Old Model SF E1L for $98! Rip Off! Being a Canadian Suck!

Centropolis

Enlightened
I live in Toronto and I was at a local outdoors store today and saw an old model E1L (only one mode, 30 lumens, 10 hours) selling for $98 CAN. It is unbelieveable that they sell these things in Canada for so much!

Oh well, just a story.....

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Your'e going to denounce your country and publicly ignite an anti-Canada discussion just for that?... Ooooh Kaaaaay??

IMHO its not all THAT outrageous of a price, I've seen those lights go for ~$85 shipped here in the states. They're just charging you retail price IIRC.

Heres just one example off the top of my head
http://batteryjunction.com/sue1loue1.html

I'm turning into a bit of a SF fanboy so take this with a grain of salt. A well made brand, with a long history of reliability and customer service satisfaction, catering to a high end niche market will cost you. Regardless of where you live (regardless of the product too).

Last edited:

Retinator

Enlightened
Well lets look at a few things:

1) The dual mode (KX1s & KX2s) are very recent releases.
I've seen places with even more ancient stock lying around. Unfortunately the older models don't seem to depreciate very much.

2) Some times places in Toronto are pricier. It all depends on where to shop, finding deals requires extreme patience sometimes. Big cities = Big prices sometimes.

3) You think we have it bad, look at what even M@Gs go for overseas. we have it good, sometimes we just need to look around to realize it.

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
:laughing: I think this belongs to the jeers forum.. I can just imagine the thread.. jeers to Canada! Anyway, is it cheaper to buy across the fence and just ship it you ?

bobofish

Newly Enlightened
That's one dollar less than several places in my town here in the US that still sell the old model. It's very frustrating that they still have it on the shelf and the employees don't have a mandate to tell you about the new models, but that's the way business works. Unless surefire takes the lights back and replaces them with new models at no cost, the store has to do something with the lights. Also as I understand, Surefire frowns upon sales on their lights, so the dealers are stuck trying to sell the old ones at retail.

Also with North American dollar parity, I don't think you're getting a terrible deal at all; you're just paying retail price.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Retail stores are not going to be current on the latest flashlight technology. I mostly see LED's we consider obsolete in stores. Unfortuntely I think there just isn't enough demand for a retail store to keep the latest and greatest on the shelves. At least our dollar is stronger than it has been in years.

Centropolis

Enlightened
Your'e going to denounce your country and publicly ignite an anti-Canada discussion just for that?... Ooooh Kaaaaay??

IMHO its not all THAT outrageous of a price, I've seen those lights go for ~$85 shipped here in the states. They're just charging you retail price IIRC.

Heres just one example off the top of my head
http://batteryjunction.com/sue1loue1.html

I'm turning into a bit of a SF fanboy so take this with a grain of salt. A well made brand, with a long history of reliability and customer service satisfaction, catering to a high end niche market will cost you. Regardless of where you live (regardless of the product too).

Haha nono....I still love Canada but we're just paying more for a lot of things and not just flashlights.....cameras, guitars...etc etc.

Anyways, to get back to the topic of flashlights.....I guess I was more pissed when they have the old model but they don't tell you. If I asked someone to buy a E1L for me......expecting a 2-mode one, and I get an old one with one-mode and 15 lumens less....I would be pissed.

Anyways, I hope the older E1L is still a decent light at 30 lumens. 10 hours of runtime in a SF is a pretty long time.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF dealer are required by dealer agreement to sell (or at least advertise) at MSRP. Some throw in little bonus like free battery to soften the deal a bit, but still MSRP, even outdated models.

For example, le baron, who probably have best price in canada on stuff like knives/flashlights sells e1l (1 mode) for $98.94. If you want to blame anybody, blame SF for their price fixing policy.

generic808

Enlightened
Luckily for you, the CAN dollar is growing stronger by the day. That $98 is much cheaper for you than it was a few years ago. We, on the other hand, are suffering from a major depreciation of the US dollar, coupled with a stagnant economy, and major inflation. Can anyone say, RECESSION? :ironic:

Norm

Retired Administrator
I was going to post a link to an Australia Surefire site but thought better of it, if you want to be shocked by prices I'm sure you'll be able to find it yourself.
Norm

Centropolis

Enlightened
SF dealer are required by dealer agreement to sell (or at least advertise) at MSRP. Some throw in little bonus like free battery to soften the deal a bit, but still MSRP, even outdated models.

For example, le baron, who probably have best price in canada on stuff like knives/flashlights sells e1l (1 mode) for $98.94. If you want to blame anybody, blame SF for their price fixing policy.

I guess if they were selling the new version (2-modes) of the E1L it wouldn't be so bad. I would feel bad for whoever bought that light without knowing that there is a newer imrproved version.

Of course....that is unless someone thinks that the older version of the E1L is better than the new one?? But the good thing is that even though it is older model...it is still a Surefire and the quality is going to be good....just not with the latest technolgies.

Ainsley

Newly Enlightened
Centropolis, did you purchase the E1L at the store? I currently have an older 30lum single mode and want to upgrade to the dual mode pretty soon. I'm in Canada as well and having trouble getting a hold of the new KX1 head, I might just buy the whole light and sell mine.