Opinion on this light

1pt21

Enlightened
Oh yeah forgot to mention, if you do plan to pick up one of the combo packs be sure to see the end of the thread for the item# that still brings these in at $20 before shipping and tax!!!

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
opposite opinion!

maybe that pice is of acceptable quality, but think of cost actually using it
(and if cost of the CR123s is not of concern, then unnecessary garbage should be)

if it absolutely has to be incan: Streamlight Scorpion 18650 from www.lighthound.com

but You will be much better with a Fenix P3D - if it has to be a similar sized light
(also runs on rechargeable CR123a Li-Ion cells)

1pt21

Enlightened
I'm not sure how much cost is a concern to you, but i mean the light is $20, comes with a free knife, free sheath and a free set of duracell 123's. I don't think I fully understand the comments above me, but as I said in it's stock form it is essentially an incan 6P clone?

I never ran mine with the incan bulb however, pulled it out immediately for the DX SSC drop-in. Also picked up a set of protected RCR123's with the drop-in. After all was said and done i was <$50 in the hole for a pretty damn decent edc/beater/modder to mess around with. Obviously you can also run a 17670 with that drop-in, or you can see the link from above for some cool ideas on opening it up to fit an 18650 which I plan on doing when I have some time one day.

Again I am very pleased with the light considering how much I have into it and won't lose sleep if I ever lose the thing (as I would if I lost my 6P or even one of my G2's for that matter).

Hope this helps in your decision.

big beam

Enlightened
I have the 4 cell light.I like it a lot.It does use P60 style drop-in's so you have lots of options for either leds or incans.I think its a digilight but I could be wrong.
DON

kramer5150

Flashaholic
A couple weeks ago it was $19 with a house brand knife. At that price its worth a look, especially if youre going to mod it anyways. At $29+S/H however, IMHO its not worth it, since you can get a 6P for $42 shipped on ebay.

knucethelight

Newly Enlightened
Just received my light/knife combo and i will have to say its got to be one of the best values I have bought. Seems to me that both the light and knife are going to be a great buy. I have the upgrade to the light on the way. From 65 lumens to 200 should make it a great light.

Wattnot

Enlightened
A couple weeks ago it was $19 with a house brand knife. At that price its worth a look, especially if youre going to mod it anyways. At $29+S/H however, IMHO its not worth it, since you can get a 6P for $42 shipped on ebay.

I just got mine today but I haven't opened the package yet. You can still get this combo for $19.99. Check the very END of that CPFMP thread. There are new codes that bring up the $19.99 deal.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
First time posting here, what a great site! Will take weeks to learn everything about flashlights :grin2:. Anyway, i am looking to for a new light and was wondering if anyone has had one of these? comments -good or bad- about this light. Thanks....

I own the LED version of that light. Not bad. But nothing special either. That Cabela's model is a re-badged G&P light. Thing is, with the exception of their Scorpion model, G&P lights don't have a good reputation for reliability.

Spin

Enlightened
In my "opinion" do not be influenced in purchasing a light because of a "free" knife that comes with it. This would be similar to buying a box of cereal or crackerjacks because of the toy inside.

Wattnot

Enlightened
In my "opinion" do not be influenced in purchasing a light because of a "free" knife that comes with it. This would be similar to buying a box of cereal or crackerjacks because of the toy inside.

That's good advice normally but there are members who brought this to the attention of other members through the Marketplace section because it is a decent knife and it is a decent clone flashlight even at a higher price.

BMF

Enlightened
That's good advice normally but there are members who brought this to the attention of other members through the Marketplace section because it is a decent knife and it is a decent clone flashlight even at a higher price.

+ 1

Monocrom

Flashaholic

I seriously doubt it's a decent knife. It's a liner-lock design. Thing is, liner-locks need to be made perfectly in order to be reliable. If it was a knife from Benchmade or Kershaw or any other brand with a mountain of experience in making quality liner-locks, that would be one thing. But what you get for free is some No-name model, most likely made from cheap parts, with an emphasis on making the knife merely look attractive.

Yes, it's a very attractive looking knife.... with a very questionable lock. I wouldn't try my fingers to it. The light is from G&P. It's likely decent, but nothing special. If it malfunctions, just pull out the back-up light you're carrying. If the lock on the knife malfunctions, just pull out the spare set of fingers you're carrying.

BMF

Enlightened

I seriously doubt it's a decent knife. It's a liner-lock design. Thing is, liner-locks need to be made perfectly in order to be reliable. If it was a knife from Benchmade or Kershaw or any other brand with a mountain of experience in making quality liner-locks, that would be one thing. But what you get for free is some No-name model, most likely made from cheap parts, with an emphasis on making the knife merely look attractive.

Yes, it's a very attractive looking knife.... with a very questionable lock. I wouldn't try my fingers to it. The light is from G&P. It's likely decent, but nothing special. If it malfunctions, just pull out the back-up light you're carrying. If the lock on the knife malfunctions, just pull out the spare set of fingers you're carrying.

I know nothing about knife but this combo is at $60 regular price, who's gonna buy it at that price anyway? I have a Craftsman knife, see I told you I don't know about knife, and it costs $30 few years back but I love this knife better than shorter but fatter Crafstman.

I have both Cabelas clone and 6P. I love using Cabelas more than 6P because it's exactly the same and I'm not worried about dropping or loosing it even though all my lights haven't had a chance to go out of the house yet.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I know nothing about knife but this combo is at $60 regular price, who's gonna buy it at that price anyway? I have a Craftsman knife, see I told you I don't know about knife, and it costs $30 few years back but I love this knife better than shorter but fatter Craftsman.

You bring up a good point. For $60, that price is very close to a brand new Surefire 6P. I'd rather buy that, than the Cabela's combo.

A Craftsman knife is one thing. At least you know who makes it. The Cabela's knife.... like I said, it's a very attractive knife. But looks aren't everything. Here's hoping the lock on your's holds up.

Dantor

Enlightened
I really like the combo, the knife isn't bad, could be way worst, but I will not trust my life or fingers to it! only light/backup duty for it.

I put in a 235 drop-in in my light and I am way satisfied with it. The body/tube construction is nice and the knurling is pretty decent. I got it to start modding and get a feel for it (I'm hooked).

I never thought/fooled myself that it would be exactly like a surefire or benchmade. just a clone and I'd get it again.

good luck with yours :)

Last edited:

GPB

Enlightened
I just ordered one of the light/knife combos for 20 bucks. Unfortunately AFTER I placed the order I noticed that the light in the "combo" pack is different from the regular Cabela XPG Xenon lights. If you look at the cheaper one, there is only 1 hex/anti roll ring at the head of the light.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...Image=0&Ntt=flashlight&Ntk=Products&QueryText
=flashlight&Ntx=mode+matchall&N=4958&trueNum=44&redirect=true&select
edPerPage=72&firstPage=true

If you look at the regular Cabela 6/9/12 volt Xenon XPG lights, you can see there are 2 hex rings on the tail end of the light, so it appears that the light in the combo pack is a different light than what some of the folks here have been giving some positive reviews for. Now I don't know what I've got ordered....but it should be here friday.