The new and LAST USL build update thread!

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
A special word of appreciation for JS (and any others) spending their time and money working this out. You don't see contributions like this much anymore. Let us know if you need help. :thumbsup:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK. The build parts have landed! We have ignition!

I'm trying to find my notes from the last build. I was sure I wrote down the ideal wire lengths to cut, but I can't frigging find any notes, if I did make them. Grrrrrrr.

One minor thing missing, Bill, and that's the set screw for the can for Soundbox's light, but I'll just buy one from the stock room at work, assuming it isn't some wierd size or something. If it is, mail me out a set screw ASAP.

Oh, and . . . the *cough* . . . um . . . the ah, Lumens Factory A2 lamp? It doesn't work at all. I installed it in my A2 and noticed that the lamp was way off center, and it didn't look like the picture on the LF website. Then when I turned on the A2, nada, zip, zero. So either it was defective to begin with or got damaged at some point along the way. I took it out and noticed that the lamp is loose in the fixture. It doesn't look very well made, not like the picture(s) I saw. Was it a proto-type LA? Was it working when you sent it to me?

In any case, it's really too bad because I was looking forward to trying it out.

Ah well. No time for that now. Build, build, build. Starting now.

Bill,

One more question: I presume none of these packs has been charged? I'll cycle and form Soundbox's USL if this is so, and leave the rest of them for you to form.

cnjl3

Enlightened
Regarding your comment about the new A2 lamp - what a bummer! I already have one of FMs strion kit and it works very very well and I was waiting to see a side by side comparison with the stock lamp, FM strion kit and this new LF A2 option. I hope you are right that your A2 failure was only a failed proto-type - only time will tell.

Oh, and . . . the *cough* . . . um . . . the ah, Lumens Factory A2 lamp? It doesn't work at all. I installed it in my A2 and noticed that the lamp was way off center, and it didn't look like the picture on the LF website. Then when I turned on the A2, nada, zip, zero. So either it was defective to begin with or got damaged at some point along the way. I took it out and noticed that the lamp is loose in the fixture. It doesn't look very well made, not like the picture(s) I saw. Was it a proto-type LA? Was it working when you sent it to me?

In any case, it's really too bad because I was looking forward to trying it out.

Ah well. No time for that now. Build, build, build. Starting now.

Bill,

One more question: I presume none of these packs has been charged? I'll cycle and form Soundbox's USL if this is so, and leave the rest of them for you to form.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK. Good start all things considered. Soundbox's USL is half complete. I was going to RTV the pack assy in place, so it could dry overnight, but then I realized that it would be very difficult to get the set screw into the can once the can was permanently recessed into the body! So, I'm going to get 10 set screws tomorrow and continue with this tomorrow night.

I recalled to mind the procedure and tricks that I used and had already picked up some of the .062 dia solder I needed to tin the ends of the teflon covered wire, and I'm almost zeroed in on the exact lengths of things, so I will start the assembly line process once Soundbox's USL is complete and I'm sure I've got things down again.

Soundbox (or Bill),

One issue: I have your Triton, but there isn't a power supply. Do you already have a power supply? I seem to remember ordering you and some other people a Twinfly switcher, which I sent to Bill. Bill, do you have Soundbox's power supply? What's the deal? And what connector should I put on the Triton power cord? Right now its got those mondo-big alligator clips for grabbing lead acid car battery terminals. Let me know what to do.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jim,

I didn't try the LA in one of my lights, I have several, so I'll try a different one and make sure it works. These were actually FM's products, not Lumen Factory.

Soundbox doesn't have a power supply on my order list. If that is not correct, let me know and I'll get one out ASAP. I didn't cut the alligators because I had no idea what power supply he was going to use or if he planned on a car battery.

You are correct on the packs. I will condition them when I get them back, just prior to mailing. I have several lights finished as well, and I am conditioning those packs.

Bill

Minimoog

Enlightened
Thank you for the update - it has cheered me up no end to see my light is on the way to being completed.

JS and Bill, no, I was not down for a power supply for my USL as I was already down for one on the first M6-R build, and I was going to use that one, but I am not sure what happened there as I think the M6 was cancelled and perhaps the supply was not ordered.

If not, then I will need a supply. Please can you tell me what I need and how much, and then I can sort out the funds.

Thank you, Ian

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ian,

I'll take care of it. Do not worry about any extra funds.

Bill,

Ah . . . I see, right, FM LA. That makes sense.

OK, as for the power supply, if you have one of the 12V 13A twinfly switcher with the inner switch to allow you to go to the UK voltage, then, yes, send it on out. But if all you have are the much heavier linear supplies, I'll just order a switcher from MPJA.

Let me know.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ian/Bill,

You know, I'm almost 100 percent sure I ordered one of those power supplies for Soundbox. I'll check my notes to be sure, but I'll bet that they will indicate that I one of the TF's I ordered was for Soundbox. If so, that means Bill has it, as he was the one who was originally going to be sending out the order.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill,

Thanks! But, really, don't go out of your way on the FM LA or anything.

Everyone,

The stock room had the set screws and they are all installed. I tried the charging pigtail connector length on Soundbox's USL, and, sadly, I made it too short. Definitely too short. And then I remembered my benchmark for length on that component. Too late. Ah well, no problem, I am going to remove the charging connection and reattach it, and make a note of the proper lengths for the wires on the charging pigtail connections.

Here is a picture of Soundbox's USL getting it's very first charge (awwww). And, yes, Ian, that's your shiny new Triton charger in the picture--I added the large Molex connector to it, and will do the same to your power supply when it comes, and I'm also throwing in an auto adaptor cable, which uses the same connection setup (so you can power your Trition in your auto). You can also see the nicely machined cans which hold the ceramic GY6.35 sockets, and some switches, and an empty red USL body and a bare USL pack. And of course, note the Fluke multimeter to the right. Only very, very cool people such as myself own Flukes. :devil:

Seriously, though, I'm probably not going to do much more tonight, although I may re-do Soundbox's charging pigtail depending on how much longer I stay online and what my wife is doing. But, no worries, I feel fairly confident that I can turn these around in the weeks time that I promised everyone.

Oh, yeah, so here's the picture:

usl_8.jpg

Last edited:

Minimoog

Enlightened
Thank you JS - talk about above service - REALLY appreciate your help :)

Getting excited now!

Ian

paulr

Flashaholic
Wow, we are in the home stretch! Thanks to Bill and JS for their amazing perseverance with this difficult project.

dmdrewitt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've searched for the thread which had a table in it will everyones name, and what they had ordered, and what they had paid, but I can't seem to locate it. Could somone post a link in this thread please :candle:

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The list used to be here. After asssuming moderator responsbilities on another forum in November, I just didn't have time to maintain the list any more. I don't know if Bill has posted it somewhere else or not.

It's good to see things moving along!

dmdrewitt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The list used to be here. After asssuming moderator responsbilities on another forum in November, I just didn't have time to maintain the list any more. I don't know if Bill has posted it somewhere else or not.

It's good to see things moving along!

Thank you. I was searching under threads started by bwaites - hence not finding this one!!

Bill, would it be possible to post the table in this thread just to keep things in one place as the project comes to a close. I am sure it would be helpful to others to see what they ordered too.

Thanks in advance

David

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
David,

I'm not quite sure how to post that table. I'll see if I can figure out how to do it and then post it.

Codeman is MUCH more computer savvy than I and that list was actually a piece of a much larger spreadsheet that he kept for me. I THINK I can cut some and paste it here, but I'm not sure.

On top of that, there is a bunch of information there that isn't pertinent to the remaining build, it's a bit confusing to say the least. I'm not sure I can weed out that part of it.

I'll give it a try.

Bill

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill and/or Codeman,

I can take responsibility for the new list and post it here. I'm not super computer savvy, but I can do that much.

What I need from you, Bill, is exactly what has changed since the last list Codeman posted. And if some info is irrelevant, let me know that as well and I will not show it.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
And I guess I need the list from Codeman or you Bill, since it doesn't appear in that thread linked to above. Or did I miss it?

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The list that I had didn't have any indication of who had received their USL and who hadn't. Bill handled that info. Plus, it might be out of date since folks may have contacted Bill since then with changes.