Anyone running a Phillips 5761 in a FM 2" deep reflector? (now using ThrowMaster)

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone running a Phillips 5761 in a FM 2" deep reflector? (now using ThrowMaster)

Well the title says it. I've just gotten my 5761s but they are slightly too big for the opening in the FM deep 2" reflector and before I go and grind it larger I'd like to hear if anyone has done it and how they like it.

I've had really good success with WA bulbs but not so much with ROP bulbs in this reflector but have no idea about the Phillips. If you guys have any other suggestions for reflectors that give good throw let me know.

The light is a AW PWM switched C cell Maglite running 2x AW Li-ion C cells.

TIA,
-LT

Last edited:

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anyone running a Phillips 5761 in a FM 2" deep reflector?

I do not have a similar set up put what do you mean you didn't have much success with rop bulbs?

beam quality was poor? :confused:

I think that FM's reflectors are very high quality and will work just fine with 5761, anyway someone will sure give a more accurate suggestion.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

I do not have a similar set up put what do you mean you didn't have much success with rop bulbs?

beam quality was poor? :confused:

I think that FM's reflectors are very high quality and will work just fine with 5761, anyway someone will sure give a more accurate suggestion.

Yes the beam quality with the ROP bulbs was disappointing. For whatever reason the bi-pin Welch Allyn bulbs are a much better match for the FM 2" deep reflector, at least in my experience. ROPs work fine in regular reflectors but I haven't been as impressed with them in other FM versions.

Because the 5761 is bigger I'm afraid that the filament placement in the reflector will not be correct, the wrong geometry. For example it will be too close to the walls of the reflector for optimum focusing.

-LT

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

I'm not willing to bore out any of my 2" deep reflectors, but seeing the variety of beam patterns with the various WA bulbs, I doubt the 5761 would look good...since its height, filament/glass envelope shape would not likely be in the focal point.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think I have missed something here...:ohgeez:

isn't the 5761 a G4 bulb?

how higher is the filament in this bulb compared to a WA one? :confused:

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast

comparison between a WA1111 on the left and a Philips 5761 on the right;

The 5761 actually gives a nicer roundish beam than the 1111 in a regular fivemega Maglite reflector.

Last edited:

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

The 5761 actually gives a nicer roundish beam than the 1111 in a regular fivemega Maglite reflector.

In a regular reflector I get the bat wing looking pattern with a WA bulb that's why I like the 2" deep reflector so much. With the WA bulbs it's gone, the pattern is nice and round with a really tight hotspot.

Looks like the 5761 filament is shorter and narrower. I wish I knew what that means when it interacts with the deep reflector.

-LT

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast

In a regular reflector I get the bat wing looking pattern with a WA bulb that's why I like the 2" deep reflector so much. With the WA bulbs it's gone, the pattern is nice and round with a really tight hotspot.

Looks like the 5761 filament is shorter and narrower. I wish I knew what that means when it interacts with the deep reflector.

-LT

So, can you get a 2" fivemega reflector for the regular C and D Maglite? Would love to try one in the C body. I agree, the beam from the WA1111 looks like a butterfly, a hot spot with wings and there is no way I can get rid of it.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

So, can you get a 2" fivemega reflector for the regular C and D Maglite? Would love to try one in the C body. I agree, the beam from the WA1111 looks like a butterfly, a hot spot with wings and there is no way I can get rid of it.

The 2" deep reflector gets rid of the butterfly in nearly all the WA bulbs I've tried. Since it is just a replacement bezel and reflector it will work with a C or D Mag. Only thing is that the cam isn't removable so I cut mine of to work with some of my lights.

-LT

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well I finally built the 5761 but used a FM Throwmaster instead of the 2" deep. I didn't want to sacrifice the deep reflector since they are harder to come by. The Phillips bulb goes higher in the reflector than my WA in the deep one so I probably would have had to really hack up the 2" deep reflector to get it to work.

All seems to work well. Anyone got an idea of what kind of run time I should expect with 2xC li-ions?

-LT

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast

IMHO, the 5671 is a little too rough on the AW C Cells even with the V2 Mag C Incan Driver. Just ask member beetleguise, he managed to destroy a cell by hitting the trip so many times, it only lasted approx. 40 cycles.

Last edited:

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

IMHO, the 5671 is a little too rough on the AW C Cells even with the V2 Mag C Incan Driver. Just ask member beetleguise, he managed to destroy a cell by hitting the trip so many times, it only lasted approx. 40 cycles.

Hey there Aircraft800,

Actually the reason I put this together was this thread. I figured I'd give it a try but I'll definitely keep an eye on things. Do you have the link for beetleguise's problems? Maybe I can see if his usage differs from the way I intend to use it.

For now I leave the light on low for starts then ramp it up to whatever I need at the time. I wonder if it was full power on that killed his cells. Fortunately if things don't work out I still have my WA1111 setup to fall back on.

Thanks for the heads up.
-LT

edit: Thanks for the link mudman CJ, good reading.

Last edited:

scottaw

Enlightened

I have a 5761 in a standard mag head with Lithio's #3 reflector, the beam looks a bit like a Q in short distances, but outside it's not really noticeable at all, TON of light in a nice usable package, 2D, 6 eneloops, AW D driver, about 22 mins on high.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anyone running a Phillips 5761 in a FM 2" deep reflector? (now using ThrowMaster)

With the ThrowMaster I don't have a "Q" but because of the larger bulb opening it does take a while to get it centered just right. Also had to fiddle with washers on the AW switch to raise the height up a bit.

-LT

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
Re: Anyone running a Phillips 5761 in a FM 2" deep reflector? (now using ThrowMaster)

It sounds like maybe Beetleguise was repeatedly discharging the cells to the point that one of the over discharge protection circuits kicked in. The over discharge protection is not intended to be used this way. It is a last ditch measure to prevent the cell from being ruined in a single discharge, but over time it will still ruin the cell because the cell is discharged to somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.5V before the circuit activates. It is best not to discharge Li-ion cells below 3.0V under load on a regular basis.

Edit: The situation is actually probably made worse by the 3 stage PWM driver, because at lower current draws, the cells will discharge more fully before hitting 2.5V under load. A good measure of how fully the cell is discharged is how far the voltage bounces back. The cell voltage should return to 3.3V or higher. Any lower than that and damage is being done. This particular info was posted by Silverfox. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This is quoted from batteryuniversity:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one." I also found a story by someone that had stored a cell for a few months discharged to about 2.5V and it was ruined. As for my experience, [/FONT]I did discharge one of my C cells to 2.5V once and did not notice any ill effects, but I put a charge back into it in a hurry after learning more about over discharge from Silverfox and reading other member experiences. I check my cells often and recharge them when they show open circuit voltages approaching 3.6V, at which point they are almost empty. Remember, this is open circuit and not under load as with the above voltage values. If you take care of your cells like this you will not have the same problem.

If you keep discharging your cells until they are empty because you need more runtime than 25 minutes or so, then the 5761 on 2 C cells is not for you. Either switch to using larger capacity cells (or a 2s2p arrangement) or use a bulb that draws less current.

Edit: I didn't mean to come off like a jerk here... Truth be told, running the 5761 on 2 Li-ion C cells is a build that pushes to the limits of flashlight technology, and it is hard on the batteries and sometimes the bulbs. I find it likely that few people have used their AW C cells through 40 cycles with the 5761, so maybe the cells don't fair that well even if you don't run them until the protection circuit kicks in. I am glad to hear of another member's experiences, because real world data is much more useful than prattling. :whistle:

Last edited:

beetleguise

Enlightened

Say it once, say it twice, three time's the charm........
My c cells were murdered by the high discharge. I kept tripping the over discharge protection which should have been 5 amps- even with the incan smartdriver. And forget using the flash mode. I would just disconnect the tailcap and the pcb would usually reset. A couple of times I had to charge a cell in my charger and jump start my bad cell to reset it. I finally killed the cell and removing the pcb altogether couldn't save it, the cell itself was ruined.
Right now I am running a 5761 every night at work, but I am using kaidomains protected D cells with an incan smartdriver. This setups works great, but you can't go full bright right off the charger because the voltage doesn't sag with those monster D cells, and your bulb will flash. They are supposedly 5000 mah, but I doubt it. I think they are more like 7500! They last a long time! The only other problem with this setup is the strobe. It will flash your bulb.
As far as the artifacts, there are none with my MOP fivemega camless reflector. This light rocks!
I don't recommend running a 5761 with AW's C cells, and neither does AW. I love AW's products, but this is a bad combination.
Good luck,
Beetleguise

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't recommend running a 5761 with AW's C cells, and neither does AW. I love AW's products, but this is a bad combination.
Good luck,
Beetleguise

I just received an email from AW about this and in it he says that this setup will put some stress on the cells but not enough to kill them though it probably shortens the life of the cell. He also mentions that starting from low with limited use of high will solve the problem.

beetleguise how long ago were the cells you killed purchased?

-LT