Surefire 6P Upgrades?

bspofford

Enlightened
I would like to upgrade my 6P and have inserted a "255 lumen" Q5 LED module. Please help with some other simple mods:
1) Will replacing the pyrex glass for AR glass help?
2) How do I remove the momentary switch in the tailcap, or do I need to replace the entire tailcap? Is the G&P any good? Are their any two-stage tailcaps?
Thanks!

flash_bang

Enlightened
it would be much easier for people to suggest mods/upgrades to your 6P if you give us some type of lead, as in, I want more output, runtime, two stage ability, clicky, etc.

Flash

Monocrom

Flashaholic
With the exception of the G&P R500 Scorpion model, best to stay away from G&P products.

By tailcap, do you mean the one made by G&P that also has a built-in strobe feature? If so, that tailcap actually drains batteries. Very slowly, but still; even when not in use, it drains the cells. I'd avoid that one.

dano101

Enlightened
what kind of drop-in did you actually put in? was it a reputable drop-in or an ebay 'take your chances' drop in/

A new lense might help a tiny bit but ive found the surefire lense to be actually quite adequate (as long as you keep it clean).

And if you want to go with a switch upgrade, i would reccomend buying a new clickie tailcap made by surefire. Even though some may complain about the quality of surefire clickies, youll have better luck in my opinion than purchasing another brand... and if anything goes wrong they will warranty it.

Some other simple upgrades to consider might be running rechargeables (nothing for performance but will save u some bucks in the long run) as well maybe an extender (lighthound has the detonator) that will add some runtime to your 6P.

If you really dont care about the quality of the end result have some fun and add stainless steel strike bezels and weird tailcaps n stuff...

dano

bspofford

Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback thus far. I forgot to mention, that I already have Li-ions and chargers for the 6P. I have several Q5 modules including DereeLights, and I also have SSC P4 modules and CREE P4 modules from DX.

I hope to find a clicky switch to take advantage of multimode DereeLight modules, and they work fine with forward and reverse clickys. If I can find a hi/low/off two-mode clicky, I might use the one-mode module. The G&P tailcap on LightHound offers strobe, but I don't need this mode. The black HAIII tailcap for the 6PD is almost as much as my entire 6P, so I was hoping to find a cheaper alternative like just changing out the switch. I also considered cannibalizing a Surefire knockoff light from Kai. I have some nice two-mode LumaPower switches that seem to be the right size, but I can't figure out how to remove the momentary switch on the 6P. The momentary on my MRV raps out rather easily, but I can't get the Surefire to budge.

Regarding AR glass, one CPF member reported a increase in 2000 lux in his Q5 MRV knockoff after upgrading from glass to a UCL. This surprised me, but I'm willing to spend another $6 for coated glass if it helps that much.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

dano101

Enlightened
i wouldnt doubt that there was that much LUX increase by changing glass in one of the cheaper lights, id still bet however that theree wouldnt be that much of an increase in a more quality light with an already adequate lense. Just my opinion though. Ive done it b4 in a surefire and never noticed a thing. I did however notice a change in switching out the Mag Lenses etc.