Buttered toast vs clickies..

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, everyone knows that if you drop buttered toast on the floor, it usually splats on the ground butterside on the ground. I think its to do with the added weight bias on one side. Ok, so... If you drop say a Fenix TK10 on the ground, is it more likely to hit bezzel first, thus protecting the fragile clickie style switch? I cant help but think that switch will be the death of the light, its the only possible downside i can find.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a test for Mythbusters. :)

This is why I have the lanyard on my L2D to prevent it from falling. :thumbsup:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based only on the actual falling and not on how you let it go, the side that hits first has nothing to do with mass and everything to do with air resistance. Of course, you may be more likely to be holding onto the tailcap, which means that the head will fall first. This factor may combine with the proper length of a fall such that the head is facing downwards on contact.

But a heavy thing falling faster than a lighter thing, ceteris paribus, based only on its weight? No.

Infamous

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like a test for Mythbusters. :)

This is why I have the lanyard on my L2D to prevent it from falling. :thumbsup:

they tested the toast before but it will be interesting how a light falls. maybe ill try this on my carpeted floors ;)

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:crackup:

Techwg seems to be having more trouble holding onto his toast than his lights.

Maybe he should put a lanyard on his toast !

And don't butter your light - you'll drop it every time . :poke:

Last edited:

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
:crackup:

And don't butter your light - you'll drop it every time . :poke:

*puts butter and SureFire down*

Ahem...

Well, I haven't had any experience with the TK10 itself, but it seems that whenever I drop a light, it always smacks the ground bezel first. I have the dings and dents to prove it, too :whistle:

Regards,
Tempest

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, my drops have always landed body flat with ground or bezzle. However theres a dude with a youtube vid of a T1 with a knackered switch from drops of 1m

TMorita

Enlightened
Okay, I am now designing a buttered toast mount for the Fenix TK10.

You will need a piece of buttered toast with a hole in the middle. The clamp will be CNC milled from T7075 aluminum and attach to the toast and Fenix TK10 so the light shines through the hole in the toast. NOTE: You need to mount the toast so the buttered side faces AWAY from the tailcap.

In the event you drop the TK10, the entire contraption will fall so the buttered side of the toast is downward, so the TK10 will land on its bezel, thus protecting the switch.

Does $20 sound like a fair price for this toast clamp?

Toshi

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a smashing deal, for a cost saving device to protect lights :D lmao made my day that!:crackup:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I am now designing a buttered toast mount for the Fenix TK10.

You will need a piece of buttered toast with a hole in the middle. The clamp will be CNC milled from T7075 aluminum and attach to the toast and Fenix TK10 so the light shines through the hole in the toast. NOTE: You need to mount the toast so the buttered side faces AWAY from the tailcap.

In the event you drop the TK10, the entire contraption will fall so the buttered side of the toast is downward, so the TK10 will land on its bezel, thus protecting the switch.

Does $20 sound like a fair price for this toast clamp?

Toshi

so wheres the interest list? :nana:

Ive dropped my T1 a few times, but it always landed SS bezel first
i was hoping the Tk10 would have SS but oh well...

Crenshaw

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not really, its kinda dull, not shiny, although i see where you are coming from..

:ohgeez:

Crenshaw

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont think they T1 ever came in black did it? Maybe thats why the Tk10 was all blacked.. I dont know why they did not make the clip or blanking ring black :duh2:

sb_pete

Newly Enlightened
thus protecting the fragile clickie style switch? I cant help but think that switch will be the death of the light, its the only possible downside i can find.

Umm, exactly how far up are you dropping your lights from? If I drop mine, it is usually while running at full speed (or getting cute with my juggling skills or lack thereof) and onto concrete or asphalt. While I have dinged up a fair amount of alu, cracked my fair share of lenses, and burst a number of incan bulbs, I have never managed to break a clicky switch. Why do you think of the TK10 switch as fragile?

Last edited:

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a switch DOA once, with a nuwai 5 watt years ago, and click switches have always scared me since. but now with the TK10 sticking out, it slightly bothers me.