New here and need some advice on a AA LED flashlight please

harrybobble

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,
This is my first post to Candle power. I am a member of quite allot of knife forums and try to get back to responses quickly although I have a girl who demands my time and I cant sit at the computer long as I have a back injury.

My name is Chris and I have recently moved to BC Canada from England. I am addicted to survival anything and any spare money goes to my camping equipment and allot of knives :)

My question is I recently purchased a Coast LED lenser v2. I had not really researched flashlights and I am not really impressed with the output compared to my cop friends rechargable torch of the same size. Is the coast v2 not particularly a good one ?

Allot of people on the blade forums think the FENIX L2D is the way to go. What I am after is a compact torch that I can strap to my belt, one without a flared head and one that takes either AA or AAA. I am not really bothered on how the light casts but like the sound of ones with variable outputs.

I was wondering also if you guys knew of a AA torch with 3 batteries in a triangle set up ? As far as I can tell this would be allot more powerful than my 3 AAA in triangle. One preferably with variable outputs as well ?

If these dont exist I think the FENIX L2D is the best of 2 AA flashlights as I have been told. I was just reading a couple of threads on here and it seams there are a few models of the L2D, is the Q5 the best ? I got advised on the rebel LED but on the main site it has been discontinued due to problems with it.

Any help would be great, thanks guys.

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Re: Advice needed on a AA LED flashlight please

Let me be the first to say:

Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

_

Patriot

Flashaholic
Why thankyou, hello. Is everyone here survival nuts or just flashlight nuts lol

Most of us flashlight nuts folks have some survival nuts in us too. Kinda comes with the territory I guess.

The V2 is ok, but it's not nearly as bright as the L2D.

The L2D is a great choice. It's relatively simple, intuitive to operate and happens to be near the top of the stack as far as single AA output goes.

With regards to the brightness of a 3 x AA light vs. a 3 x AAA light, they're going to be about the same output. Both lights operate at 4.5V because each battery is 1.5Volts each. The AA light will sag less under load, but for practical purposes they're essentially the same. I can't think of any 3 X AA side by sides off hand....but my brain is a bit tired tonight. If I dream of it tonight I'll post it here for you in the morning...lol.

Good luck. :)

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Chris, :welcome:

Personally I find the tint of Rebel's too much on the 'warm' side, I actually find them greenish....

CREE's tend more to the white tint and even if some say that this is not too good for colour rendition I still prefer this kind of tint.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The L2D-CE Q5 is a great 2 AA light. Not too hard to use, good quality, bright, and has a log running low mode(8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8").

Best is very subjective word but the Q5 is the brightest LED for the L2D(Unless there is a special R2 version). The Rebel would have a warmer tint and seems to have better color rendition. Output with the Rebel(presuming Rebel 100) is similar(a bit less) to the Q5.

How will you use the light?(EDC?)

There might also be 1 AA lights that fit for what you are going to use it for.

The one thing I don't like about 3 AAA or 3 AA lights are the lights don't have a regulator(well there might be a few that do have a regulator) so output will keep going down as the battery dies. I don't think I've seen any with variable output.

What does your friend use? We might be able to find a light that will beat his light in output and throw.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started a thread over at CPFMP:
CANADA good deals
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=170044
I try to keep post #2 Canada Flashlight Retail Stores and post #3 Canada Flashlight Online Stores updated.
I do not update limited time specials. You will have to read the thread for those.

Note:
You need to register and login separately to marketplace. Remember to logout separately too!

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
If these dont exist I think the FENIX L2D is the best of 2 AA flashlights as I have been told.

The Fenix L2D-Q5 is a great flashlight. Check out the L2Tv2-Q2 also. It's not as bright as the Q5, but you might like the features and user interface better. I've got a L2D and L1Tv2 and love them both. Works best with NiMH and/or Lithium AA's, avoid the alkalines.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/180263

Last edited:

harrybobble

Newly Enlightened
Hey, thanks for your help guys. Sorry not to have got back sooner. Yes I am getting addicted to flashlights too lol I was eyeing up the FENIX Microfire Warrior III K3500R 35W / 3500 Lumen HID Rechargable I really need one. I think this would be my best choice, any advice on that guys ? I want to join the volenteer search and rescue and want a torch for that too.

I asked my cop friend and the torch he has is the Streamlight Strion. Will the FENIX L2D-CE Q5 be more powerful than that ?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Output wise, yes. Throw wise, no. The L2D-CE Q5 is brighter but it won't throw as far.

The Microfire is actually not made by Fenix, they are their own company.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the L2D and the HID. Then you can beat your buddy with the HID and use the L2D for general purpose stuff :)

sabre7

Enlightened
Hello everyone,
This is my first post to Candle power. I am a member of quite allot of knife forums and try to get back to responses quickly although I have a girl who demands my time and I cant sit at the computer long as I have a back injury.

My name is Chris and I have recently moved to BC Canada from England. I am addicted to survival anything and any spare money goes to my camping equipment and allot of knives :)

My question is I recently purchased a Coast LED lenser v2. I had not really researched flashlights and I am not really impressed with the output compared to my cop friends rechargable torch of the same size. Is the coast v2 not particularly a good one ?

Allot of people on the blade forums think the FENIX L2D is the way to go. What I am after is a compact torch that I can strap to my belt, one without a flared head and one that takes either AA or AAA. I am not really bothered on how the light casts but like the sound of ones with variable outputs.

I was wondering also if you guys knew of a AA torch with 3 batteries in a triangle set up ? As far as I can tell this would be allot more powerful than my 3 AAA in triangle. One preferably with variable outputs as well ?

If these dont exist I think the FENIX L2D is the best of 2 AA flashlights as I have been told. I was just reading a couple of threads on here and it seams there are a few models of the L2D, is the Q5 the best ? I got advised on the rebel LED but on the main site it has been discontinued due to problems with it.

Any help would be great, thanks guys.

Save your money on the AA LED lights- too big & heavy for the output & runtimes-- go with a smaller, more powerful CR123. Compare the L2D to something like an Olight T10/T20 Q5 or Fenix P2D/P3D Q5 instead.

All high power LEDs will need lithium or rechargeable batteries because they eat alkalines fast. Lithium CR123s are cheaper online than quality AA batteries in stores and have a 10 year shelf life too. :thumbsup:

harrybobble

Newly Enlightened
Save your money on the AA LED lights- too big & heavy for the output & runtimes-- go with a smaller, more powerful CR123

Hey, thanks for your advise, I have checked them out and see what you mean. I have got it in my head though that in a survival situation, I could come accross AA way easier than CR123. Dont ask what kinda scenario I am thinking of lol

sabre7

Enlightened
Hey, thanks for your advise, I have checked them out and see what you mean. I have got it in my head though that in a survival situation, I could come accross AA way easier than CR123. Dont ask what kinda scenario I am thinking of lol

Availability of AAs at any store anywhere is a myth. IF IF IF a remote store even carries batteries, they will likely be very old, very expensive, and will burn out very quickly. But true enough they would probably have AAs before CR123s.

If being stuck without batteries is a concern, get a cheapo shake light or crank light for backup. Being prepared is key in survival situations, which includes having a supply of fresh batteries or the firepower to get them free. :naughty:

And now for the words you've been waiting for- go ahead and GET THE L2D Q5 because it is an excellent light!! Even if you get something else now, you'll probably still always want one.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
Why thankyou, hello. Is everyone here survival nuts or just flashlight nuts lol

that goes a bit far, we like to call ourselves illuminated enthusiasts pursuing the pocketable sun:nana:

:welcome:, theres many many solutions to flashlights in the AA range, so before you decide to buy something, consider the newer LED technology and the available lights reviewed by many individuals on the forum before you slap down serious smackers for lights:wave:

harrybobble

Newly Enlightened
that goes a bit far, we like to call ourselves illuminated enthusiasts pursuing the pocketable sun:nana:

I meant no offense by it, I call myself a survival nut. I just dont have the vocabulary to have thought of something like how you described lol