Malkoff Universal Drop-in for C or D Mags

donn_

Flashaholic
Another great product from Malkoff Devices!

Gene released the Universal (2x Cree Q5 emitters, works in C or D Mags, 2.4-8 volts, 200 to nearly 600 lumens) early this week, and I got mine today. I popped it into a 3C Mag running 2xA123 cells at just under 7 volts.

The beam from the 2x Q5 emitters behind their optics is nothing short of amazing. I was initially concerned because the optics/emitters are offset, rather than centered (to leave room for the converter board), but the alignment and focus is perfect. Gene's description says the beam isn't perfect for white wall hunting, but I don't see a flaw in it.

:goodjob: Gene! :twothumbs

Bring on sundown!

Last edited:

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
Re: Malkoff Universal Drop-in

I just went to Gene's site to check it out. It seems that he is using an optic for this drop in. Is it a flood or a thrower light? How do you achieve the 600 lumen capability of the light?

donn_

Flashaholic

It's a thrower, with a very tightly focused hot spot. The optic is the same one he uses in his Surefire drop-ins, one for each emitter.

His website shows 580 lumens at 7.2 volts, and the circuitry will take up to 8 volts.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast

I guess using 2 standard Li-Ion cells is out of the question. :(

donn_

Flashaholic

I'm trying to figure that out on the Batteries Forum.

Will 2 freshly charged Li-Ions deliver more than 8 volts to the drop-in, or will they lose some voltage in the switch, tail, etc..?

kavvika

Enlightened

I don't know if I can get past the dual-LED setup (symmetrical OCD maybe?)
Does the module fit down into the tube or stay in the head of the Maglite?
Installed pictures would be great.
Would three of those optics even fit in a Maglite head?

Last edited:

donn_

Flashaholic

I had the same problem with the two LED setup, especially since they're off-center, but I'm pretty familiar with Gene's stuff, and so far, everything has worked extremely well. This one is no exception.

Here's some pics:

001-60.jpg

003-37.jpg

Most of the sink sits in the head, as you can see by the second pic. That's why it works in both C and D mags.

As I was putting it back together, after the pics, I added something:

004-38.jpg

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm trying to figure that out on the Batteries Forum.

Will 2 freshly charged Li-Ions deliver more than 8 volts to the drop-in, or will they lose some voltage in the switch, tail, etc..?
It will be really close considering the losses. If the tailcap mod isn't done it probably will be under 8V under load, but I'm not 100% sure.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast

that circuit should be in the seoul p4 for mag ..3d at 1.3 amps 4d at 1.4 = sweet

Meltdown

Enlightened
real honest to goodness 600 output lumens? OMG!!! I have to have this immediately

Meltdown

Enlightened
anything over 500 output lumens would make me deliriously happy

:)

especially considering I have the rechargeable cells option and easy to find batteries.

hey, anyone remember the old footage of the SAS running around with HK MP5's with Maglights mounted to the top instead of optics? that was super bleeding edge tactical lighting for the day.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yep. Pretty tight but they do fit.

Have you actually accomplished fitting 3 into a Mag head? My guess is that it would require quite a bit of grinding down of the optic holder. Do you have any pictures?

tn6110

Newly Enlightened
I bought one of the Universal drop in's too. Right now I am running it in a Pewter 3D mag on Panasonic Alkaline plus cells and it is extremely bright. It is brighter than either my 6P with Malkoff drop in or my Fenix T1. And, it is also brighter than my 3D with Malkoff SSC P4 drop in. I like the fact that I can swap it between D and C and will probably put it into a 2D and run off of 6 AA Rayovac Hybrids.