SF E1L Dual Output - * * UPDATED * *

hcd615

Enlightened
I saw on the SF site yesterday that it would be available in March. I went back to the site later yesterday and the March message was gone. I called SF and the lady told me it was available so I ordered one (overnight shipping), I will let you know if and when it arrives.

Last edited:

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SF E1L Dual Output

I don't know if I'm a huge fan of them doing dual output with a digital driver board. :candle:

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the heads up. I may just purchase the new dual output KX1 head to replace my single mode E1L.

BigD64

Enlightened

I have a 2 stage E1L (prototype?) mine is about 15 lumens on low and 50 on high. High comes on 1st.

ridetime

Newly Enlightened

Anyone have comments/comparisons on this light compared to the E1B? It seems like they are very similar, only trading runtime for output.

Zenster

Enlightened

I have a 2 stage E1L (prototype?) mine is about 15 lumens on low and 50 on high. High comes on 1st.

I have to say... if that's true, then the new E1L doesn't make any sense.
If the E1L came on low first, it would be a great compliment or option to the E1B which comes on high first.

But if the E1L actually does go high first, then it's virtually identical to the E1B being the exact same size and not so different in lumens to make much of a difference.

So where did you get your E1L "prototype" from and was anything said about it being a "final" version?

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have to say... if that's true, then the new E1L doesn't make any sense.
If the E1L came on low first, it would be a great compliment or option to the E1B which comes on high first.

But if the E1L actually does go high first, then it's virtually identical to the E1B being the exact same size and not so different in lumens to make much of a difference.

The E1L body is totally different from the E1B body. Quite a few members have opted to put the head and clip from the E1B onto the older E1e/E1L bodies for the knurling. The E1L is shorter, too. Plus, the reverse clip of the E1B is quite revolutionary.

The new E1L is supposed to be only 45 lumen on high...which is significantly less than the E1B's 80 lumen.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast

Please, let me understand something...

What make the modes on those SF ? Is it the head ??

I mean... If I take a EB1 head and puts on a L1 body (just for the knurling), does it will have the 2 modes (80 and 5 lumens) in a L1 body ??

Sorry about my ignorance...

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast

Please, let me understand something...

What make the modes on those SF ? Is it the head ??

I mean... If I take a EB1 head and puts on a L1 body (just for the knurling), does it will have the 2 modes (80 and 5 lumens) in a L1 body ??

Sorry about my ignorance...

That won't work. The E1B's circuitry is in the head, whereas the L1's circuitry is in the body. If you put the E1B head on the L1 body, the two circuits will just grind against each other and you won't even be able to screw the head on. If you put the L1 head on the E1B's body, you'll probably fry the LED in that head since you're just directly applying electricity to the LED.

The E-series heads have the circuitry in the head. The L-series have the circuitry in the body.

(I found out the hard way when I put an L1 head on an E2e body...:poof: :mecry: )

Last edited:

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast

The E-series heads have the circuitry in the head. The L-series have the circuitry in the body.

(I found out the hard way when I put an L1 head on an E2e body...:poof: :mecry: )

Got it... I didn´t know that!

I´m sorry that you discovered it in the worst way. :ohgeez:

hcd615

Enlightened

I will let you know how the light works and if it is High Output first or Low Output first. I will have the light today UPS tracking says.

Last edited:

const451

Newly Enlightened

That won't work. The E1B's circuitry is in the head, whereas the L1's circuitry is in the body. If you put the E1B head on the L1 body, the two circuits will just grind against each other and you won't even be able to screw the head on. If you put the L1 head on the E1B's body, you'll probably fry the LED in that head since you're just directly applying electricity to the LED.

ttran - thanks for the great info. Would it be safe to say that E-series is a better investment since you can upgrade the head later?

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast

ttran - thanks for the great info. Would it be safe to say that E-series is a better investment since you can upgrade the head later?

It's just a matter of preference. The L1 is upgradeable too...but it takes a bit more work. In my case, I sent mine off to a milkyspit and he upgraded the circuitry and put in a Cree Q5 emitter, boosting my output to 220 lumen!

But it is easier to upgrade the E-series by buying a new head later on when something else comes out. You'll often see the term "Surefire Lego" being used, and especially with the E-series. Originally, there were the E1, E1e, E2, E2e. Those were incandescent lights. Then came the KL1 LED heads that were meant for those lights. After several versions, the next big step was the short-lived KX1 & KX2 head (single mode). Now the KX1 & KX2 with two modes are out. Plus, you can put the E1B's head on the E1e body as well.

As you can see, there are a lot of things that can be done with the E-series, which is why a lot of people love them!

TNRonin

Newly Enlightened

Oh baby, I'm gonna have to get a KX1 head. I like my E1L, but I like to pick my brightness levels also. These are going to be very hot tickets. IMHO.

Mitchell

hcd615

Enlightened

Ok, I have the light in my hands.

First when you press the tailcap it goes to LOW output first then HIGH output.

Quoting from the manual:

RESET FEATURE:

The Surefire E1L and E2L are equipped with a switch reset feature. If the tailcap pushbutton switch remains in the off position for longer than two seconds, it is programmed to activate the low-output beam the next time the switch is pressed. This feature is automatically activated when the flashlight is turned off from either the momentary-on or constant-on mode.

MOMENTARY-ON:

For momentary-on low output beam, partially depress the tailcap pushbutton switch.

For momentary-on high output beam, first partially depress the tailcap switch for momentary on low output beam (per above). From this position, release the pushbutton switch, returning it to the off position, and then partially depress the switch again within two seconds.

CONSTANT-ON:

For constant-on low-output beam, fully depress the tailcap pushbutton switch until it clicks on.

For constant-on high output beam, first click the tailcap pushbutton switch to constant-on low-output - or momentary on low-output (per above). From this position, click the flashlight off and back on again within two seconds.

Last edited: