It's been awhile...BEAMSHOTS!!

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of you may remember my old beamshot threads, and it's been awhile since I did a new thread. Since my last ones, I have thinned my collection down a lot. My lights that remain are strictly users, I do not own ANY shelf queens. This thread contains most of my LED lights, and one light that is my buddy's(hopefully soon to be CPF'r).

Here are the contestants, minus my friend Dylan's stock 6PL and my Brinkmann:
collection2.jpg

Here is my Brinkmann, it is my dedicated budget weapon light on my Bushmaster M4 with Elzetta mount:
AR-15.jpg

On to the beamshots which were taken in my basement(sorry for the mess) with my Canon S2IS in manual mode. Fixed settings on all shots. Auto white balance. Distance from light to far wall with TV, 11yds.

First up, the Draco on high:
draco.jpg

Fenix LOD with SSC P4 and 10440cell, on high:
LOD.jpg

Novatac 85P 1xRCR123, on Max:
Novatac.jpg

Dylan's Surefire 6PL 2xCR123's:
6PL.jpg

Brinkmann with Lighthound Q5 drop-in 2xCR123's(on rifle):
Brinkmann.jpg

My Ultimate 6P on 2xRCR123's with lighthound stainless-steel head/bezel, UCL lens, Leef tailcap, Leefgrip, sanded knurling, and now equipped with a Malkoff M60 Q5 drop-in :devil: :
Malkoff.jpg

My Gotham 1x18650, on high:
Gotham.jpg

Apex Pro headlamp, SSC P4 swap, shaved IMS 20mm reflector 2xCR123's:
Apex_Pro.jpg

Maglite 3D with terralux SSC P4 drop-in, UCL lens, 4x"C"cells:
Mag3D.jpg

Dereelight DBS V2 R2-bin on high, smooth reflector, 1x18650:
DBS.jpg

That is all! I want to thank Dylan for his help in the "shootout" and hopefully he will register and introduce himself in the near future. Any and all comments welcome, I hope you all enjoy! :)

OceanView

Enlightened
Thanks, nice beamshots. Interesting how the Mag 3D beam is so tight that nothing surrounding the hotspot region is illuminated in the room. It's like looking up from the bottom of a dark well at the full moon. Even a thrower like the DBS has a big spill region. Actually, considering how bright it is, I wonder how much of the DBS spill is actually reflected light from the back wall?

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
You forgot to turn off the room lights before taking the Malkoff shot ...:crackup:

:laughing: The Malkoff is the brightest of all the lights in this thread. According to my lightmeter, it's putting out somewhere in the area of ~250 lumens out the front!!! :party: The next closest is the DBS at ~200 lumens, and my Gotham at ~175 lumens. That Malkoff is one fine piece of work, amazing tint, good spill and suprising throw! The only way it could be any better would be if it had longer runtime at max brightness......wait a minute, guess I could just throw my Malkoff head on my Leef 2x18650 body for a runtime beast :thinking:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the beamshots. They showed the M60 at its best. The M60 has a good hot spot for throw, and lots of generous and bright spill. :) I think it has the brightest, and widest, spill out of those shots. The DBS is the winner for most intense hot spot for throw.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M60 and DBS seem to be just about the best in their respective categories. Great devices worthy of the high regard in which they're held.

Wilkey

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M60 and DBS seem to be just about the best in their respective categories. Great devices worthy of the high regard in which they're held.

Wilkey

That is exactly how I feel. Matter of fact, for the first time in my life I feel completely satisfied with my LED lights. For me there are a few categories. My DBS is the king of the throwers. My Malkoff is the king in the tactical, all high throw/spill category. The Gotham has the big EDC category covered, the Novatac has the small EDC/low lumen category, and the Draco is king of the keychain lights.

Now that I have this combo, I can finally let my Gotham see some "shelf time". I carry my Novatac in my jeans pocket, Draco in coin-pocket, Malkoff 6P holstered on belt, and my DBS in my coat pocket. With those four lights on me, I have every one of my personal needs covered as far as lighting goes :)

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry my Novatac in my jeans pocket, Draco in coin-pocket, Malkoff 6P holstered on belt, and my DBS in my coat pocket. With those four lights on me, I have every one of my personal needs covered as far as lighting goes :)

I often carry a similar combination, but cheaper. :) I usually have a P2D, LOD-CE, Liteflux LF2, Arc AAA (those three between my two keychains), SF G2 with M60 in coat pocket, Regalight WT1 in coat pocket, and I may have a Dereelight CL1H or DBS in my pocket. It's funny to think about how many total lumens we can now carry around in such small packages. :)

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I It's funny to think about how many total lumens we can now carry around in such small packages. :)

It's amazing isn't it??!! As far as all the lights I carry everyday, the Draco is the one that amazes non-flashoholics the most. Because it's small size, almost every single person will tun it on while looking directly at the emitter :poof: Usually profanity comes out of everyone's mouths first! :D

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey BVH! :)

Strauss, that's a lotta lights but it seems like you carry to optimize capabilities for all potential applications. I carry only one that I feel is the best compromise for the anticipated use conditions. Different philosophies, same love of lights. :D

Now around the house, that's a different matter. I've got different lights stationed all over the place to suit the needs in that room or area. Nuts? Possibly. Loving the occasional power outage? Yeah. ;)

Wilkey

Burntrubber87

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, i'm Dylan from Strauss's original post. First post here on CPF. I agree that the malkoff setup in strauss's 6P looks awesome, even more so in person.

Aepoc

Enlightened
Not only does the beam and the exterior of the light look fantastic, but the guts are even more glorious. Strauss how about a pic of the malkoff drop-in itself? Everyone should be able to enjoy such fine craftsmanship.

Its been a while, but great work once again. :thumbsup: This will give some good comparisons for people interested in any of these lights.

PS i'm lovin my new 18650's. Blasting people with my turbo head never gets old.

Last edited: