Found a GREAT use for my Novatac 120E Emergency Beacon

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only had my Novatac 120E for 1 day, and I can already tell this will be the most used light I have by a mile.

The levels are great, but I'm thinking - what in the world will I ever use this emergency strobe for?? Then it donned on me..

I really enjoy biking and in-line skating, especially in the evening hours of the Spring/Summer when it gets cooler. Sometimes I can get to a bike path which is safer after dark, but many times I can only get out in my neighborhood for a quick bike or skate. The thing that always put a damper on it though was worrying about cars not seeing me and getting hit. I was always constantly looking behind me or pulling way over to the side and stopping until a car passed which is a pain.

Not anymore! I took my marvelous little 120E and clipped it to the outside of my pocket, put that sucker on emergency strobe and took off. Even when it was just starting to get dark, you could see me coming a mile away on my bike with that bright beacon! I could tell cars could see me much sooner, because I noticed them slowing down sooner and pulling way over to the side when passing me! Biking this evening was much more enjoyable knowing I could be easily seen, and wasn't at risk of being roadkill to some lazy driver not paying attention. This thing flashes so bright at just the right < 1 second intervals, it's absolutely perfect for this function.

Not only that, the strong springy steel clip keeps the light so firmly in place that I don't have to worry about it falling and losing it or busting it up.

Can you tell I'm excited about my new Novatac?!
:party::party::party:

Last edited:

iTorch

Newly Enlightened
Re: Found a GREAT use for my Novatac 120E Emergency Strobe

Actually thats a damn good idea!

I remember when I was a kid cycling along waving my mini mag behid me whenever a car was behind me in an effort to be seen.

maroast

Newly Enlightened

Great idea! I think I'll have to attach my 120 Tactical to the handlebars on my bike and do this...I dont have the "emergency strobe" function....so I guess I'll just have to use the "disorientating strobe" function!! Oh, they'll see me a mile away, but they wont see much else!!! :devil:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Rich - glad to see you finally got your Novatac! :twothumbs They're great. I think I would suggest a lanyard though - especially if biking or skating. I use a Stainless Steel split ring on the Novatac clip and I hook on to that with a lobster claw that is attached to a fairly long lanyard. The lanyard either gets tied to a belt loop or gets clipped to something with the mini-biner (about 1" or less) on the other end.

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast

if i was a driver i would be totally annoyed by that.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Rich - glad to see you finally got your Novatac! :twothumbs They're great. I think I would suggest a lanyard though - especially if biking or skating. I use a Stainless Steel split ring on the Novatac clip and I hook on to that with a lobster claw that is attached to a fairly long lanyard. The lanyard either gets tied to a belt loop or gets clipped to something with the mini-biner (about 1" or less) on the other end.

Yep, I finally broke down and got one..I love it. That's a good idea about the lanyard. It'd make me sick to watch it go skidding down the street...:green: I have a couple of SureFire lanyards with the spring clips. I just checked and the hook clips right into the hold in the Novatac's clip just fine. So that will be a quick easy way to secure it when I do this.

Thanks for the suggestion!

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast

By which? the disorienting strobe or emergency beacon??

The beacon is not distracting, but they definitely see me. It is pointed at the ground, and the flash lights up the lower part of the bike and the area on the ground beneath the bike.

It is similar to other flashing reflectors you see on bikes, but those are normally red. However, if it does annoy them (or you), they'll live - it's worth the gain in safety to me.

Lumenz

Enlightened

I am guessing you are talking about the disorienting strobe? I don't think the emergency strobe would be annoying at all. It is not like you are going to be stuck staring at the bicyclist for very long. Plus, I would rather annoy a driver for the 5 seconds that they have to see my flashing light than to not be seen at all.

[off topic]Is there a way to get disorienting strobe on the 120P?[/off topic]

Probedude

Enlightened

I've heard that drunk drivers are attracted to lights and tend to steer towards them.

This is just from memory - don't know if there's truth behind it or not.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

when dog walking at night, besides my flashlight, I use a headlamp either full on or flashing (at dusk) for safety. Also, don't underestimate the visibility of the various 5mm based marker lights out there, like GloToob.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've heard that drunk drivers are attracted to lights and tend to steer towards them.

This is just from memory - don't know if there's truth behind it or not.

I've heard of this too, drunk think lights are tail light of car infront of them, so they steer toward in attempt to stay in lane. And they recommand if you have to stop on side of road at night, actually keep your lights off.

Qoose

Enlightened

Do you keep your lights directed at the ground or pointed right at the oncomming driver? I usually do it on the ground, less annoying for everyone.

FlyPenFly

Newly Enlightened

Well the reason that bikers mostly use red lights for blinking is that white lights would ruin a driver's night vision.

Maybe put a red filter on it?

TOOCOOL

Enlightened

Is it legal to strobe or flash a white light from a bike ? Don't sound very smart to me :thinking:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast

front white flashing lights are ok, but illegal pointing backwards.

As for red lights, that's just so you can distinguish between front and back rather than night vision issues. If you've seen some of the modern tail lights, you'd understand that in no way do they preserve night vision :)

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, it seems that some of you are having a hard time visualizing this... ummm - it's just a little pulse flashing directly at the ground every second folks - no blinding strobe in drivers eyes people. Safe for everyone, just a little "hi, I'm here" for those drivers talking on their cell phone while shaving and playing with the radio stations...

Sound a little smarter yet toocool? No? Oh nevermind...:shrug:

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu

I do the same thing with my EternaLight in flash mode. I dangle it from the back of my back pack, pointing downwards. I think drivers actually appreciate the light since they don't have to cope with suddenly swerving away when they notice you at the last second. Safer for everyone. Legally, I think it's okay, since strictly speaking, it's just a 'decoration' you're wearing; it's not attached to the vehicle at all.

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast

sorry my reading comprehension sucks. i didnt read it all and for some reason immediately envisioned it on the back of the bike, pointing straight back lol

Dizos

Newly Enlightened

A colored beam cover (like a Surefire F05 or F06) would be a nice way to tone down the flashing.