Help Modding a P3D

TooSharp

Newly Enlightened
I've got a P3D Q5 that I would like to mod, but can't get the bezel unscrewed for the life of me. I've tried two different brands of strap wrenches (both are junk), I've tried heating the bezel. Got any ideas before I take a couple vice grips to the light.:help::hairpull:

jmw19

Newly Enlightened
I've had the best luck from heating the bezel with a heatgun, to around 150 degrees F for several minutes. This is uncomfortable to hold, but not to the point you burn yourself.

Once the assembly's warm, I wrap the rubber from two strap wrenches around the top and bottom of the bezels, clamp down two sets of pliers, and twist. The rubber should be thick enough to prevent damage to the anodizing, and gives plenty of traction.
Once I feel the adhesive give way, I can usually use the straps and my hands to open the head the rest of the way. Less time near the pliers means less chance of damage.

The adhesive Fenix uses is pretty brittle, so it's easy to remove from the threads once you have things open. I use a small flat-blade screwdriver to push out the big chunks, and reassemble and disassemble a few times to get the little stuff.

cat

Enlightened
Put the strap of one of the strap wrenches in a vise. (Put the strap around the torch behind the bezel and clamp the strap in the vise.) Easier to hold than two strap wrenches.

TooSharp

Newly Enlightened
Thanks jmw19 & cat. I tried the hairdryer, I guess I'll go pick up a heat gun and try it. I unfortunately don't have a vice.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try using two short lengths of a thick rubber band under the strap wrenches. Wrap them in the direction that you need to turn to get the head open. The combination of heat, and the extra grip should do the trick. For a better idea of what I am talking about, click the "Fenix L0P Seoul Mod" in my signature.