Scratched my Novatac...

cmaylodm

Newly Enlightened
So I got my brand spanking new 120P and checked it out, and of course the modder in me got to thinking, "Hey, this Novatac could use some mods." I decided to get a UCL lens, 7/8" glow o-ring, 17670 tube, and USVOH emitter. To make a long story short, I scratched the bezel pretty good and unfortunately scratched the body pretty badly too, on the smooth part right near the bezel.

:oops:

I "fixed" the bezel by filing the rest of the anodizing off, making it silver and giving it a rugged look. However, I don't know what to do about the body. I was thinking of painting the smooth part with a coat of white paint, followed by a coat of super bright green glow paint from Glow, Inc. Will I need to remove the anodizing where I plan on painting? Any other ideas on how to cover up a few scratches on an otherwise perfect light?

cmaylodm

Newly Enlightened
Normally I don't mind scratches from usage (have a big nasty scratch on my KT4 turbohead!) but these are obviously scratches due to my lack of good tools and excitement to get my mod on. I would just like to turn this negative into a positive and perhaps come out with something cool in the end.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
No need to do anything..... all those little scratches give a light character, and besides, the first ones are always the worst.... now you can relax and enjoy your new light without worrying about scratching it!

dano101

Enlightened
Ive found the Novatacs actually look a bit better with a bit of battle damage on them. Makes them look like they were intended for an actual work/tactical purpose, rather than spending alot of time in someones jean pocket. Theyre built tough and look great with some scarring (lust not on the lense itself).

My opinion anyways,

Dano

Patriot

Flashaholic
To answer your question, no...you shouldn't have to remove the anodizing if you do choose to paint it. Just rough it up with a piece of 220 grit, clean it thoroughly with rubbing alcohol or white Coleman fuel and paint right over the top of it. That's not an area that typically take abuse or wear so it should hold up well.

scottaw

Enlightened
Youre seriously thinking of repainting??:tsk: Doctors orders....go outside, drop that light on the driveway, throw it in the mud/snow (whetever ya got today) and rinse it in the sink. Now place back in pocket and say "real scars" :twothumbs

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
lsdingcropsm.jpg

An image of the first ding on one of my first flashlights. Man I was bummed.

For one thing get the tool they sell at lighthound.com designed for bezel removal. It is a kit which comes with a spare lens and some diffusion.
There is no way to "repair" this except to gut it and have it re-anodized.
Big pain in the ***.

One thing to know is that aluminum self heals and shortly the oxidized aluminum will fill the scratch. the color will be different but in time...
As they say time heals all wounds including those on aluminum.

Back to the HDS kit I just realized it will not work on the novatac...Use a rubber glove ti remove that bezel in the future.
Good luck.
Oh and one more option is to use a sharpie to "fill" in the scratch. It may help but it wears away fast.
Yaesumofo

Patsplace

Newly Enlightened
You could chuck the damaged piece in your lathe, turn the damaged part back a bit, cut a few grooves and Bob's you Uncle, A Custom!!

Don't have a lathe, you must have a buddy with one.

If you were handy with a file you could file the damaged area away, all the way around and Voila A custom!!

Or you cold throw it down the driveway, soak it in the snow and......
Voila...... Character!!!!

Bummer!

djblank87

Enlightened
Well you could fix it some how I'm sure or you could throw it around outside and run it over with your car, send a couple of rounds down range at it then hit it with a baseball bat.

Then you would have a really mean looking NovaTac. :eek:

e2x2e

Enlightened
You SCRATCHED it!! Thats bad...its worthless now, you might as well send it to me now so I can take it off your hands :). Haha I'm just kidding the real thing to do is scratch it some more. Thats what it is for!