Best tactical single cell EDC ?

_Shawn_

Newly Enlightened
This is my first post here at Candle Power Forums but I've been reading posts for some time, and somewhere along the line have caught the bug. Is there a cure?

Please help choose the best LED tactical backup/everyday-carry light.

Parameters:
  1. Durable (can hold up to recoil and some abuse)
  2. Bright enough for a backup tactical light.
  3. At least two light levels, with a good run time on low.
  4. Tail cap switch. With fist click/press to high.
  5. Small, something that will fit in a front pocket comfortably.
  6. Use 123A lithium (but not a must)
  7. Warm beam color for a LED.
  8. Prefer to spend less than $120
  9. Nice to have the option of using a rechargeable.
  10. Anything else that is needed for a small EDC tactical light.

My use will primary everyday use, walks w/out street lights and camping. Other uses include low light training at the range when not using my Surefire M2.

From reading recent posts I think I have the top contenders.
- Surefire E1B
- Surefire E1L (45lumens may be to low for tactical use)
- Fenix P2D Q5
- Novatac 120T or Novatac 120P (complex UI, and more $ than I would like to spend )

Thanks, :grin2:

jefflrrp

Newly Enlightened
In short, no. There is no cure. You will constantly yearn for smaller, brighter lights or lights that have more runtime. You'll watch a movie and sit at the edge of your seat when you can tell which type of flashlight is used by ________ (insert hero or heroine or bad guy here). You'll look at your collection of 6-7 lights and want 3-4 more. Later on, you'll look at your collection of 9-10 and say "oh, 2-3 more won't hurt". It never stops. Your wallet may never forgive you.

I'd recommend the SF L1 Cree (65 lumen high 1.5 hours, 10 low lots of hours), but Im not sure about using a rechargeable in it.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend the E1B or the NDI. I personally like both and would feel good about using either. If you are considering the front pocket only for carry then the NDI.

Bill

_Shawn_

Newly Enlightened
I can already feel my wallet getting lighter.

The SF L1 will replace the E1L on my list.

How does the NiteCore Defender Infinity (NDI) beam compare to the E1B when using a normal AA in the NDI? Is it as warm? Appear brighter?

Buckeye

Enlightened
1 vote for the P2D. I have the Rebel 100 version. You might consider the Power Pack from Fenix Store. It has the P2D Q5 and an extra L1D body along with some other accessories. The P2D loses the lower levels with rechargeable 123As and is not recommended by Fenix. The L1D body lets you use NiMH AAs for those "Guilt Free Lumens". The low on my P2D RB100 is enough for 80% of my needs for an EDC. Don't forget the Fenix Store discount.
Happy Flashlight Hunting. :devil:

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
The SF L1 will replace the E1L on my list.
I bought both, and kept the E1L ... both the E1L and the E1B are small at 4.0", versus 4.6" for the L1 - that's a huge difference in the pocket. For me, the L1 was too large for a single cell light.

For a $120 budget, the NovaTac 120E seems the best fit for what you want. Preset at 10/42/120 lumens + disorienting strobe, tough as nails, 3.3" long ... just about ideal for your specs.

http://www.novatac.com/edc.html

Wattnot

Enlightened
I see the rechargeable requirement is low on your list with the words "nice to have" in there. If it were must have, I would second the Novatac. But since it's not mandatory, the L1 Cree and the P2D Q5 (premium) are both great. I had the P2D first and was very impressed by it. However, I just got the L1 Cree and I'm far more impressed with that! Even though it's rated at just over 1/3 the lumens of the P2D, once you get past 100 feet, the L1 Cree demolishes the P2D. The throw is incredible. I hit my house from 200 feet away last night and I kept turning around to see who had the nerve to be putting that much light on my house at the exact same moment I was trying to test my light !!

I should add that I traded my Novatac 120P for the L1 Cree (and some cash) and I'm very happy with that decision. The Novatac is a neat light but it's not as bright as the P2D and the UI and I weren't getting along that well. The ability to take rechargeables is a nice feature but with the power requirements of the Novatac, and the capacity of the battery, plan on carrying a couple of charged batteries with you and changing them often.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Shawn,

You mention that you're using this secondary light as a backup to your M2.

Well, in order to do things to where your muscle memory is identical to use with your M2, you need to ensure that your backup/secondary light operates the same to your M2.

Hence - you really need to choose a light that has a forward click/momentary or twisty/momentary switch. As much as the Fenix is a really good light, I don't believe that it has a forward click switch.

This also means that you want high as the first and foremost setting on any multi-mode light (electronic based) or a two stage forward twisty.

My recommendations:

SF E1B Backup
Novatac 85T or 120T
SF L1 Cree
NiteCore

You also may want to consider:
E1e with Lumens Factory bulbs
Surefire Legos - like a Vital Gear 1x123 body with a OpticsHQ E2 LED Head

-Steve

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The main reason the Fenix P2D won't work here is because of its reverse clickie.

The E1B or new L1 would be a good backup light. The Nitecore should also work.

jugg2

Enlightened
When I read your requirements the firt thing I thought even before looking at your list was E1B, or L1. I have been considering either one of these, or both for myself (unfortunately it won't happen for a month or two though).

Wattnot

Enlightened
Well if tactical is high on the list (and looking again, it's in the TITLE!! LOL), I'm not sure if the Novatac is perfect for everything you want after all. I only owned mine a week but I don't recall any way to do momentary on FROM OFF. I might be wrong about this but the first push of the button brings on the "primary" and then you can hold the button for "maximum." When you release the button it doesn't go off, it goes back to "primary." Novatac names those and you can (at least with the 120P) program whatever you want to those names but I don't believe you can program it for the very first press to be momentary. If you can live with that then the Novatac is an excellent choice. In a truly tactical situation, if I'm correct about the UI, it would be very disconcerting at the worst possible time. And besides all of that, the 120P is over $140 and the 85P is not probably not going to be bright enough.

My top vote will still go to the L1 Cree. It doesn't check every one of the OP's boxes but I'm not sure anything would at this point. New stuff seems to come out every week though. As for the P2D, I heard somewhere that you can get a forward clicky for it? If so, that could still be a good choice too.

Edit: Here's a thread that will help and it talks about some of the same things I brought up: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/191699

Last edited:

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Novatac 120 T turns on maximum when the button is pressed and held and shuts off when released if held for longer than about 1 second.

It's what I typically carry.

pbs357

Enlightened
My favs are the NDI and the Fenix P2D. The Fenix is the only EDC I have more than one of, because it's actually shorter than the NDI. Both are great. I've heard excellent things about the Novatacs but haven't bought one because of how thick they are in diameter.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you want a Surefire L1 or a Novatac 120P or 120T (120P can be set up just like a 120T or not).

Both are fantastic lights and would do a great job for you.

Regarding the cure for your urges to purchase lights: Visit this forum frequently, interact w/the participants and purchase the lights that you like. That is what I have done, and I am cured... yep... not a bit of flashaholism in my blood:nana:

If asked to choose between the Novatac and the Surefire, I would choose the Novatac because I prefer the beam from the reflectored Novatac over the optic in the L1.

jzelek

Newly Enlightened
I recently pick up a Novatac 120T in black for $110.00 shipped. About the same price as the Surefire e1b back-up.
Its a great little light thats made in the USA with 3 light levels (Surefire Back-up only has 2).
It also has a strobe feature that the Surefire doesn't have and it takes rechargables (Surefire Back-up won't work with them).
Go with the Novatac.

Masque

Newly Enlightened
As a side note, the NovaTac 120P can also be programmed to be ONLY momentary-on, if that floats your boat. I'd recommend replacing the switch with the 120T switch, however - the recessed button on the 120P is a pain to hit in a hurry, unless you happen to have four joints in your thumb.