Will a SF 9N charger charge NiMH SubC's?

1HI4X

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased a 9N and am already looking for a longer run-time alternative to the stock NiCd battery stick. Through some searching I've learned that a 3 cell NiMH SubC stick will fit but am still unsure whether the stock charger will charge this configuration. Anyone?

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently purchased a 9N and am already looking for a longer run-time alternative to the stock NiCd battery stick. Through some searching I've learned that a 3 cell NiMH SubC stick will fit but am still unsure whether the stock charger will charge this configuration. Anyone?

I think NiMh charger can charge NiCad but not the contrary...so you'll need a Smart Charger like this one :thumbsup:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
on average it works. Most of Ni-Cads and Ni-Mhs are more or less pretty the same end-of-charge-voltage.
A problem were, if the Ni-Cd charger runs on full power, which a Ni-Mh cell could not stand; but the original one is way below that current

Where do You get ready-made sticks?
I had built my own because I hve not seen them anywhere (or for too much money)

1HI4X

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help guys. I may try the original charger (it isn't the quick charge) first and see how that goes. The charger it comes with is the type where the entire light can drop into the charger which I like. Hopefully I can keep this setup.

Where do You get ready-made sticks?
I had built my own because I hve not seen them anywhere (or for too much money)

While they aren't ready-made, you can buy custom packs here. In my quest I've learned that all they need is a button on the top. I'm not really sure if it cheaper to buy them this way as I haven't found a source for individual batteries nor am I sure how I'd go about getting the contacts between the cells.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello 1HI4X,

SureFire has a couple of different chargers. Their original chargers had a tendency to cook the battery packs. If you have one of these, it will cook both NiCd and NiMh packs.

They finally came out with a revised charger that utilizes a timed bulk charge, has a top off charge, then drops to a low trickle charge. This one is a lot better. If you take the charger apart, these newer chargers have a place for a switch to select between NiCd and NiMh. One of my early models actually had the switch, but when it died, it was replaced with one that did not have the switch.

You can tell which charger you have by watching to see if the green LED goes into a blinking mode at the end of the charge. Main charge has a red LED, then it goes to the top off charge with a steady green LED, then it goes to the trickle charge with a blinking green LED.

You can charge NiMh cells with a NiCd charger, but because NiCd chemistry looks for a larger -dv value, you end up overcharging the NiMh cells and they won't last as long. The new style charger may already be set up for NiMh charging. My charger with the switch had the switch in the NiMh position.

The other problem comes from the timed bulk charge. It is set up for a NiCd battery of less capacity than most replacement NiMh packs. This means that if you try to charge a larger capacity pack, it will not get fully charged.

The work around for this is to double charge.

To answer your question, yes, but with qualifications.

Tom

1HI4X

Newly Enlightened
I guess I will have to wait and see if the charger has a magic switch or not. Any idea if the C911 has a switch inside?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
as I haven't found a source for individual batteries nor am I sure how I'd go about getting the contacts between the cells.
easiest:
get 7.2 V race-packs, cut them in half and use each of the 2 sticks individually.

If You are lucky, each 3-cell stick is somehow fixed, but normally there are "only" connectors between the cells. Would have to glue them together then.

If You want single cells, You can solder them thogether (the remote-controlled guys do this to their packs).
Get a powerful iron (100 W), make blobs on both cells to be soldered, heat both at the same time and quickly get the iron away while pushing the cells together (ist best if You have something to move them, some kind of "rail". I use 2 wooden sticks with a gap of about 2 cm).
Then immediately cool them down (and dont heat them too much)
Surprisingly this really works.

Rob187

Enlightened

I recently picked up a 9AN kit with 2 B90 NiCd batterys. It was in as new condition but I think is has been sitting on a shelf in the box for a few years. The charger that came with it is the older type as described by SilverFox. I am finding off a fully charged battery the runtime on the main beam is only around 20 minutes. Its the same on both battery sticks so I think they have had it.

What sort of runtime are you getting?

Last edited:

qarawol

Enlightened
I've been charging NiMH in my older 9N chargers for many years now. The C800, C600 and the C500 drop in chargers as well as the older C400 and C200 battery only chargers, seem to do the job. I have made battery packs using 3300 mah NiMH cells to get more runtime. The new chargers (blinking green at trickle) do charge both types of cells(so I've heard).

Every so often, I do cycle the NiMH 9N battery packs on my MAHA C777 Plus II and it gives a good reading showing that there is no cell deterioration.

Njoy...

1HI4X

Newly Enlightened
FYI to all, the ORIGINAL drop in charger that does not require you to remove the battery from the light does not trickle charge (does not blink green, stays constantly green). This is disappointing since it is very convenient to just drop the light in the charger. Overall though, I love this light.

1HI4X

Newly Enlightened
Cell count: 3
Cell pack: 3 cell stick
Wire: no wire
Connector: no connector

You will still need a button for the top. In my search some are dismantlying a standard 9v battery and using the button from it. Otherwise I'm not sure what else you may use.

1HI4X

Newly Enlightened
I recently picked up a 9AN kit with 2 B90 NiCd batterys. It was in as new condition but I think is has been sitting on a shelf in the box for a few years. The charger that came with it is the older type as described by SilverFox. I am finding off a fully charged battery the runtime on the main beam is only around 20 minutes. Its the same on both battery sticks so I think they have had it.

What sort of runtime are you getting?

To follow up, 45 minutes. The battery was nearly dead and there was no usable light. I was told the battery was new when I purchased the light (used).

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you describe the set up you are using to get this sort of runtime?

Can anyone tell me what real world runtimes you get on the standard B90
NiCd battery?
40 mins when my B90 was new (which is quite SOME years now, I just keep it for the sizes)

setup: 9N w. homemade stick,
was a 3700 mAh afir. These are the yellow shrink wrapped sticks, showing a "1 hour 38 mins" (which was fresh from the charger, better calculate with 1.5 hours)

parts to make homemade sticks like described in post #8:
az0kfa64ru5luwfbe.jpg

notice these are also built for the 8X, thats what the connectors of negative are for.
With just the 9N, its far easier.

I would not give too much effort to the button tops. Disassemble a 9V batt, or a connector for it, or some battery holder that has these tops, or: use some rubber band to push the charger contacts to the stick.

PS: I would not be to anxious about the charger. If it does not trickle charge, or is said to cook the batt, or whatever: measure charging current and dont let it charge for more than the calulated time + 1 hour (or so).