My First BIG mod!

Ogg Vorbis

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,

First off… let me just say I'm no photographer, all the pictures were taken on my phone (Sony K770i)

Well I've been lurking these forums for a while now and I've learnt a whole lot (and spent a lot too!) But anyway to the point, I'm really into LEDs and have been impressed with the throw from my P2D RB100 and NDI, but as always I wanted more, so I bought a 3 LED drop in module from DX, but didn't actually have anything to put it in.

When I received it I managed to get it working with 2x 16340's and a bit of wire, I then moved to taking the head of an Ultrafire Alpha C1 I bought a while back, putting the batteries and connecting the –ve of the module and the flashlight body with a spring from the P60 module that came out of the head of the C1 and a spacer I had laying around I was able to have a more portable testing method, but this wasn't really useful in the long term. I figured i wasn't really going to use the Ultrafire as i was too big for EDC and not really bright enough for any other purpose so i aimed to use the body.

Then having looked around I found that the module fitted into a M*g D head nicely, so with not having a spare head or m*g laying around I managed to get a head from Enzo Morocioli in the market place.

So now I was left with the problem of how to attach the head and module to the battery tube. Well this is what I ended up with…

DSC00125.jpg

I simply turned the threads out of the m*g head and measured the size with a bore micrometer, and then turned an aluminium spacer to be about 0.020mm bigger than the bore and push fitted it in there. To fasten the battery tube to the head I then turned some threads to mate with ultrafire body (M27 x 1mm Pitch if anyone wants to know?) I did all the turning before pushing the spacer in there by the way.

DSC00135.jpg

As for the colour, well there was a big mismatch in anodising colours, so I simply bead blasted the assembled body (without the bits inside it…) Below is the module in the head, I had to turn the threads off the head of the module and you can see where the black anodising is left. The copper golden colour was under the shiny reflector surface which I carefully rubbed off with some scotch bright.

DSC00136.jpg

And the finished monster in hand, it is rather heavy at the head though…

DSC00142.jpg

And some size comparison…

DSC00126.jpg

and a quick shot on full (left) against the NDI on 14500 (right)

DSC00140.jpg

so now I'm happy, well for the moment at least. I've got my eye an aspheric m*g from KaiDomain for more throw!

Thanks for looking

Dan

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice Mod Dan!

I just got to play with one of these 3 Cree dropins from KD and I was really surprised! It was rather good quality and had a great throw/hotspot.

Very nice adapter for the head, I wish I had access to machine tools to do the same :(

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice Mod, I really like it when people make parts fit from differing lights to make one great light.

Odd thing, my DX 3 Cree drop in had NO stipple on the reflectors, but yours does?

So what are you going to make next?

Ogg Vorbis

Newly Enlightened
Nice Mod, I really like it when people make parts fit from differing lights to make one great light.

Odd thing, my DX 3 Cree drop in had NO stipple on the reflectors, but yours does?

So what are you going to make next?

Thanks guys, had fun making it. Not too sure about future projects though a bit short on spare $$$, just so many lights i want!

I'd love to make a proper multi-cree light but with so many new things coming out i think i'll see what the guys here on CPF can come up with. A tri P7 might be nice!

Dan

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
a bit short on spare $$$,

I know what that's like. :(
Well you have access to a lathe, and you have shown us here to have the skill to use it, buy some mags, turn some fins, cut them down, whatever people what, and sell them ! :twothumbs
Just an idea, feel free to ignore it.
But if you take up the idea I want 10% of your first years profit for setting going........... :naughty: