Anyone watch speed racer in thier younger days?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
for the uninitiated http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_racer

I loved that show! the Mach 5 seems like the perfect car for all us gadget conscious people.

The Live action movie is coming too. I personally dont really like Emile Hirsch as speed....and i think the Racer X suit should have been made white like the cartoon.

Crenshaw

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I used to enjoy watching that show. In fact, if I'm flicking thru channels and there's nothing else on I might watch it even now. It's actually aged fairly well as cartoons go. My brother liked the show also. Given how my brother drives, I think Speed Racer had quite a lasting effect on him. :whistle: Just one thing-am I alone in thinking Trixie looked better before they "westernized" her appearance (i.e. she had long hair and more Asian-looking eyes in a few of the episodes)?

jugg2

Enlightened
I used to watch that too! Man that's going way back, so I don't remember much about it. My memory isn't the greatest lol.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wasnt around in the 60s, but i DO have a Laserdisc(remember that one?) of, i think, two episodes, one was the Mammoth Car. I actually saw the New Aventures of Speed Racer version first as a kid, then back tracked to the original version. Is there a DVD version? i want that...btw,im only 19 this year...:lolsign:

Crenshaw

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember watching it, but I don't remember it too well. I can still hear the theme song, though..."go speed racer, go speed racer, go speed racer goooooooo."

Dantor

Enlightened
Oh yeah, I watched it, I think I still have some episodes recorded on tape somewhere.
like:

the car acrobatic team 1&2
monster car
mammoth car
demolition derby (first time I heard the name gizmo, named my cat that, waaaay before gremlins)

hot wheels made some copies of the cars in the 80's or 90's, I have them all still.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
We best be careful or a not so bright movie mogul will.........................too late.....:ohgeez:

it was actually the movie that reminded me.."hey! theres something i havnt watched in years!"

i know...shame on me...

i only have Mammoth car, and the one about the girl who wanted to drive, but the father hated cars or something. He road a horse.The father hired goons to mess with a car to demonstrate how dangerous they were, and ended up messing with his daughter's car and she almost died as a result. I forget the name of that one.

Crenshaw

Burgess

Flashaholic
My baby brother, (49 this month) really loved that show !

Still remember him telling me all about that car. :)

BTW, i'm 54.

I do recall seeing a couple episodes, but that's it.

Hope the new Mach 5 gets good gas mileage !

:nana:
_

Dantor

Enlightened
and the one about the girl who wanted to drive, but the father hated cars or something. He road a horse.The father hired goons to mess with a car to demonstrate how dangerous they were, and ended up messing with his daughter's car and she almost died as a result. I forget the name of that one.

is that the one where they were circus performers, high wire act? and that crazy robot attacking them?
kept saying; "Speed Racer Melange!"

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love them steering wheel buttons:
A - Automatic jacks (used for jumping)
B - Belted tires (climb anything)
C - Cutting blades (cut anything)
D - Dome over cockpit (step 1 of going submersible)
E - Emergency air (snorkel: step 2 of going sub)
F - Flying drone (bird sized remote camera)

I don't know if that's actually correct anymore, but it's the way I memorized it back when I was a kid. Although I never verified it because I was watching it in the days before VCR's became common. So you had to catch which button he pressed on the fly, no rewind.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
is that the one where they were circus performers, high wire act? and that crazy robot attacking them?
kept saying; "Speed Racer Melange!"

Nope it isnt..:eek:

its the one where the daughter is injured for some reason, and the dad has to decide between letting speed take her to the hospital in his car, or refuse to let him just cos he hates cars. Maybe it was called the car hater or something.I just remember that they father guy wore a blue suit...:crazy:

Crenshaw

Dantor

Enlightened
Nope it isnt..:eek:

its the one where the daughter is injured for some reason, and the dad has to decide between letting speed take her to the hospital in his car, or refuse to let him just cos he hates cars. Maybe it was called the car hater or something.I just remember that they father guy wore a blue suit...:crazy:

Crenshaw

"Ohh!"
2im01ly.jpg