L1 vs. EB1

nmaynan

Newly Enlightened
Can anybody provide some feedback on how these two lights compare. No need to go into the obvious stuff like lumens difference. But how do the switches compare (one clearly preferred over the other?). How about weight and balance in your hand? Do you find one is easier to carry or deal with in some way?

I'm trying to decide which light to get. Would really appreciate any info as it becomes available.

Thanks.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got the "Backup" today. I like the clicky 2-stage more than the twisty of the L1. It also seems a bit brighter than the L1 an a better beam, no rings just a nice hotspot and good spill.

I think I prefer the "Backup" over the L1......for now, its only not even been a day with it.:duh2:

I REALLY like the new clip design!!:twothumbs:naughty:

Last edited:

RPM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saw the E1B Backup at the show... I think my L1 cree days are numbered.
The two stage UI is easy to use and the light is simply good looking.

nmaynan

Newly Enlightened
You think Surefire will revamp all upcoming lights to this new switch design? or will the twisty stick around for some?

RPM

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I have this correct...The message from PK at the show was "3V"... three variables.

Variable output, variable color, and variable beam pattern.

I would assume that could come from different interfaces...twist or click, but I would count on more of what we see now.

mspeterson

Enlightened
It isn't the switch that has changed. I can use a Z52 twisty tailcap on the Backup without problem, as well as a Z57/61 clicky tailcap. The change is in the head, she's a smart one.....

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dunno - it's hard to decide between them. The L1 twisite seems like it wil be more robust and harder to break in a drop. The knurling is really grippy and nice.

The E1B is easier on the pocket, smaller, brighter and dimmer :) and easier to carry. I suspect they will both outlast me, but the L1 gives me a little more confidence for extremely hard use. The E1B doesn't seem like it's going to go anywhere either. Very tough call!

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the L1's tailcap a lot more than the E1B. This is especially true when I'm trying not to ruin my night vision in the dark. I can just press lightly for my low mode in the L1, and then if I need brighter light, I press further. When I turn on the E1B, the first thing that happens is the high 80 lumen blinds me, ruining my night vision. Even if I just do a soft press and then quickly press to the low light, it's still like lightning in a dark room.

So in that instance, I prefer the L1 (or my ML-1 in my case). But if I just train my brain to think that the E1B is mainly an 80 lumen pocket rocket, and just ignore the fact that it can be dimmed, then it doesn't bother me that so much light comes on first. ;)

Plus, my ML-1 happily gobbles rechargeables. But I guess it's not a fair comparison since the ML-1 cost me $200+. I'll have to send my E1B to get modded by milkyspit and then compare those two!

Last edited: