How many lumens for the new P61 LED?

ugrey

Enlightened
Anybody with a new SF catalog, how many lumens for the new P61 LED? Also what is the runtime? Many thanks from those of us less fortunate.

ugrey

Enlightened
The new SF catalogs were just posted and they say 200 lumens for the P61 LED.

Size15's

Flashaholic
This might mean trouble for aftermarket drop in makers...
I'd like to think there'll always be room for the niche aftermarketers - CPF members aren't so shallow that highest possible output regardless of consequence is all we care about - are we?

djblank87

Enlightened
CPF members aren't so shallow that highest possible output regardless of consequence is all we care about - are we?

I think some of us are but it is nice to know the we have more options out there and with the P61L coming into play is just one more thing in the world of bright drop-ins.

The after market guys will always have there place cause as the industry moves foward so does the customs builders.

Lightmax

Newly Enlightened
How hard are they driving this LED? 1200ma? 1500ma? Is this a Rebel or a higher level Cree bin?

kavvika

Enlightened
I'd say yes, seeing as the P60L was made to run in the 6P(6v) and G3(9v), so the P61L should be just fine running 2x Li-Ion cells.

Size15's

Flashaholic
How hard are they driving this LED? 1200ma? 1500ma? Is this a Rebel or a higher level Cree bin?
There were no proto-type P61L's shown at SS2008 and PK didn't discuss it at the party that I recall so we don't know which LED SureFire intend to use, nor how hard they intend to drive it.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
So using the trusted factor of 0.65 that means over 300 bulb lumens !

0.65 is for bulbs, not LED's. SF can't magically get more lumens out of a Cree XR-E (If that is what is being used) than another company. If they are driving a Q5 at 1A, it's probably around 250-260 emitter lumens, or about 200 lumens out the front. It's the same as all the other high powered Cree Q5 drop-ins.

If SF is stating 200 lumens out the front, then we know the other drop-ins are doing the same, as long as they are both using the same LED's, drive current, etc. I doubt SF would push a Cree past 1A for reliability reasons and they shouldn't have to, to get 200 lumens out the front.

This is just speculation, until we know what LED is being used. :)

If it turns out to be the SSC P7 then they wouldn't have to drive it all that hard to get 200 lumens out the front.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Possibility that Surefire will use the new K2 "flip chip", that Streamlight is using in their new Super Tac. Runs cool with a low vf. Actually, who knows, it could be a new Seoul emitter.

Bill

pbs357

Enlightened
I think there will always be niche opportunities for smaller mfg's for things like differences in beam type, (optics, deeper/shallowe reflectors) etc. But sheer output is one of those primal attraction things...:twothumbs

sixshooter_45

Newly Enlightened
0.65 is for bulbs, not LED's. SF can't magically get more lumens out of a Cree XR-E (If that is what is being used) than another company. If they are driving a Q5 at 1A, it's probably around 250-260 emitter lumens, or about 200 lumens out the front. It's the same as all the other high powered Cree Q5 drop-ins.

If SF is stating 200 lumens out the front, then we know the other drop-ins are doing the same, as long as they are both using the same LED's, drive current, etc. I doubt SF would push a Cree past 1A for reliability reasons and they shouldn't have to, to get 200 lumens out the front.

This is just speculation, until we know what LED is being used. :)

If it turns out to be the SSC P7 then they wouldn't have to drive it all that hard to get 200 lumens out the front.

It might be that they are using the SSC P7

"U2B INVICTUS , late this year, 400L!! with SSC P7, 8 output levels(2-200) + strobe + sos, fuel guage as UA2 but 2x as bright, not focusable and undoubtedly more spendy." :whistle:

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire have not confirmed which SSC LED they are using in the UB2 - only that it is a 10W LED they are likely driving at 8W and that SureFire have exclusive rights to use it (for an unspecified limited time).