McGizmo's "Arm's Length Mule" L1 Head

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have long been a fan of the iconic SureFire L4. "Pocket rocket," "wall of light," and "creamy beam" are all phrases that have been associated with this widely admired production light. Amazing output for the size and a beautiful, flood-biased beam that's as smooth as it is punchy are its distinguishing characteristics. On the downside, it has also earned the nickname "hand warmer" for the tremendous amount of heat generated and dissipated by the 5W Luxeon V LED in the compact head.

I've carried one almost since the day of its release and almost a half dozen units have passed through my hands and I've gone through just as many lithium ion batteries. This is testament to how I used this light: hard and frequently. My very first unit served me well even to the very brink of disaster. This story is documented on page 11 of the 2007 SureFire Illumination Tools catalog. Yes. I am that Wilkey W. and "trusty" now serves the son of a good friend.

From 2003 until the beginning of 2008, the L4 was my only EDC light. Carried in either of two RipOffs holsters (one for the light alone and one paired with a Leatherman Wave) it was my faithful companion at home and abroad.

Over the last few years, I drifted away from flashaholism as the demands of graduate school mounted. The only constant reminder of that fascination was my trusty L4. And then this year I rekindled the light bug and started visiting this forum again. And when I did, I learned that LED lighting had advanced to almost unimagined levels and the LuxV was considered archaic. And so I found new reasons to revisit the concept of EDC.

My first flashlight purchase was another SureFire, the L1-Cree. My initial disappointment with and subsequent acceptance of this torch were documented in this thread. I soon followed that up with a Dereelight CL1H DI and all of a sudden I now had three distinct EDC lights. The L1 for nighttime at home, the L4 for routine daytime carry, and the CL1H for travel and away from home nighttime use.

I came to appreciate the L1 for its dual levels and compact size and I soon adjusted to a twisty cap in contrast to the clickie on my L4. It was surely smaller and the two-levels made it much gentler for checking on the children at night. It was a good light.

And then one day, Don McLeish, "McGizmo" chimed in response to something I had posted on the L1 and offered to send me a new head to evaluate, the "Arm's Length Mule." It seemed that Don understood my primary usage condition and appreciated the specific light properties most amenable to that use. What is needed is a smooth beam with a gentle and broad transition from hotspot to spill. The L4 provided this but the L1 did not in "as received" form. And so in the thread I linked above, I showed off my lightly modified L1 with an embedded lens from a SF F04 beam diffuser. Now this was a light that was just about ideal for close-up and night time indoor use.

Well, today a box arrived from Hawaii and in it was the "Arm's Length Mule," ALM. Throw junkies need read no further. This head has essentially none. But for my primary use, it has instantly become the gold standard. The output of the Cree XR-E LED is robust and without any optic, lens, or reflector, it generated the most perfect, useful pure flood beam I've ever seen. It was superior even to the absolute reference, the SureFire holographic beam diffusers. And so without delay, here is a photo exposé of this amazing little head.

First, let me start with the vital statistics. The Cree XR-E LED is housed in a bezel that attractively fluted and finished in black HA. But most stunning about this head is the size. It is tiny and is in fact shorter than the L1 tailcap and only slightly larger in diameter! The L1 head is positively gargantuan by comparison with the ALM merely 47% of its volume. The measurements given below don't tell the whole story though. The ALM transforms the balance and handling of the L1 improving it immensely. Whereas I was always conscious of using the L1 as a tool, the ALM-L1 felt telepathic in the hand. I dare say that now this light is perfectly proportioned.

L1 Cree Head: L - 38.10mm, D - 28.02mm
ALM Cree Head: L - 20.07mm. D - 25.16mm
L1 Tailcap: L - 29.10mm, D- 23.54mm

Let's start out with a "beauty shot."
ALM_L1.jpg

The ALM-L1 is a stunning 3.5" in length (not including rubber switch cover) and perfect for smaller hands employing the "police" or hammer grip.
L1_ALM_00.jpg

This first montage presents the obligatory wall-shot but against a brown door instead to provide greater dynamic range. All component images were shot at ISO 200, 1/2 sec, f3.5, 19mm. For all montages, high mode is the top row, low down below, L1 Cree/F04 on the left, ALM-L1 on the right. At this exposure, you can clearly see the difference between modes and the fact that even with the F04 lens, there is a hotspot. A gentle, broad hotspot, but a hotspot nonetheless. The ALM produces a truly uniform bright "space." I did not include shots of the L1 without the F04 because the beam is so intensely tight, it does not compare.
L1_ALM_45.jpg

This next set of images demonstrates performance at the maximum end of my indoor use range, about 75" to target or a little over 6'. The hotspot of the L1-F04 is clearly discernible as is the ultra smooth plane of flawlessly uniform light from the bare LED in the ALM bezel. Beyond 6', the extremely diffuse light is still useful but much dimmer as would be expected. ISO 200, 1.6 sec, f3.5, 19mm.
L1_ALM_75.jpg

This final montage illustrates the relative performance of these bezels at my most common use range, up to about 33" or arm's length. The images accurately reflect the lights' beam characteristics. When examining white or light colored targets, the spot of the L1-F04 is still sufficiently concentrated to induce a bit of night "bright blindness." With the ALM, however, this is not the case. The light from the ALM suffuses and evenly illuminates the entire visual field. The output can no longer be called a beam. Instead, I'd refer to it as a "light field," perfectly diffuse, perfectly uniform, and essentially devoid of artifacts or features. In other words, perfect. ISO 200, 1/3 sec, f3.5, 19mm.
L1_ALM_27.jpg

And so there you have it, the ultimate light for my in-house, close up use. Another McGizmo creation and one that I am grateful for having the opportunity to have tested. Thank you, Don!

Wilkey

Last edited:

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is a reflectorless light "amazing"? I've been recommending that since '06, before Crees were even out, and it doesn't need a McGizmo light to work.
Hmm, it seems to me that a general statement, casually made such as this:
If flood is more important to you than focusability, you can always remove the reflector.
hardly qualifies as a history of consistent, constructive, and targeted prescriptions per specific applications. Or are there other instances where you do provide such advice?

I've used reflectorless lights, notably Maglights in candle mode, since the early 1990's so true, the idea is hardly new. But then again, the L1 is not a reflectored light, and neither is a torch with the included reflector or optic removed specifically designed and purpose-built to be such. This is not a hack or a mod. It was backed with a design intent. It was conceived and executed to be the best possible light for a specific class of applications and it's successful in that objective. Perhaps some would count that as merely meeting expectations, but in my mind, that doesn't preclude it from being excellent or amazing.

Wilkey

nuggett

Enlightened
Thats excellent. I use my Zebralight with a Q5 emitter, same output as your L1. must call McGizmo

Empath

Flashaholic
Tigerhawk, testing out what CPF will do as an exercise conducted from a hostile thread on another board will not be tolerated.

In response to your exercise there to "find out what happens when someone (yours truly) questions the originality of McGizmo's Mule concept" simply to demonstrate that CPF "protects certain products" will not be tolerated.

You can either dispense with your baiting here, or remove your pointer to your baiting there. You're free to participate there all you want without any concern toward us, unless you conduct baiting and such as part of a baiting excercise from there.

I guess that's your answer to "let's see what will happen when you bait".

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Thanks for the nice review and pics, Ginseng. I think you'd also appreciate the Zebralight for its similar qualities. Certainly not as robust, but much smaller, and AA powered.

Greta

Flashaholic
Tigerhawk, testing out what CPF will do as an exercise conducted from a hostile thread on another board will not be tolerated.

In response to your exercise there to "find out what happens when someone (yours truly) questions the originality of McGizmo's Mule concept" simply to demonstrate that CPF "protects certain products" will not be tolerated.

You can either dispense with your baiting here, or remove your pointer to your baiting there. You're free to participate there all you want without any concern toward us, unless you conduct baiting and such as part of a baiting excercise from there.

I guess that's your answer to "let's see what will happen when you bait".

Quite frankly, I've had enough of this childishness. Not to mention, it's not the brightest thing to do some baiting here on CPF and then go to another board and announce your baiting and post a link to it. No... not the brightest thing at all.

"Protect" McGizmo's lights? No need for that. Don is more than capable of defending himself... if he feels defending is necessary and/or worthy.

Take a week off Tiger. And do some catching up on CPF Rule #4.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Makegizmos "Arm's Length Mule" L1 Head

How is the ALM any different that a stock Mule?
What drive level is it running at?
here are the guts of one of mine. a special Gizmo gem with a "different" emitter:

nichiaclose.jpg
or something with a custom carbon fiber disk to make it pretty.
blueCRSM.jpg

Anyway the point is that the mule has been around both in concept and reality for some time.
The notion of a reflector less emitter isn't really new but it's packaging is.

I also am a BIG fan of the L4. I have a few of them. A couple of my favorites are:
DSCN7591smcr.jpg

Both do well with a single cell power supply. The wall of light effect is second to none even today there are no other lights which exhibit this beautiful wide angle beam of the KL4 head.
The mule is different in that there is no hot spot.
Since I put together my first mule it is basically my go to light for anything which needs illuminating out to about 10 foot interior.

I am curious about the ALM concept. what is new or different about it vs a "normal" mule?
Yaesumofo

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nuggett and Flying Turtle,

Thanks for the lead on the Zebralight. You wouldn't happen to have a preferred vendor for that light would you? I have a ton of AA rechargeables laying around and if the ZL is relatively inexpensive, I'd consider getting a few for friends and family.

Wilkey

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,

I said I'd post my impressions and I did. I'm truly sorry that some goof decided to pick this thread to take a swipe at you. I've always respected your work and as a fellow flashlight designer (many leagues your inferior) I understand the many ways we invest ourselves in our creations.

Wilkey

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The only vendor of the ZL I know of is www.zebralight.com. At this point there are two models, the P4 for $39, and the Q5 for $49. There's plenty of info in the reviews section. Some of us have gotten bum units, but they've always made good.

Geoff

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Wilkey,

I am glad you like the L1 "dumb" Mule head. Thanks for the kind words.

Yaesumofo,

This head is identical to the Aleph Mule head in form and the front end. It doesn't have an E-compatible Light Engine though. I had some custom contact PCB's made and designed a can that hosts the XR-E MCPCB and these contact PCB's.

I have enjoyed making various "dumb" heads and by dumb, I mean no converter, for L1's since they first came out. I really like the reduced size and efficiency of the latest L1 and and I think the stock L1 offers a good functional light. However, you can't beat an even flood beam if it is up to the task at hand.

Tigerhawk3,

I don't consider a flood beam amazing unless it is in contrast to a tightly collimated beam and brought to bear in comparison for illuminating near field objects. The difference then might be considered amazing to some but no surprise really to anyone who has given it some thought. From Empath's post, it seems you question the originality of the Mule concept. I doubt I have claimed anywhere that this is an original concept.

My very first, built from scratch flashlight, the original McLux, was a flood light:

mcl1-2.jpg

I noticed that the first mod shown on my flashlight web page was that of an Arc AAA that I converted to a flood flashlight:

epoxy-lens.jpg

I have been a proponent for flood beams since I got involved in flashlight modding and design simply because it is a personally preferred beam pattern whenever viable. The brighter LED's these days extend the range of a flood beam and allow them to be used with success in more applications than previously possible.

In the picture below, perhaps you can see what I had in mind with this mod:

L1D-side.jpg

switch-index.jpg

There have been many threads and mods and discussions on flood beams here on CPF but perhaps they were BT (Before Tigerhawk3). :shrug:

Possibly contrary to what you might think there might well be substance, discovery and exchange of ideas here on CPF, BT (and AT, for that matter. :nana:)

I am sorry you treated Wilkey's thread with a rude and disrespectful post and especially if your intent was to take some shot at me. There is another forum, underground, where you can address certain issues without disrupting the rest of the community.

Patsplace

Newly Enlightened
Mr. McGizmo
Nice stuff. Wall of light to 10' and all in a good looking 3 1/2" package. Very nice indeed.

I'm new to high end lights but I can only imagine what 10' of Zebralight is like as I have one of those and find it a joy. No hot spot is a thing of beauty.

If it were not bad enough that I have more flashlights in the mail, I feel the modding bug nibbling at my toes and my lathe is calling. Oh well, here we go again. Another obsession!!

McGizmo

Flashaholic

If it were not bad enough that I have more flashlights in the mail, I feel the modding bug nibbling at my toes and my lathe is calling. Oh well, here we go again. Another obsession!!

Welcome to the world of fixing flashlights that aren't necessarily broken! :nana: :thumbsup:

The Zebralight mentioned in this thread is a cool looking light!!

ExZeRoEx

Enlightened
I just personally bought a Mule off another member, and I can't wait to get it to see how far the wall of light goes when I go for a mid-night stroll. I also think McGizmo's more recent lights are about just the secksiest things I've seen.:rock:

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wilkey,
I am glad you like the L1 "dumb" Mule head. Thanks for the kind words.

I really like the reduced size and efficiency of the latest L1...you can't beat an even flood beam if it is up to the task at hand.

I have been a proponent for flood beams...because it is a personally preferred beam pattern whenever viable. The brighter LED's these days extend the range of a flood beam and allow them to be used with success in more applications than previously possible.
Well articulated and exactly what I was thinking but didn't say. Thank you for making this point about the new, higher output LEDs and fitness for specific uses.

The only vendor of the ZL I know of is www.zebralight.com. At this point there are two models, the P4 for $39, and the Q5 for $49. There's plenty of info in the reviews section. Some of us have gotten bum units, but they've always made good.

Geoff
Very cool lights! Thank you for that link.

Wilkey

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Wilkey,
I think for any application, there is a minimum acceptable lux, on target. By the same token, there is a maximum acceptable lux on target as well, beyond which you get a wash out and overwhelmed.

Last year, I started on another Mule variation that is still in the works and I am not ready to show all my cards yet. It uses a pretty cool LED which is not up to the flux levels we are enjoying from the Cree and Seoul these days. What prompts me to mention it now is that I have designed and ordered a lens for this LED which condenses its output some to bring it more in keeping with the Cree based Mule. Certainly it will be viable bald headed as well but I think it needs to have somewhat higher lux to be more versatile in applications.

Somewhere I have a simple foot candle meter that may be 40 years old. It is analog and along with it came a table of minimum suggested light for various tasks. This meter was for use by engineers and maintenance folks in evaluating illumination in the work space. Here on the forum, we have often discussed levels of light at the target but the primary emphasis is more on considering the target's distance and the lux required to illuminate it from a significant distance. The term throw implies distance and significant distance, at that. Kogatana used to claim of the early LED lights that they merely tossed whereas a good incan could throw. Well today's LED's can throw but certainly there are times when a "wide angle" toss is really what we want.

With a typical flashlight, the source of light and the viewer are in essentially the same position and the inverse square law must be considered over a distance that is twice the distance from light to target as it is the intensity of reflected light returning to us that matters. With a viable floodlight, one can bring the light closer to the target and even consider leaving it positioned elsewhere from where one might stand or sit while viewing the target. I think I am rambling here but a point I wanted to make is that with a floodbeam, aim is not so critical and makes illumination easier as a result.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice.l Don thank you for the explanation.
I should have been able to figure that out.
The light you made with the dual mode switch and side mounted wide angle emitter is WAY cool. I really love that concept.
You have a brilliant mind for this stuff!!!
Thanks for being here. So mant of us would still be in the dark in your absence.
Yaesumofo

Last edited by a moderator: