Pelican 7060 popular with law enforcement officers?

n4zov

Newly Enlightened
It has been a few months since the Pelican 7060 made headlines by being adopted by the Los Angeles PD, and I wonder how popular the new light is with officers? I'm not really interested in how many departments have adopted the light, but how officers who actually carry them feel about the new light.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far, at least three of my coworkers have bought this light. One told me he likes it. I haven't asked the others.

To see three guys carrying anything private purchase other than a Mag is an indication of popularity.

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
I gave it to a cop buddy to use and he said he preferred his ultra-stinger to the 7060 mainly because the 7060 would not make a good impact weapon. This may be the very reason LAPD utilizes it exclusively *cough* rodney king

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sure they must be happy to NOT be lugging around those heavy "D" cell mag lights around.

Sort of funny side note. the other NIGHT there was an altercation in an alley close to my home. There was a "shooting" all of 20 units showed up as well as an air unit. All LAPD.
I did not see a single flashlight. It isn't a really well lit alley. I did not see a single example of the pelican light come out. The only real light that came out was the Helicopter's nightSun. He only stuck around for a moment since it was code 4 by the time he got there.
Rather strange.

(BTW it was not a gun shooting it was a taser shooting and the guy who used the taser went to jail)

I really thought there was an unusual lack of flashlights. weird.
Yaesumofo

OpticalSerenity

Newly Enlightened
Well, I'm a cop, I work nights, and I bought the Pelican 7060. Here are my thoughts:

1. It's a good light. I bought it because I wanted a light on my belt that was a rechargable LiOn with a CREE led. I like the tailcap switch, I do not like the second switch on the body itself. It's pointless.

The battery lasts all shift (12 hours) the way I use the light. In fact, it lasts several shifts normally, but I just usually throw it on the charger when I get home in the morning. Normally the light is done or just about done charging before I lay my head down to sleep. This is good...I've even used the light to direct traffic and process crime scenes for extended periods of time, and it hasn't died on me yet.

2. I don't like the lens. Its not as durable and strong as the lenses on other lights designed for the same purpose. I haven't yet contacted their CS so I don't know how they'll resolve it, but if you care a lot about scratched lenses then just beware of that.

It's a bit large, but that's not a bad thing necessarily. I like being able to prop the light under my arm while I take notes or give someone a citation. Right now my main light has become a Fenix Tk10 and as much as I love it, it's hard to prop up to use that way.

The problem is, most officers just simply cannot afford to spend $140 or so on a flashlight. My old dept issued me a surefire 8NX so that was fine, but the majority of officers out there just can't justify it. Of course I buy it, but then look at the forum I love to read. :)

This light would be a great law enforcement light for $100. It would be more competitive with the Stinger lights, even though I know it's better than them, to most guys out there, words like LiOn or Cree don't mean anything or translate to any value.

Nobody these days likes the D-Cell lights.

The majority of cops out there are carrying Dorcy LED lights, or River Rock, stuff that you see about $20-$40 at Target, Walmart, etc.

The SWAT/SRT guys carry Surefires mostly, but thats mostly because they are around them a lot.

As far as an impact weapon, I have one of those. It's called a 26" ASP Airweight Duratec baton. I'm trained in how to use it, and it's way more effective than any flashlight.

Lastly, cases like Rodney King and other criminals who get into a scuffle with cops: I learned a long time ago in this line of work that if I wasn't there, not to quarterback what happened. There have been plenty videos of me handling combative people that if spun the right way, you'd think I'm the devil looking to just beat up on someone. I don't enjoy having to physically force someone to comply, but its a part of the job. I'm not making any statements as to whether the King case was right or wrong, all I'm saying is you never know unless you were there.

Last edited:

Modern_Major_General

Newly Enlightened
As far as an impact weapon, I have one of those. It's called a 26" ASP Airweight Duratec baton. I'm trained in how to use it, and it's way more effective than any flashlight.

Lastly, cases like Rodney King and other criminals who get into a scuffle with cops: I learned a long time ago in this line of work that if I wasn't there, not to quarterback what happened. There have been plenty videos of me handling combative people that if spun the right way, you'd think I'm the devil looking to just beat up on someone. I don't enjoy having to physically force someone to comply, but its a part of the job. I'm not making any statements as to whether the King case was right or wrong, all I'm saying is you never know unless you were there.

Amen to that

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
King wasn't hit with a Streamlight...it's even pointless to mention him...

The light's performance is o.k., but the huge drawback is its size; it's too big for belt carry, and those fins shredded one of my uniform shirts, so I put it in my pant's sap pocket, and it shredded that, also.

If it can't be carried, it won't be used.

-dan

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know Pelican to be a quality mfg, yet I wonder how the 7060 LED does looking through tinted auto glass?

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
Well, I'm a cop, I work nights, and I bought the Pelican 7060. Here are my thoughts:

Yeah I know what you mean. I should have worded it more correctly than I did, but it is a shame that most videos only show the cop beating on the deceptively "calm" and "collected" and "innocent" suspect who "did nothing wrong"..it almost always turns to a racial battle even if they spit in the cops eye or made threats under their breath, or even sucker punched them. No respect on the streets!