Got an old KL1 red LED head I'd like to upgrade.. looking for help

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an old KL1 red Surefire LED head I would like to upgrade with a red Cree here: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1776

Does anybody have any advice on how to get the head apart? I've been doing some reading and haven't come up with much.

Also, I'm probably planning on using the original driver and optics if possible, but I was wondering if anybody has tried using this reflector in a KL head mod: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5960

It might be too small or incompatible and I probably don't want to do it anyways, but just curious.

Last edited:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I were you I would use one of the modder's services on this forum. I say that mainly because KL1's especially later versions are notoriously hard to open without damaging the finish. Also they will know which part's fit what. If you have some experience then have at it. I have yet to "crack open" a KL1 sucessfully and have tried 4 or 5 and ruined the finish on a couple trying. Others seem to do it without issue. Unless you specifically like optics I recommend a reflector mod, it works well for this head. You can try Milkyspit, CM, DatiLed, grnamin opens heads too. There are others too, these are the guys that come to mind now. All are first rate and will do good work. Enjoy!

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys! I want to be a do it myselfer on this one. I have a little knowledge, a soldering iron, some solder. Just don't know where to start out with taking the head apart.

It is the generation 1 finned version. I'm almost wondering if I should just leave it stock, since red Gen 1's are kinda rare, but it's appealing to me because it was originally red and I would like to be able to use the original driver. I might stay with the optics, but if I damage them taking it apart, it won't be a big deal to me if I can use a reflector instead. With the optics a beam diffuser seems to be important and I'd probably like to get away from that.

I saw a post yesterday where somebody claimed it was "easy", so that made me wonder why I could not do it myself. I have been wondering if there is a special tool I need to unscrew it from the back, or if I will have to heat it up in a boiling kettle or something and somehow get the optic out.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is my guide to gen 1 KL1 disassembly. (link now dead) Post back if you have more questions. I have heard of some people filing down stars to fit instead of just changing the LED. Centering could be a problem.

edit: PM me for the KL1 disassembly photo guide.

Last edited:

lumafist

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ampdude,
I`ve stated the ease of this mod...:thumbsup:

I use a heatgun and just heat the top (bezel) to get the "loktite" or such to dry up and harden up and then start twisting and turning the bezel to get it going....
I did a swap on the last when and I`ve even done a rebuild wich is real fun...:cool:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the help. I still can't decide for sure whether or not to do this. I do not have a heat gun, but I'm sure I could pick one up for cheap. Mine is actually a Gen 2 with the slight crenulation. The above pictures are very informative.

lumafist

Flashlight Enthusiast
some boil it...
I have not tried that...

There is not to many things that can go wrong..
the optics are replacable aswell....:naughty:

DO IT.....:cool:

ROK

Enlightened
Thanks for the help. I still can't decide for sure whether or not to do this. I do not have a heat gun, but I'm sure I could pick one up for cheap. Mine is actually a Gen 2 with the slight crenulation. The above pictures are very informative.

You can use a hair drier instead of heat gun.
But in my experience, you can easily open the bezel using a strap wrench without heating.

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast

I recall Icarus did this mod as well with new driver & SSC P4 emitter :cool: