"Supercharged" FENIX P3D/Q5 Outshines ALL Others

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Some of you may remember an earlier thread titled "Turbocharged Fenix P3DCE Outshines All Others..."
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/166050

This new thread is the next "evolution" of that older thread using recent LED upgrades. In the older thread I put a Fenix L2D 3v head on a P3D 6v body with extraordinary though potentially hazardous results unless the runs were very short to avoid excessive heat buildup. The purpose of that thread and this one is not practical, but simply fun for brightness fanatics. (Though it also suggests what we may expect with future superbright LEDs.)

For this thread, I put a Fenix P2D/Q5 head on a P3D body and the result was gasp-inducing, truly like "a flamethrower of white fire". The "regular" P3D/Q5 looks almost dim compared to this new monster.

I don't have a camera, but others posted pics in the previous thread, and I'm sure some intrepid souls will take photos for this one.

Remember, if you try this be very careful not to allow the head to get too hot. Limit the runtimes, and it is probably best to do this outdoors.

Have fun and watch your eyeballs!

Brightnorm.

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: "Turbocharged" P3D/Q5 Eclipses "Regular" P3D/Q5 & ALL others!

NEVER KNEW ABOUT THAT THREAD, NOT SOMETHING I WANT TO TRY BUT DAMN

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
um... all the CREE fenix heads are exactly the same except the engraving on the side. so a P3D Q5 is exactly the same as an L2D Q5 head on a P3D body.

The P3D head is a buck converter. The P2D/L1D/L2D are boost converters.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I can't answer technically, but if you have a chance to try this I don't think you'll be disappointed. It may be the brightest light of its size in existence at this time, although admittedly, it isn't a practical light.

I'm looking forward to someone posting comparison photos like those that appeared in the previously mentioned thread.

Brightnorm

Last edited:

99SS-T

Newly Enlightened
What kinda runtime would you suggest? I understand 0 is the only safe number, still you did it successfully! GJ

John

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I generally judge it by how hot it gets, usually less than 30 seconds. I don't allow it to get really hot. As I said before, it's mainly for enjoyment of our Flashaholics brightness obsession. It can also have a useful function to quickly and briliantly illuminate a person/object at close or medium close range.

Even though it isn't designed as a thrower I have used it to very brightly light up 5th floor windows on a travertine building wall (fairly light in color but surrounded by strong ambient light).

Hopefully, the P3D or similar size lights will have this capacity in the not-too-distant future,.

Brightnorm

jugg2

Enlightened
What if you had one of the 3 cell bodies from Fenix-Store? I wonder if that would make it even brighter...

jugg2

Enlightened
If I had the money, I would try it myself. But I have to sit out of light purchases for a while, this is a very expensive hobby...

Masque

Newly Enlightened
All right, I gave this a shot. (Thanks to my son, and his willingness to hand over his P2D Q5 without asking why I'd want it.) It did not appear any brighter than the P3D Q5 head did, but it got warm to the touch within moments. That is, after 5 seconds of runtime on "turbo" it felt similar to the P3D Q5 head after running on turbo for a minute or more.

Maybe I'll break out some 100% fresh 123s and take some beamshots tonight, just to be sure. Anyone interested in beamshots?