw III. The light output and large spill is amazing. He didn't have the quad when I ordered mine only a month ago. Based on the quality and light output of my MT-III I would not hesitate to get the quad. I like mine so much that I may end up getting a quad too!

fireluvrandrew

Newly Enlightened
has ANYONE at least tried one?? someone has to have them, they sell everytime where are u????

Drewfus2101

Enlightened
Based on the email updates that I have received from Malkoff, he has made about a dozen and all have sold right away. So they are out there. I don't know why we are not hearing about them though.

fireluvrandrew

Newly Enlightened
this is the most curious thing ever, everyone wants to know, there are 2 dozen in circulation, yet no one knows anything about them lol
WHERE ARE YOU QUAD OWNERS

merkaba

Newly Enlightened
I managed to snag one :D It is my first multi LED light... and by far the most powerfull light i have!!! I am REALLY impressed with it but i havent had to much experience with very powerful lights.

Ill get some beam shots tonight if no one else has uploaded any.

The unit installs flawlessly, i couldnt believe how easy it was to put it in the head and get working. It is a real no brainer!

Absolutely awesome drop in!

The output has WOWed everyone who has seen it, no one can believe how bright these led's can go!

Anyway if anyone has any more questions ill do my best to answer them.

Richard

fireluvrandrew

Newly Enlightened
:grouphug: your beautiful *tear* haha no but beam shots would be SPECTACULAR!!!!! thanks so much oh and :takeit:

Boostedvl

Newly Enlightened
I managed to get one of the Quad's too and have found it to be awesome.
I'm running this in a 2D with 5mega 6aa-2d adapter and eneloops.

Below is a beam shot picture comparing the Malkoff single LED drop-in and Quad. The picture doesn't do the brightness of the Quad justice but does give a good indication of the size of the hotspot.

I can say that the build quality is excellent! The hotspot is large and useful. It's very bright and does have decent throw and lights up a fair distance. My friends that are not flashlight freaks have been surprised at how bright this thing is and all have wanted to get one until they find out that custom torches aren't cheap!

2246218152_5b6260820f_o.jpg

Last edited:

Boostedvl

Newly Enlightened
Thanks NA8,

Too be honest I haven't run it long enough to find out! I'll try and give it a long run on the weekend and post the results.

All the best.

Drewfus2101

Enlightened
What kind of runtime are you getting with that setup ?

PS nice beamshot. :thumbsup:

Malkoff said that the Quad is regulated using 4 driver boards (one per emitter) with an input between 3.8 and 9 volts and output of 1150ma per emitter. He tested one using 4 NiMH (~4.8V) that pulled 3.5 amps and gave around 3.5 hours runtime. So I'd estimate that with 6 eneloops (~7.2V) the emitters should be pulling slightly more amperage, still under 4 amps, and since (I believe) eneloops only have around 2000 mAh thats about 30 minutes runtime.

Of course, I'm doing this calculations the same way I would do these for lithium ion batteries. I've been told this math doesn't work for Alkaline batteries though. So I'm not sure about NiMH.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff said that the Quad is regulated using 4 driver boards (one per emitter) with an input between 3.8 and 9 volts and output of 1150ma per emitter. He tested one using 4 NiMH (~4.8V) that pulled 3.5 amps and gave around 3.5 hours runtime. So I'd estimate that with 6 eneloops (~7.2V) the emitters should be pulling slightly more amperage, still under 4 amps, and since (I believe) eneloops only have around 2000 mAh thats about 30 minutes runtime.
The driver is designed to draw constant power (volts*amps), so higher voltage cells will push LESS current, not more. I'd expect a draw of about 2.4A, runtime of about 45 minutes.

This is also a good application for the Kaidomain 2D LiIon pack. With 7.4V average, and 5Ah, it should be able to drive the LEDs for over two hours.

Of course, I'm doing this calculations the same way I would do these for lithium ion batteries. I've been told this math doesn't work for Alkaline batteries though. So I'm not sure about NiMH.
Both NiMH and LiIon have fairly "flat" discharge curves, and low internal resistance, so you can estimate runtime for both of them based of of the mAh capacity. With Alkaline cells, they have a high internal resistance, so "sag" severely under heavy loads. An alkaline that delivers 20Ah at 100mA current, might deliver <10% of that in a load like this. Alkalines aren't really suitable at all for the quad due to the high current draw.

donn_

Flashaholic
Can you still focus the beam, like the single drop-in?

No. The stock reflector is set aside at installation, because the Quad rides in the head of the light. You can, however, 'shape' the beam with a lens wearing diffusion film. It softens and spreads out the beam for a bit less throw, but much more useful spill.

I have 2 of them. One is in a 2D with the above-mentioned Kai 2*D Li-Ion pack, and the other is in one of Mac's cut-down D lights, with 2x AW Li-Ion C cells. It's a very powerful drop-in.

Drewfus2101

Enlightened
The driver is designed to draw constant power (volts*amps), so higher voltage cells will push LESS current, not more. I'd expect a draw of about 2.4A, runtime of about 45 minutes.

This is also a good application for the Kaidomain 2D LiIon pack. With 7.4V average, and 5Ah, it should be able to drive the LEDs for over two hours.

Both NiMH and LiIon have fairly "flat" discharge curves, and low internal resistance, so you can estimate runtime for both of them based of of the mAh capacity. With Alkaline cells, they have a high internal resistance, so "sag" severely under heavy loads. An alkaline that delivers 20Ah at 100mA current, might deliver <10% of that in a load like this. Alkalines aren't really suitable at all for the quad due to the high current draw.

Good catch there. I don't know why I did that backwards. And good explanation on the alkalines. Really clears things up. Thanks

Drewfus2101

Enlightened
No. The stock reflector is set aside at installation, because the Quad rides in the head of the light. You can, however, 'shape' the beam with a lens wearing diffusion film. It softens and spreads out the beam for a bit less throw, but much more useful spill.

I have 2 of them. One is in a 2D with the above-mentioned Kai 2*D Li-Ion pack, and the other is in one of Mac's cut-down D lights, with 2x AW Li-Ion C cells. It's a very powerful drop-in.

You have TWO and NO beamshots? Shame....