Recomendations for a 24/7 torch?

Cevulirn

Newly Enlightened
I've currently got one of those Inova coin cell keychain lights around my neck. I've taken it off a couple times, and realized how often I used it, but I'd like to upgrade.

1xAAA form factor probably. I just purchased a Fenix E01, and while I like the construction the LED is just too purple. I'll probably end up giving it away.

Any thoughts?

*edit*
This would be for daily use, I usually stick a Fenix Tk10 in my pocket while out and about, so this would be used for things like navigating the house at night.

Also, links would be appreciated, I don't know where to find some of these lights. Thanks!

Last edited:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry and use a L0PSE every single day and would buy another. So I would say one of them or a L0D woud serve you well. I do carry a couple of Photons on my keychain too, they are super small, weigh nothing and are great insurance also.

So in other words, get the AAA but keep the micro light around also ;).

Warhead

Newly Enlightened
Peak makes some nice lights with the snow led. The AAA model aluminum is nice and "light" The stainless version looks sharp, but is of course heavier.

Ever hear of the skunklight solar skylight?
http://www.skunklights.com/products.php
It is admittedly a bit blue in tint. It is a bit larger than the Inova microlight...But I think you could wear it around your neck and forget it's there. Plus, wear it outside your shirt for a while each day, you'll never need batteries for it. Something of a conversation piece, also. Only thing I can think of is you have to be mindful it's got a glass solar panel, but mine seems tough enough to handle few years use and abuse.
My 2c

-Warhead

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
24x7 meaning you want something on you for when crap hits the fan, and youre ready to rock? or just something youre going to constantly be using daily?

in general, for an EDC light, i look for small form factor (so you will always EDC it), long runtimes, a somewhat high, and a low. right now this is spread between an E01, arc-aaa, nautilus, and NDI. with a Drake as backup.

paulr

Flashaholic
I've currently got one of those Inova coin cell keychain lights around my neck. I've taken it off a couple times, and realized how often I used it, but I'd like to upgrade.

1xAAA form factor probably. I just purchased a Fenix E01, and while I like the construction the LED is just too purple. I'll probably end up giving it away. ...

You might try the Arc AAA with the snow led, or the similar Peak Matterhorn. For the Arc, visit arcflashlights.com and go to the "accessories" page. For some reason the snow version is not on the main page; it's a semi-special item since most people want the Nichia versions which are a little bit brighter (at the expense of being purple).

Marduke

Flashaholic
I personally simply cannot carry anything larger than a Photon/Fauxton around my neck. And even then it's only around the house. Anything else is simply too bulky and annoying IMO. I love my AAA lights, but they have to stay in my pockets.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Marduke, during the winter I carried the L2D Q5 in a long detachable lanyard around my neck. It might have looked goofy but you couldn't tell under the jacket I was wearing LOL.

Man I'll be spoiled with a AAA light as a neck light. :)

Cevulirn

Newly Enlightened
You might try the Arc AAA with the snow led, or the similar Peak Matterhorn. For the Arc, visit arcflashlights.com and go to the "accessories" page. For some reason the snow version is not on the main page; it's a semi-special item since most people want the Nichia versions which are a little bit brighter (at the expense of being purple).

I like the look of that. I wonder if it would be possible to mod my E01 with a snow led.