Cat lost for 25 days on subway found

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I remember reading about a cat who jumped out of her carrier and onto the tracks in late January. I figured there was no hope of the owner ever finding her. Well, it turns out she was found 25 days later, not much the worse for wear. I'm guessing her diet consisted mostly of mice and rats as she wasn't severely malnourished or dehydrated. :D Amazing what survivors animals are. A human under the same circumstances probably wouldn't last a week.

Pher

Newly Enlightened
Yeah cats can just survive. We have a cat named Sache who was hunting in our haybails for mice and got caught in twine. We looked all over and couldn't find him. One day we heard a cat meowing in the bails and couldnt see who it was. We didnt think it could be him because he had been gone to long. Here it was Sache who had his hind foot caught in twine and the foot looked pretty bad because he had been trying to get out. We had to take our tractor to lift up the bails and cut all of the twine.
He had survived without food and water for 22 days.
We took him to the vet and he had to have his leg amputated because the bottom part of his leg was so badly tore up. He now gets to lounge on the couch all day.:cool:

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I totally agree. The recent blizzard in Ohio seemed to have little effect on the stray cats in our neighborhood. The looked kinda funny jumping high to get through the deep snow.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazing what survivors animals are. A human under the same circumstances probably wouldn't last a week.

Hmmm... Life in the Underworld (1989 NYTimes):

Beyond the subway platform exists an underworld known only to the most desperate New Yorkers and the transit police teams who search for them. Beyond the subway platform exists an underworld known only to the most desperate New Yorkers and the transit police teams who search for them.
It consists of the 700 miles of New York City's subway tunnels. Lighted by the occasional naked bulb and covered in a grimy steel dust, the world is increasingly inhabited by New York City's homeless, the transit police say.
It is a dangerous world, where speeding trains and the 600-volt third rails could make any misstep fatal.

Transit officials have no firm figures on the number of homeless living in the tunnels, but say they have found several hundred furnished rooms, some complete with running water, electricity, furniture and such conveniences as televisions, within the labyrinthine New York City subway system.

-Bill

jtr1962

Flashaholic
That excerpt sounds a lot like something from The Mole People by Jennifer Toth. While undoubtably some people do survive in the same environment as our feline friend Georgia did, a lot of her book has been criticized due to factual inaccuracy. I just think the cat did way better for a "first-timer" than most humans would. If nothing else, she was small enough crouch right under passing trains.