Hello all - My new Fenix

Niconical

Enlightened
Firstly I'd just like to say thank you to all on the forum. :twothumbs
I've only recently got my first quality flashlights, a Fenix TK10 and a P1D CE Q5, and it was very helpful to be able to browse the knowledge and expertise here.

I do have a couple of questions though, 1 for something I'd like to know, and 1 for something I'd like to find.

Storage of the flashlight when not in use. I suppose this is the sort of thing that doesn't have a solid answer, but can anyone advise me on how long the flashlight can be stored, with batteries inside, without any negative effect like the batteries draining, leaking, or anything else?

Also, I'm looking for an accessory but I just can't seem to find it. I've tried google and ebay extensively but with no luck. What I'm looking for is a holster/pouch for the TK10, nothing fancy, like the one that came with it or the many other similar nylon types there are, BUT...., with some slots on/in the holster to store some CR123A. I've seen plenty of holsters, and some small CR123A belt pouches, but I just can't seem to find the 2 together. If anyone knows 'em or sells 'em, that would be great.

About the actual flashlights, as I mentioned, they're my first so I can't really comment or review, but I will say this. Very impressed. The TK10 was as expected based on comments and reviews, but what I found even more impressive was the P1D CE Q5. Even the medium setting on that is very good, and the turbo, considering the size of the thing, is amazing.

That's all, thank you again for all the useful info, hopefully I'll find that holster I'm looking for, then it's on to flashlight number 3 I suppose!

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
kudos on a P1D Q5, imho, one of the best little pocket rockets out there..:)

Crenshaw

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I'm not a TK10 or holster guy, so can't help you there, but my P1DCE Q5 is my most used flashlight by far, welcome to the club :thumbsup:

The CR123 batteries used in your flashlights will last by themselves roughly ten years (longer if it's colder) and will operate normally at any temperature between -40F and 140F. As a general rule, if you're doing long-term storage, where you don't plan on using the light at all, go ahead and remove the batteries. But for casual storage-until-emergency, these 123 lights have no problem being stashed away for several years at a time, including in a car.

Be sure to stick to quality brand batteries only, like Energizer, Duracell, Panasonic/Surefire. Cheaper batteries are more prone to failures.

Niconical

Enlightened
Thank you for that.

I ordered some CR123A from batterystation.com as I read some good comments on here. At the moment though I have some Varta CR123A which I bought retail (6 euros/$9 each!), reason being that my flashlights arrived far faster than expected. Sent Thursday afternoon from Toronto, arrived Monday morning in a rural area of Spain. Hopefully my batterystation pack will follow soon though.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a TK10 or holster guy, so can't help you there, but my P1DCE Q5 is my most used flashlight by far, welcome to the club :thumbsup:

The CR123 batteries used in your flashlights will last by themselves roughly ten years (longer if it's colder) and will operate normally at any temperature between -40F and 140F. As a general rule, if you're doing long-term storage, where you don't plan on using the light at all, go ahead and remove the batteries. But for casual storage-until-emergency, these 123 lights have no problem being stashed away for several years at a time, including in a car.

Be sure to stick to quality brand batteries only, like Energizer, Duracell, Panasonic/Surefire. Cheaper batteries are more prone to failures.

CR123A batteries are lithium based chemistry - it is fine to leave them in lights for as long as you want, they do not leak like the alkaline chemistry based batteries. Indeed, SF used to (maybe still?) send out their lights with batteries installed. Just make sure that there is no chance of the light accidentally turning on.

And remember to only use good quality batteries! Made in USA batteries are probably the most consistent batteries. Look to lighthound or batterystation.com for good prices.

Niconical

Enlightened
I've ordered from battery station, but I'm still waiting for a reply from Lighthound to know if they ship to Spain. They have a few things I want, and now maybe I'll end up adding that Leef body for the P1D CE if I have enough Paypal credit left.

Wednesday is pretty much cancelled while I browse that and all those dealer sites linked for me above by Tekno_Cowboy. I just clicked on one at random first (EDC depot) and it soon became clear that I should get some coffee and get comfortable!

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!

I'll second the recommendation for the Leef Clicky - it's so good you might never go back to the twisty again.

Good purchases.

Be lucky...

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've ordered from battery station, but I'm still waiting for a reply from Lighthound to know if they ship to Spain. They have a few things I want, and now maybe I'll end up adding that Leef body for the P1D CE if I have enough Paypal credit left.

Wednesday is pretty much cancelled while I browse that and all those dealer sites linked for me above by Tekno_Cowboy. I just clicked on one at random first (EDC depot) and it soon became clear that I should get some coffee and get comfortable!

Don't forget that batterystation has a cpf special page :)

MiniLux

Newly Enlightened
Also, I'm looking for an accessory but I just can't seem to find it. I've tried google and ebay extensively but with no luck. What I'm looking for is a holster/pouch for the TK10, nothing fancy, like the one that came with it or the many other similar nylon types there are, BUT...., with some slots on/in the holster to store some CR123A. I've seen plenty of holsters, and some small CR123A belt pouches, but I just can't seem to find the 2 together. If anyone knows 'em or sells 'em, that would be great.

I would guess that this one might fit the TK10:

http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=4744

It has 2 pouches for 18650's, so they should hold 4 (2 x 2) CR123A's too.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
"A thing of beauty is a joy forever"

IMG_0112modifiedcopyright-1.jpg

DSC00244.jpg

Crenshaw

Gunner12

Flashaholic
:welcome:

I don't know much about holster though, so no comments from me.

I hope the lights serve you well!

Niconical

Enlightened
That Leef clicky P1D body certainly seems popular.....

I have another question which I'd be grateful for some help with.

The Fenix L0P (takes 1 x AAA).

A review at flashlightreviews.com states the following...

"The factory has indicated that a 1.5V lithium AAA is safe to use as well and should provide excellent regulated output and runtime".

Does anyone have any experience of this? Not just this light, but any AA/AAA lights, do lithium AAA hold a more constant light throughout the life of the battery than alkaline?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The L0P is a bit old, just swapping in a current gen LED will get you at least double the output, I'd get the L0D-CE Q4 (8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8").

Lithium batteries can take much higher drain then alkaline batteries. Good NiMh batteries would be the better choice though. Look at the runtime charts chibato posted(this one is a good representation).