Surefire 6PD to L?

mackey

Newly Enlightened
i'm a noob so forgive the noob questions.

..i've been eying "defender" type flashlights since the places i go to at times aren't the most...wholesome (think nightclubs, bars in the wrong side of city).

now i haven't bought the 6PD yet but if i were to, would i be able to upgrade it to an LED w/o much hassle? what are the alternatives to a malkoff LED? they're currentlyl sold out even if wanted to go that route so are there any other cheaper alternatives that are just as or almost as decent? are there any issues with going with an LED upgrade?

also looking at the E2D(L) but since it's more pricey, i'm not quite as willing to shell out the $

FWIW, i usually wear cargo pant/shorts and/or carry a messenger bag

thx

Last edited:

thegeek

Enlightened
The drop-in module sticky at the top of the page should be a big help. Most of the modules listed there should fit just fine into the 6P.

thegeek

Enlightened
P60 is what SureFire calls the standard bulb assembly for the 6P, G2, C2, etc. If a light is a P60 host it is compatible with the P60 "style" or sized drop-in modules.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The surefire LED dropin. This part is also made in this size by several other makers.
The Malkoff unit is about the best one out there.
Just buy one. drop it into your 6P and you have a fine bright led based 6P.
Yaesumofo

mackey

Newly Enlightened
malkoff is out of stock. what are my "better" options?

P60 is what SureFire calls the standard bulb assembly for the 6P, G2, C2, etc. If a light is a P60 host it is compatible with the P60 "style" or sized drop-in modules.
thanks

the list is a bit too comprehensive on the sticky. :rolleyes: i'm also not sure what i'm exactly looking at...again, noob here...:sigh:

Last edited:

thegeek

Enlightened
malkoff is out of stock. what are my "better" options?

thanks

the list is a bit too comprehensive on the sticky. :rolleyes: i'm also not sure what i'm exactly looking at...again, noob here...:sigh:

I would start by deciding if you want just one mode (one level of output) or if you would like more. Once you have that settled check out the details of each of the drop-ins and see if the voltage range covers what you prefer to use, i.e. if you prefer to use a single 17670 battery at 3.6 Volts, 2 RCR123A at 7.2 Volts, or 2 primaries at 6 Volts. Once you have it narrowed down to a few modules that match your voltage needs and have the modes you would like, check out the beam shots and see which one you prefer.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Questions:

Do you want a single level of light or multiple levels?

If single level: do you want maximum output at the expense of runtime, maximum runtime at the expense of output, or a balance between the two?

If multiple level: How many levels, and in what order? How would you like to switch between them?

Mike 208

Enlightened
I changed my 6PD to LED just by replacing the P60 lamp assembly with the Surefire P60L LED module (no modifications are required). Also (IIRC), Surefire is releasing the model 6PDL later this year, which is a 6PD with the LED module already installed.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
I changed my 6PD to LED just by replacing the P60 lamp assembly with the Surefire P60L LED module (no modifications are required). Also (IIRC), Surefire is releasing the model 6PDL later this year, which is a 6PD with the LED module already installed.

The 6PDL's have been available for some time. A bunch just got sold in the marketplace (ahem...). :)

But yeah, it's just the 6PD with the P60L LED drop in and newer etching on the side that says "Surefire 6P LED Defender"

A very good alternative to the Malkoff is the Bug Out Gear Q5 Super Premium LED drop-in.

Last edited:

mackey

Newly Enlightened
thanks guys for clarifying some things up

Questions:

Do you want a single level of light or multiple levels?

If single level: do you want maximum output at the expense of runtime, maximum runtime at the expense of output, or a balance between the two?

If multiple level: How many levels, and in what order? How would you like to switch between them?
didn't even consider these options

would like 2 modes, 1 at max, 1 at low. i'm not sure how to guage how bright i want it but i'd like to be able to see something across a 2 lane street? that make sense? low setting enough to see around the innards of a car or motorycle (i wrench as a hobby). that might also give an indication i want to save a bit on replacing batteries as i hear they're a bit pricey. at least compared to "normal" batteries you can buy bulk at costco.

so are there rechargable batteries for these lights or are they 1x use only? do they need their own special charger?

also LEDAddict's post in another thread cleared some things up for me as well:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2205623&postcount=2

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The easiest solution is to stay out of San Pablo and Richmond!!! LOL

Welcome to CPF!

If your looking for a crenulated bezel to "Flash, Bash, and Dash," I'd get a E2d or E2DL. The 6P body is to big around to use your closed fist as a weapon when holding it. The flared tailcap makes it easier to hold also.

Your best self preservation weapon is to run faster than your tormenters. Do lots of wind sprints my friend, wind sprints...

Dobbler

Enlightened
If I buy a 6P and drop in a Malkoff M60, how can I get two levels of output? Is there a switch available?

Last edited:

Brigadier

Enlightened
If I buy a 6P and drop in a Malkoff M60, how can I get two levels of output? Is there a switch available?

Not a Malkoff. Some Dereelight and Wolf Eyes drop ins have multiple levels, strobe, ....

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Mackey, and welcome to CPF. Three of my favorite drop-in's that I use in my 6PD's are...

Cree Q5 Super Premium drop-in module from Bug Out Gear USA. It is a 1 level, 230 lumen drop-in that....Well, just drops in and replaces the existing incan lamp. It can run with either 2 x cr123a primary batteries, or 2 x rcr123a rechargeable lithium ion batteries. I use the AW protected rcr123a rechargeable batteries. Here is the charger for those.

And for a great two level drop-in...

Wolf Eyes D26 Digital 3.7-6 Cree Q5 LED *2-Mode (High & Low). A two level, 260 lumen drop-in. I use the same batteries in this as the one above.

If you want a high output Incandescent drop-in.....

EO-9 Extreme High Output 9V, 380 Lumens Extreme High Output lamp. This is made by Lumens Factory, and is way bright. Only about a 35 minute runtime on two of the above rechargables. But hey...on rechargeables...who cares. Just carry an extra set.

I like all of these drop-in's, but lean toward the Wolf Eyes, because I like the two level functionality. If you check out the "My Light Collection" link in my signature, you can see some outdoor beam shot comparisons. Enjoy the hobby...and watch the wallet.

mackey

Newly Enlightened
Enjoy the hobby...and watch the wallet.
awesome, thanks bondr :thumbsup: does it need a new switch or can you use the stocker?

as for the wallet, i figure it's still cheaper than racing motorcycles so i'm coming out ahead in this one for once :D

Last edited:

SimpleIsGood229

Newly Enlightened
:welcome: Mackey!

A good option to consider is to buy the 6P Defender, then wait 'til SureFire releases the P61L LED module that puts out 200 lumens. Buy it and drop it into the 6P Defender.

That's what I plan on doing for my 6P Defender (which already has the 80 lumen P60L installed).

Let us know what you get!

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
YW mackey...The switch on the 6PD is a clickie, and works fine with any of the drop-in's....whether they be single or multiple level.

awesome, thanks bondr :thumbsup: does it need a new switch or can you use the stocker?

as for the wallet, i figure it's still cheaper than racing motorcycles so i'm coming out ahead in this one for once :D

Last edited: