Decent headlamp for under $30?

filedog

Newly Enlightened
I've got an old Rayovac 4AA incandescent headlight (heavy!), that I'd like to replace. I probably won't use it a whole lot, it's going in my BOB, for emergency use. I know the zebralights are really well regarded, but I'm hoping to spend less. I'd like a 2AA form factor (but feel free to suggest others) for the weight, runtime, and compatibility with my L1D. Mostly looking for flood, 2 modes would be nice.

I read Szemhazai's post about the Rayovac / River Rock / Headstream / Cabela's - K2 headlamp, that sounds like a pretty good choice. Anyone know where I can pick one up locally, at a good price? I searched for those lights a bit, but did not see them anywhere but cabela's, and they wanted $40 plus shipping (within striking distance of the zebra)

acourvil

Enlightened
I like the Black Diamond Xenix IQ a lot. It retails for more than $40, but it also seems to show up on specials for $20-$25 fairly often. If you swap the Lux emitter with a Seuol, it puts out a lot of light for a 2AA light.

filedog

Newly Enlightened
That was fast! I've never swapped an emitter, I did open up my ultrafire C3 and have a look. I can solder (big stuff anyway), but replacing leds is a bit beyond me so far, especially if it was one that I needed to work after my soldering
: )

If anybody knows where they can be had for under $30, that would be great!

whippoorwill

Enlightened
The Princeton Tec Eos is a great headlamp and can be had for under $30 on Ebay. It has great throw, is regulated (4 hours until 50 %), well made, light weight and dependable. Check it out on the PT website.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
The K2 is sold at Target for $25 - I just saw one in a local store last week.

The PT EOS mentioned is an excellent choice.

One of my favorites is the ROV from WalMart for $18-19.

And it goes without saying again, get the ZebraLight.

filedog

Newly Enlightened
Great suggestions...thanks! I'm not seeing th Ray O Vac on walmart's site.......what's the model
or name on that one? I will go check these out.

filedog

Newly Enlightened
Ok,
think I found it...the Sportsman Xtreme 1W LED, gotta compare that to the K2. Thanks for setting me on the right track guys : )

filedog

Newly Enlightened
The walmart I went to was out of the ROV. Target had 1 K2 riverrock, but the light is described as being mostly throw, don't think I want that. I like the design though, and the hi lo an med levels.

sandbasser

Newly Enlightened
Filedog -

Have you considered the RayOVac 1AA. Sold at WalMart for about 18.83. It's a great little light - has a really nice slide-up/down diffuser that makes it great for reading in bed / other close-up work - as a matter-of-fact it's now my only source of illumination for late-night reading in bed.

The only downside I've found is that runtime is only a little over an hour (on EneLoop rechargable NiMh batteries). There is a nice review plus extensive discussion threads here on CPF - search on rayovac and scroll down.

Good luck on your quest - keep us posted.

Last edited:

whippoorwill

Enlightened
I have both the EOS and the ROV. And, while I consider the ROV to be a great headlamp, it is no contest when it comes to build quality and dependability. The EOS is the one that I gave to wife and kids for camping. If you do not need the 5mm colored LEDS and the diffuser, go with the EOS. I do not think you will ever regret it. It is a great headlamp.

I use the EOS as my primary headlamp and the ROV as its backup. But if I had to have just one it would be the EOS.

Last edited:

filedog

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I'm sure the EOS is a good light. I'm trying to stick with AA s however, looking at the RR K2 again...

hopkins

Enlightened
Hi filedog - and hang onto that old Rayovac 4AA as a backup.
Have clever idea to turn it into a 2AA LED headlamp if you like.
first put a Niteize LED upgrade bulb into it ( $7 at Walmart)
Then with just 2AA bateries inside connect wires across the empty
battery slots. Much less weight now and should run for 20hrs.
cheers
hopkins

filedog

Newly Enlightened
Hopkins....cool! Could you give me a little more detail about how to hook up the wires across the empty battery slots? 4 AAs would be too much for the Niteize LED, right?

I went to REI today, they had a couple black diamond lights that look good, Cosmo and Moxie, although they use 1/2 watt LEDs and run on 3AAAs. AAAs are going to weigh less, but have less run time, right? I may need to bite the bullet and got AAA, not that much of a problem..
I like the EOS for the 1 watt LED, 3 levels, and good build quality, leaning away from the K2 now, due to reviews saying the beam is mostly throw.

Brightguy has the EOS for $27.50, I'm tempted. Only shipping method is UPS....UGGG. 1st class is way cheaper, probably quicker too. Priority is cheaper and way quicker!

hopkins

Enlightened
Sure... First the Niteize PR LED replacement bulb will operate on 2 batteries
draining about 100mA ( about 20 hours runtime) But will also handle up to
6 batteries. And be somewhat brighter, but if weight is an issue 2 cells is just fine. Look at this link: Hope your headlamp uses this shape of bulb?

http://www.niteize.com/productdetail.php?category_id=28&product_id=127
And...here is a link for some pictures I took to show wires across the battery slots. This is the simple way unless you can see how to use just one wire (possible).
but you could just run 4AA's inside but this will save weight.
Just solder some wire across any 2 empty slots to complete the circuit.
If you have some real stiff wire that will press on the contacts (like a battery)
you may not need to solder it.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff319/12eric/4AAholderto2AA001.jpg
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff319/12eric/4AAholderto2AA002.jpg

post a modification pic if you can. Don't remember what your old HL looks
like.

lumenal

Enlightened
A headlamp that I use every night, which doesn't seem to get a lot of mention around here, is the Princeton Tec Quad.

Its all flood, which is perfect for medium to close range tasks. No bouncing your head around.

Three regulated output levels, plus emergency strobe, plus 2 low battery indicators.

Out of my half dozen headlamps, the Quad is the one I reach for most.

Depending where you look, it can be had for around $30...

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the last LA Flashapalooza, Jetskimark had a headlamp from Costco, that he said cost only $19.99, and it was pretty cool. I think it was both focusable and dimable, and it was quite bright. I think it was a Lenser, but I'm not sure.

filedog

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies everyone! I can get the EOS for $35 shipped from fleabay......I think that's what I'm gonna do.