Forget the Drop-Ins, How's the SolarForce L2?

Confederate

Enlightened
Just came across this golden torch in DX for $41, but haven't been able to find any basic information on it other than people discussing drop-ins. As many products are in DX, you have some photos and of course, the price, but little else.

How's the light? The build? The runtimes?

I love the looks of the light, but am frustrated by the lack of info. I do understand this light was available early on in one mode only.

Edited to add: (specifications)

High quality CREE 7090 5 Mode XR-E Q5 LED with a life of 50,000 hours.
Constructed by aerospace-grade aluminum body Anodized in desert finish.
Stainless Steel/Metal Strike Flashlight Head.
Toughened ultra clear glass lens with AR coating.
Comes with push on/off button tailcap switch.
Waterproof and Shockproof.
270 lumens max output.
3 Levels(Low,Medium,High), Strobe and S.O.S.
Digitally regulated for constant brightness.
Operating Voltage: 3V to 9V.
Operated by 2 x CR123A, 2 x RCR123A or 1 x 17670 rechargeable batteries.
125-gram weight(excluding batteries).
146mm(Length)x32mm(Diameter).

Also, are there any generic red filters available for various lights? I've got one for my Fenix light, but wondered if there were blue, green, and red available in general sizes.

Thanks!

SolarForceL2.jpg

Last edited:

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I've said many a times here, to me the Solarforce L2 is the best inexpensive Surefire 6P clone on the market. I haven't picked up a tan colored one yet, but have thought about it.

Confederate

Enlightened
How about generic filters that can be attached to these torches? I was on DX and found some filters for $60+! I suppose they're made by some big name in the business, but even if they're triple coated, ruby quartz crystalline optical lenses, I can't imagine how they'd be worth that much.

I'd think there would be a market for these things.

As for the light, I'll kick on over and see what they're saying. I've been out of this awhile, so I have to brush up on what the Surefire 6P is and how this SolarForce L2 would compare to the Fenix Q5s.

Thanks.

sims2k

Enlightened
I have the black L2 and I am very impressed with it in term of brightness and how floody it is in medium distance. The SolarForce L2 outshines my two EDC lights: Romisen RC-F4 and Surefire L2. I use all three lights at work and at a distance of 250 feet and 450 feet ... these are the distance of one hallway in our building before turning a corner to the next building... the SolarForce L2 out-floods and out-shines the RC-F4 and SF L2.

bspofford

Enlightened
It seems that a lot of folks are only willing to say that this light is made very well and suggest that it is "almost" as nice as a Surefire 6P. Let me tell you why I think it is a better light. First, it's about half the cost. Second, the tailcap has a threaded retaining ring that allows easy access for such things as changing the silicone switch cover to GITD. Third, the lens is AR coated glass, not polycarbonate or pyrex. Fourth, common configurations include stainless steel bezels or heads and digitally regulated Q5 and R2 emitters. It isn't just half the price -- it's twice as nice as a Surefire. Yes, I am a heretic and proud of it.:devil:

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems that a lot of folks are only willing to say that this light is made very well and suggest that it is "almost" as nice as a Surefire 6P. Let me tell you why I think it is a better light. First, it's about half the cost. Second, the tailcap has a threaded retaining ring that allows easy access for such things as changing the silicone switch cover to GITD. Third, the lens is AR coated glass, not polycarbonate or pyrex. Fourth, common configurations include stainless steel bezels or heads and digitally regulated Q5 and R2 emitters. It isn't just half the price -- it's twice as nice as a Surefire. Yes, I am a heretic and proud of it.:devil:

Hey I won't argue with you there as I've been a huge fan of the Solarforce L2 myself for a while now. I love the fact that it's so inexpensive, surprisingly good quality and its complete compatibility with real and custom made Surefire classic format parts. Currently I own a few Surefires, and I've got Solarforce Stainless Steel Bezeled heads on all but one of them. I own 2 black Solarforce L2s and I'm considering getting a tan colored one. To this day, I'm quite surprised there aren't more people who know about them...but I guess there will always be those who prefer the "name brand" over the "generic". Now I wish Solarforce would come out with design variations while maintaining parts compatibility and also a forward clicky tailcap.

0dBm

Newly Enlightened
I've owned one in black for about 10 days. I like everything about it except the sharp crenelations on the bezel and the reverse clickie switch.

Yapo

Enlightened
I ordered a black xenon 1 off ebay a few days ago for $16...gonna put a dereelight droppin in it and sand/file out the body tube to fit in 18650...hope that works!

Last edited:

Yapo

Enlightened
heh yeh maybe...but i intended this light to replace my ultrafire 502b which is already running on some 18650s which i already have so i wanted to make use of them as well as having longer run time...1mm shouldnt be too hard to grind away!

Norm

Retired Administrator
I've owned one in black for about 10 days. I like everything about it except the sharp crenelations on the bezel and the reverse clickie switch.
My thoughts too, I would be tempted otherwise.
Norm

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
i paid the black Solarforce L2 Xenon type back in January for $15.49
and i replace the xenon drop in with DX sku 4068 total = $28.03
I could have purchased sku#11074 had that one available during that time and the total would be $32.39.
But since the Solarforce L2 has been so popular here in CPF they decided to increase the price :thumbsdow
Unbelieveable,even Fenix lowered their P1D CE from $70 to $56 :)
Just my 02 cents.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
i paid the black Solarforce L2 Xenon type back in January for $15.49
and i replace the xenon drop in with DX sku 4068 total = $28.03
I could have purchased sku#11074 had that one available during that time and the total would be $32.39.
But since the Solarforce L2 has been so popular here in CPF they decided to increase the price :thumbsdow
Unbelieveable,even Fenix lowered their P1D CE from $70 to $56 :)
Just my 02 cents.

Well you can still get the Xenon version for $15.49 on ebay. But yeah, apparently there's a collusion of dealers on ebay who like to keep the prices at a certain level (kind of like the oil industry). If anyone has noticed, Kaidomain had the Solarforce Heads at a really low price and then all of a sudden they raised them. I asked them why that happened and they said it was because the ebay dealers complained to Solarforce and then Solarforce made Kaidomain raise the prices. What a bunch of *******s is what I say about that. :thumbsdow A similar thing happened with Fenix and Jetbeam when dealers like DX or KD tried to sell them low as other dealers would cry foul because they wanted to keep the prices high. Oh well, guess that's business for you.

Anyway, yah as I've said before that I think the Solarforce L2 is a great flashlight! :thumbsup:

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyway, yah as I've said before that I think the Solarforce L2 is a great flashlight! :thumbsup:[/quote]

no doubt.
But The L2 Xenon i paid was 15.49 shipped.
Now you have to add $16 for shipping :ohgeez:

Last edited: