SSC P4 in Kl1

thegeek

Enlightened
First off I'm new here, and I hope I have this posted in the right place, and that it isn't a repeat.

I have an older Surefire E1l with the KL1 head that gives that rather unique square beam (2nd generation?). Anyway I recently purchased the 2 stage KX1 so I thought I would play with the KL1 head. I've grown fond of the square beam, so I was wondering if the SSC P4 or something similar would be a direct replacement for whatever Luxeon emitter these came with. For any of you that have had this head apart (or are just generally knowledgable) my questions are:

1) How close to the emitter does the TIR lens sit? Will the P4 sit too high?

2) How many pieces does the head come apart into? What are the odds of twisting wires while getting it apart?

3) Would the driving circuit currently in the KL1 give me any sort of gains with the P4 emitter? Will it be under driven?

Most of the KL1 mod threads I found swapped the TIR lens for a reflector and lens setup, but if I missed one please point me in the right direction!

Thanks for the help!

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try doing a serch for "KL1 mods"...yull come up with some interesting threads. In summary the SSC P4 will feel right at home in the KL1, yu'll loose the square beam though and be rewarded with an almost perfect beam. Be careful while unscrewing the head, its made of 3 parts and almost everione that has done this mod , has screwed up the board on some way...I know i did.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've done a bunch of these mods in the past. No shim needed behind the Seoul, IMHO. If you do shim it, it will give you a similar beam to the lux. I liked the beam better without the shim. What I REALLY prefer, however, is a reflectored beam. I have used Khatod 20 MM smooth and textured, and McR20s; all with good results. For the cheapest, simplest, best results, use the optic or Khatod 20mm smooth reflector. For best overall, McR20s.

schiesz

cryhavok

Enlightened
Interesting...when I did not shim the LED, I got a squarish beam. When I did use the shim, I got a round beam that also had increased lux

thegeek

Enlightened
Thanks for the help! Looks like some nice results too! Neither of you made any changes to the circuit then?

cryhavok, how thick was the spacer you used?

Again thanks for the info. Can't wait to give it a try!

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've done a bunch of these mods in the past. No shim needed behind the Seoul, IMHO. If you do shim it, it will give you a similar beam to the lux. I liked the beam better without the shim. What I REALLY prefer, however, is a reflectored beam. I have used Khatod 20 MM smooth and textured, and McR20s; all with good results. For the cheapest, simplest, best results, use the optic or Khatod 20mm smooth reflector. For best overall, McR20s.

schiesz
+1 Simply blows the stocker away IMO. :thumbsup: