Proton Pro - feeling the love!

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Since neither HDS nor Novatac seem to have any intention of bringing out a 1xAA version of their beautiful torches, I'm always on the lookout for the perfect 1xAA model from someone else. After reading a few reviews, especially TIN's great thread here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/182920&highlight=proton+pro, I thought I'd splash out on the Proton Pro, especially since the Nitecore Defender, another well reviewed 1xAA torch, is currently unavailable.

The Pro arrived today from Lighthound and after playing with it for quite a while I have to say that I'm very impressed. Extremely impressed. Basically the light is nearly all pros, in fact so many pros that its one very major con is not enough to prevent it from instantly being pressed into EDC duties in my jeans coin pocket.

Pros:
- Great build quality, does not look or feel in the least bit cheap or rattly.
- Interesting retro futuristic look, completely different from the macho knurling and/or aggressive angles on many current lights.
- Very decent (but easily removable) pocket clip.
- Very slender and easily pocketable.
- Simply brilliant single button UI offering almost infinite brightness control in both red and white mode (through PWM). Even offers strobe, SOS and momentary mode operation.
- Great throw, useful spill.
- Usefully (not insanely) bright white beam (maybe 70lm), down to a very useful low white (<1lm) which won't blind the dark adapted user. And of course the red LED modes are perfect for low light work such as astronomy, checking on kids etc.
- Nicely regulated with all 1.2-1.7V AA types), low battery warning, etc.
- Great value for $60

And the con:
- The worst asymmetrical ringy cree beam I've yet seen on a torch, and I've seen some bad ones (eg 1st release P1D-CE). In fact it possibly shares the worst LED torch beam honours with my UK 4AA eLED. Not just white wall bad...

Neutral observations:
- PWM frequency is noticeable but not to the annoying level of say the Fenix L0D. I can certainly live with it

I sincerely hope LRI read CPF, because I'm certainly not the first person to beg for a version with an OP reflector, which would go some way towards making this my perfect AA light. The only other things I could think of to make it 101% perfect would be the option to start off in lowest white mode and ramp up, same as for the red LED, and increase the PWM frequency.

As many others have said, there's just something intriguing about this relatively inexpensive little torch which makes it a winner even despite its one glaring fault.

Sorry if I've just repeated the obvious in YAPPT (yet another Proton Pro thread), but I'm just feeling enthusiastic about this light :)

Last edited:

bltkmt

Enlightened
Great review and I must agree...a great little light. I have it and an NDI on my nightstand and rotate them into use constantly. I was initially disappointed with the slightly greenish tint on my Pro, but came to appreciate it as it does render colors better than the NDI.

My only gripe is that I wish I could ramp from low to high (like the red LED does)...or have some sort of memory so that it came on at the level last used.

But, overall I love this light and consider it a keeper!

cv3po

Banned
Yup, I've been :thinking: over this one since they went to cree. If they only did away with the red beam and made it start with really low white, which for my needs is more useful than red light, I'd have one on my belt right now. As it is........................:shrug:

83Venture

Enlightened
I wish it had a memory for returning to the last used level also. That would let anyone start at the level they want and would address the people who would like it to start at low and ramp up on the white LED. This one change would fix two of the most common requests.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I, too, wish the main started on low, or better still had last level memory. Still, in actual practice it has seldom mattered. It does ramp down pretty quickly. I think it kind of depends on how often you want to be turning it on and for what purpose. For prowling around the house I use a different light. As a "whatever need arises" EDC it's great.

Geoff

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I'm glad you like the Pro. I too have some issues, if you want to call the issues, as mentioned here. I'd prefer ramping from low to high. I'd like an optional reflector to ease out the beam. That being said, it's not difficult to get the reflector out and stipple it yourself, with whatever works for you. I thought I read somewhere where hairspray works somewhat.

Also, be sure to read up about the 3-minute auto shutdown easter egg as well as the 50% power low-mode RED easter egg.

Apex007

Newly Enlightened
And the con:
- The worst asymmetrical ringy cree beam I've yet seen on a torch, and I've seen some bad ones (eg 1st release P1D-CE). In fact it possibly shares the worst LED torch beam honours with my UK 4AA eLED. Not just white wall bad...

That was my only complaint too. The fix is so simple though. Unscrew the bezel (just the top part not the whole head!) tip out the reflector into your hand, place it on a tissue and give it a few blasts of aerosol hairspray. Drop reflector back in, screw the bezel/lense retainer back on and enjoy a much smoother beam pattern. If you don't like it, just run the reflector under some hot water to remove.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
That was my only complaint too. The fix is so simple though. Unscrew the bezel (just the top part not the whole head!) tip out the reflector into your hand, place it on a tissue and give it a few blasts of aerosol hairspray. Drop reflector back in, screw the bezel/lense retainer back on and enjoy a much smoother beam pattern. If you don't like it, just run the reflector under some hot water to remove.

Thanks Apex007, great idea. I'll have to get hold of some cheapo spray and try it myself. I tried making a diffuser with a bit of tape but it killed the output.

TIN, I've implemented both easter eggs, and the 3 minute timer is here to stay!

Last edited:

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Well I tried the hairspray and it certainly did the trick, the beam has gone from appalling to merely bad :)

One small problem, I dropped the lens and O ring and can't work out whether th O ring sits between the reflector and lens, or over the lens but behind the bezel. Can someone please advise...

edit: I have decided on o-ring between refelector and lens.

edit 2: I've compared the newly textured reflector and it comes up very favorably with my other cree lights with OP reflectors. Great fix, I might try it on a few other torches too!

Last edited:

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone who has tried the hairspray deal done a full run on high yet? Does the hairspray stay in its place or does it kind of re-melt?

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Anyone who has tried the hairspray deal done a full run on high yet? Does the hairspray stay in its place or does it kind of re-melt?

I played with mine constantly on high after the hairspray fix and even though the head got a bit warm the "sputtering" stayed in place. It might depend on what brand you use?

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought mine from PJD, who had put a circle of WriteRight under the lens---it does a good job of smoothing out the beam.

I think waynejitsu was selling some WriteRight-like material on B/S/T recently.