Problem with SureFire EB1 Backup Interface?

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a SureFire EB1 and love it. However, I am having a problem with the interface. I am not sure it is a problem with my particular light, or with my operation of it. When I follow the directions and toggle between high and low output, I find that once every 6 toggles or so, the light doesn't switch outputs. If I press partway down and get high and then quickly press again, usually I get low output on the second press. However, occasionally, I just get high again on the second press even though I did it quickly. The same problem can happen if I am in low. Sometimes I press again while in low and get low again, instead of it switching into high.

Has anybody else had this problem with their light? I have read elsewhere on this forum that some people disliked this new SureFire interface, but I thought the major issue was it starting in high output rather than low. I didn't think there was a problem with the switching of outputs.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have noticed what you describe. I find the cause to be from clicking the switch too fast. The SF interface is actually one of the nicer one's I've used. Many other lights I've used require the very quick clicks to change modes. You are probably like me and have gotten used to trying to be very speedy when using such lights. The SF is much more forgiving. A liesurely press works great. Now I just have to unlearn the bad habits developed with other lights. The Backup has gone to the top of my EDC roster.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I, too, thought I was too quickly pressing, but that is not the case. I do notice that if the flashlight has not been used for a while, the switching problem is more likely to occur, even on the first two presses. I have tried lifting my thumb off the button between presses to be sure I was allowing enough time, between. Still the problem, occurs about every 6 to 10 presses. It is annoying enough that I would exchange the light for another, if my light was defective. However, if this is a design problem that most people are experiencing, I may just return it.

Last edited:

southernlites

Newly Enlightened
I have noticed what you describe. I find the cause to be from clicking the switch too fast. The SF interface is actually one of the nicer one's I've used. Many other lights I've used require the very quick clicks to change modes. You are probably like me and have gotten used to trying to be very speedy when using such lights. The SF is much more forgiving. A liesurely press works great. Now I just have to unlearn the bad habits developed with other lights. The Backup has gone to the top of my EDC roster.

totally agree

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Mine does the same.
Could be the changing resistance in the switch upon depression that makes the circuit "jump" cycles, meaning count false. Just an idea.

And no wonder they didn't get complaints like this ... who else if not CPFers cycle the poor light through gazillions of klicks instead of using it ? :nana:

bernie

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine does the same.
Could be the changing resistance in the switch upon depression that makes the circuit "jump" cycles, meaning count false. Just an idea.

And no wonder they didn't get complaints like this ... who else if not CPFers cycle the poor light through gazillions of klicks instead of using it ? :nana:

bernie

Well, it is very frustrating using it in the middle of the night trying not to wake up the wife with the bright beam, double pressing it to get it from high to low and finding you are still in high. The first time this happened to me I thought my eyes were just too well accomodated to the dark and I was being blinded by the low beam, only to find it was using the high one. It does not take a gazillion presses with mine to make it jump the cycle. I fear it is a design fault if others are experiencing this, but will probably try another EB1 before giving up. This glitch wouldn't be so bad if the light always started in low rather than high.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps the switch contacts were not "debounced" sufficiently by the Surefire level switching circuitry.

BigD64

Enlightened
I just bounced mine off the wall about 100 times. I think it double brighted 1x. But it could have been me ...... i see spots.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it is very frustrating using it in the middle of the night trying not to wake up the wife with the bright beam, double pressing it to get it from high to low and finding you are still in high.

I have the same problem, but should we expect Surefire to redesign a light meant as a tactical back up light so we can take a leak in the middle of the night without waking up our wives? :p The SF E1B wasn't designed as a tactical get to the bathroom light, so if we want to use it for that purpose, we shouldn't complain when it doesn't do what we want, as we knew what it would do before we bought it. It's still fun to use for night time navigation around the house, especially with the F04 diffuser, but I have other lights that will turn on in low, like the Nitecore DI, Fenix P2D, etc, if I don't want to disturb anyone.

Also I realize your issue is with the double press, I find I just have to press slower, like if I tap tap real fast it may stay in high, but if I tap then wait a half second and tap again it usually goes to low.

Size15's

Flashaholic
If the desire is for low-high rather than high-low then the E1L would seem more appropriate than the E1B.
If the two-way clip and sleek design is a must then perhaps SureFire will offer the KX1 in black HA in the future? An alternative is to get a two-way clip [if and when SureFire are able to offer them]

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the same problem, but should we expect Surefire to redesign a light meant as a tactical back up light so we can take a leak in the middle of the night without waking up our wives?
Also I realize your issue is with the double press, I find I just have to press slower, like if I tap tap real fast it may stay in high, but if I tap then wait a half second and tap again it usually goes to low.

Hey, very funny. Yes, SureFire needs to redesign this light if this is a fault with its design, ESPECIALLY since this is a tactical light. In that case it is mandatory that you get to the setting you want without a hassle. If your regular light fails and then your Backup fails to do what it is supposed to do, seconds count and you could be in trouble.

In my case it isn't critical I get up at night to go to work and don't want to wake up my wife. I don't think I am asking much by expecting a premium light to act like a premium light, unless SureFire isn't all what it is cracked up to be. This is my first SureFire and perhaps I am expecting to much, with all the hype SureFire is given around here. But with a name like SureFire, shouldn't the light be sure to fire the way it is supposed to, every time. Slowing the way I press the button makes no difference. Even if it did, it shouldn't take practice to use a flashlight. The problem, albeit intermittant and unpredictable, is still there.

On Monday, I plan to return it to BrightGuy. Fortunately, he is around the corner from me. If his demonstrator has the same issue, it could be mine came from the same bad batch. I only posted this thread to see if I was the only one bothered by this problem, since SureFire claims my complaint is their first about the switching. Apparently other have seen this problem with their lights, but are living with it, either because it happens infrequently, or because they are otherwise happy with the light and just put up with this one quirk.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been playing with mine, and I'm sure mine does the same thing as yours, but I'm seeing if there are ways to reduce the issue. When the light hasn't been used for a bit, try tapping it on and you'll be in high, then release your finger from the button completely before tapping again for low. See if you get low a greater percent of the time, if not all the time. I think the problem happens the most when the light has been off for awhile and you tap-tap and it stays in high, but usually by not completely letting go of the button, but releasing it enough for the light to turn off. I think taking your finger off the switch may help either completely break the connection, or give enough delay so it knows to go into the next mode.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same situation here. If the light has been off for awhile, you cannot do the quick double-tap to get to low. You need to tap, pause, then tap again for low. After the light is on, you can switch back and forth as fast as you want.

The only other quirk I find is going from high to off to high again quickly. An example would be that you are checking on a something in a far corner of your property using high. Nothing there, so you depress and the light is now off. As soon as the light goes off, you hear a sound from the same area, but when you go to investigate, you get the low beam.

I realize that the OP is not entirely happy with his light, but to call these user properties a fault in design is stretching it a bit I think. I'd agree that is not the fastest nor most efficient ways to get from off to low (or high to high quickly), but it works as advertised IIRC.

While I like the E1B okay enough to keep it, I understand that it has these user properties that I'm not too fond of. So, it will retain its aptly named 'backup' status to my L1.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been playing with mine, and I'm sure mine does the same thing as yours, but I'm seeing if there are ways to reduce the issue. When the light hasn't been used for a bit, try tapping it on and you'll be in high, then release your finger from the button completely before tapping again for low. See if you get low a greater percent of the time, if not all the time. I think the problem happens the most when the light has been off for awhile and you tap-tap and it stays in high, but usually by not completely letting go of the button, but releasing it enough for the light to turn off. I think taking your finger off the switch may help either completely break the connection, or give enough delay so it knows to go into the next mode.

I have consciously tried what you mention. Lifting my finger off the button, before hitting it the second time. If the light has been off for a while, it still misfires, not infrequently, no matter what.. Instead of Low with the second press, I still get high. Furthermore, why do we have to be so careful about lifting or not lifting our fingers; waiting a half second, or a second, etc. There is something wrong with the interface if it is that tricky to operate correctly.

As I read this thread and see how tolerant people are of this flaw, I am rather puzzled. Shouldn't we all expect more from SureFire, which is the Rolls Royce of flashlights. Are the people who only buy SureFire mesmerized by its name and its history of quality products willing to accept a design problem with this new model. I hope not. However, unless we complain, there is no way they can improve this product.

BigD64

Enlightened
The not waking the wife in the middle of the night thing, I've said it in other posts KROMA low red and watch out for the squeaky board.

CandlePowerForumsUser

Enlightened
you could twist the head to change modes. click on high. twist head loose and tighten quickly. I tried it and it works. I prefer using the clicky tho

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the people who have responded indicating they also notice occasional misfires with button presses, getting high after high or low after low, are there people who NEVER experience this? In other words are the some good EB1's that don't have this problem? I am still trying to figure out if there is a defective design in the interface, or a just a defective design in a batch of these lights.