SF E1B Optics Q...

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Just received my E1B couple days ago. I am surprised and impressed with this little pocket rocket. I want to know a bit about TIR optics. I assume the E1B doesn't have a reflector? Does anyone have a pic of the E1B TIR or equivalent? I'd like to read up a bit on the optics used by SF. Any info appreciated.

Steve

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
There should be a picture of a bare TIR optic in the SF catalog. Total internal reflection is the same property of light that fiber optics use. Generally, flashlights that use TIR systems have very little spillbeam and an intense spot, as you have probably noticed with your E1B. That optic is also in the Outdoorsman lights, the L1, and I believe the new E2DL. Compared to other TIR systems, the one SureFire is using has a surprisingly useful amount of light in the corona of the beam. Anything else you want to know?

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Generally, flashlights that use TIR systems have very little spillbeam and an intense spot, as you have probably noticed with your E1B.

Actually, what I've found is the spill to be almost equivalent to my E2E/D. There is plenty of spill available. I have read that the tir doesn't offer much spill, but there's plenty there, even to my naked eye.

Steve

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everytime I compare my E1B to another light I can't believe how well the beam looks outside when Surefire only claim it's 80 lumens. I love my Nitecore DI, but At 50 yards the E1B gives a brighter beam on target. TIR does rock in my opinion!

Where the heck is the new U2.....................

Bill

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies guys. It is astonishing how a 1 cell light can throw so far. Its my first LED light, I'll only buy TIR based lights from now on.

I'd like to see a comparison of the E1B and E2DL, just to see how bright the extra 40 lumens of the ED2L is compared to the E1B.

Steve

Yapo

Enlightened
i have still yet to get a light with optics...surefires too expensive for me although their lights do look nice. i dont see why there arent more other brands using optics yet when theres so many different lenses available now. But i think having a diffuser like the surefire's F04 is a must for indoor use.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
I'll only buy TIR based lights from now on.

Good luck. There are less than 20 TIR-based lights on the market right now: half a dozen Surefire lights, a handful of Gerber lights, and LED Lenser's offerings. Most of these have various problems ranging from extreme cost to construction quality issues.

The L1 is probably the best value for money among current TIR lights. IOW, it's all down hill from here.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of these have various problems ranging from extreme cost to construction quality issues.

Beg to differ...I've got the following TIR lights from SureFire: E1B, L1 Cree, L1 pre-Cree, E1L (KL1), E1L Cree (KX1), E2DL, K2MS. I wouldn't say that even the early ones had any problemswith construction quality, and the recent ones are really exceptional. Cost...yeah, well, SureFire was never cheap. However, I paid under $100 for all of those listed above except for the E2DL and the K2MS. Not exactly Maglite pricing, but I think they were worth what they cost.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Optic + Cree = awesome throw. I love how the E1B and L1 give great throw without having to drive the Cree all that hard. 80 lumens goes a long way if it's all focused into a tight spot by an optic.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill,
What do I do when people write "HA2"?

I kinda figured that what it was. It had been a while since I looked at the catalog and I couldn't remember the designation for the Optics version. UA2 or UB2. I now remember it is the UA2 Optimus.

Hey you were picking on me. lol.

Seriously, I am looking forward to this light. The 200 lumens with variable focus and the fuel guage. I have so many lights sitting around that I use here and there and I never know what state of charge the batteries are in. I think I'm looking forward to the fuel guage more than any other feature, although everything about this light just looks juicy. I just have a good feeling that Surefire is going to produce a winner.

Bill