Coleman Max Cree, 3xAAA, 85 lm

OpticalSerenity

Newly Enlightened
I always check out the flashlight section of walmart, and I found a new 3xAAA flashlight from Coleman Max.

It says it is 85 lumens, and has a textured reflector.

I bought one for $24.95 and it's a great light. Aluminum body, the 85 lumens seems accurate, as it's just slightly brighter than the 60 lumen general mode of my TK10.

The 3xAAA are held in a battery harness.

I'll post some pictures soon...but was wondering if anyone else has one?

Last edited by a moderator:

z96Cobra

Enlightened
Re: Coleman Max Cree at walmart

Got a link to a pic of that light?

Could THIS be it?

If that is the one at Wal-Mart, it is also at Meijer. I've been looking at it for a couple of months, but always end up putting it back. The main reason I put it back... its $40 at Meijer!!! If it is $25 at Wal-Mart, I'll probably get one.

Roger

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast

recently purchased these following two lights through the Coleman Website using the FAMILY STORE entrance and the password FAMILY -- using the Coleman Website Family Store the price is $30.09 vs. $59.99 and $35.12 vs. $69.99 for the 1xCR123A and 2xCR123A lights, respectively -- quite a savings to say the least. [in my limited experience, the Coleman Family Store has OFTEN, not always, the lowest prices on anything Coleman to be found in either brick-and-mortar, or virtual/web stores].

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/subcategory.asp?CategoryID=24756

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=4347-712&categoryid=24756

these are both eXponent line gear, so, supposedly their top-o-the-line.

observations (having only played around a wee bit w/the 2xCR123A & drained dry a Duracell in the 1xCR123A):

1. aggressive appearance which disguises a thin wall Aluminum tube which uses a plastic insert to hold the battery/batteries. this light has the O.D. (outside diameter) one might typically find in a 3xAAA flashlight using the common three AAA cell battery carrier - think some Dorcy and Streamlight flashlights here, or some Streamlight and Chinese headlamps.

2. nice mode selector ring (RED-LOCKOUT-WHITE)

3. tailcap switch click turns ON and OFF (if selector ring NOT in lockout)

4. tailcap switch half-presses within, oh...maybe...1.5sec or so, cycles through HI-LO-FLASHING-and-back-to-HI. [bummer, WHITE begins w/HI; dbl-bummer that RED *BEGINS* with HI - not very well thought out, esp for the RED]. Burntimes for the two lights are the same for both: WHITE HI = 1.5h; WHITE LO = 6h; RED HI=15h; RED LO=50h.

5. Coleman claims identical burntimes for both the 1xCR123A and 2xCR123A model. How can this be? well, the 2xCR123A model claims 165lumen o.p. (output) on WHITE HI vs. the 1xCR123A model's 115lumen o.p. on WHITE HI. personally, can't measure either lumen or lux o.p., but the 2xCR123A is much, much brighter than the 1xCR123A light. however, on HI and LO RED, they appear to be identical in brightness in both models. this would mean that the Coleman is mistating the 2xCR123A RED burntimes and they are really much longer, *OR* the electronics do a poor job getting all the juice out of the 2xCR123A cells. if anyone would like some other "eyeball" side-by-side comparisons, please post back and i'll do my best to accomodate your requests over the next few days if i have the lights and the time. so sorry, that i don't own a camera.

6. LOW white modes, when compared on a white wall with programmed NovaTac EDC 120P lights, appear to be about 30lumen and 45lumen respectively to the unaided eye. HI white was not really possible to compare adequately due to the spill of the NovaTac *AND* Coleman lights - in other words, i'd need a larger white wall [getting closer didn't tell me much as all lights were so bright]. so, my guess is that the WHITE HI lumens claims are reasonable - as far as most Mfr. claims for such things go.

7. WHITE beam pattern is wonderful, IMO. a central hotspot, minimal (almost non-existent) corona on my units, and a VERY BROAD and still bright spillbeam. these are ideal lights for lighting up most of a room or a broad path outside. i'm really rather impressed with the beam quality on both of my units.

8. RED HI is MUCH, MUCH TOO bright for use in preserving one's dark adaptation. RED LO is much better, but still really is TOO bright still. RED LO ought to be RED HI, and RED LO ought to be much, much lower in intensity. RED HI is much dimmer than WHITE LO, however, in part due to the wavelength of RED light vs. "WHITE" light.

9. while i didn't keep track of burntime, the 1xCR123A seemed to burn for at the very least the Mfr. claimed amount of time (i used a lot of WHITE LO, plus some WHITE HI, and tried out the RED HI and LO modes). since i didn't do any hard and fast quantitative burntime testing, to put my pleasure with this flashlight's burntime, in perspective, i'm always disappointed and NEVER have achieved Mfr. claimed burntimes for any Black Diamond LED headlamp i've owned/own. plus, i always seem to realize how short the burntime is with BD headlamps. i didn't pick up on this and experience the same disappointment with the Coleman eXponent flashlight. i really rather pleased with my first use.

all-in-all, these lights have turned out to be pleasant surprises. even though the overly large O.D. of the lights is a slight disappointment (makes EDC-ing, while NOT problematic, not optimal either), they do have a nice feel in the hand (NOT a heft, there isn't enough Al for that, being so thin walled) and are neither too heavy, nor too lightweight. i'd still prefer a slightly smaller O.D., but these make for an interesting and not objectionable, IMO, feel in the hand.

any questions? just Post back and i'll try to address them.

swj0001

Newly Enlightened

I always check out the flashlight section of walmart, and I found a new 3xAAA flashlight from Coleman Max.

It says it is 85 lumens, and has a textured reflector.

I bought one for $24.95 and it's a great light. Aluminum body, the 85 lumens seems accurate, as it's just slightly brighter than the 60 lumen general mode of my TK10.

The 3xAAA are held in a battery harness.

I'll post some pictures soon...but was wondering if anyone else has one?

I've been hanging out here for a long time but I finally registered.

I just bought one as well. I check the flashlight section every few days at Walmart and this one appeared very recently. It is a Cree (not sure what bin) but the package said 115 lumens. (measured at the emitter - it even says so on the package. At least they're honest!)

It is not as bright as any of my Fenix (l1d, l2d, p2d Q5) but it is brighter than my original Inova T3 (TIROS). Very warm tint. For $25 I really like it, but I haven't found ANY information on it on the web. It's not even at Coleman's OR Walmart's website.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

can someone post pics of this light?
Can the 3AAA holder be replaced with an 18650 cell?

thanks!!

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast

consider the ~65mm length of the 18650 cell vs. the length of AAA cells.

the 3xAAA version, i'm guessing has the same O.D. as the eXponent CR123A lights. though the external appearance of the lights (MAX vs. the eXponent lights) is nowhere near the same, the O.D. (and I.D.) is similar to make some tooling similar for ease of manufacture, i would imagine - hence the plastic insert in the CR123A lights. a common 3xAAA battery carrier (from an '08 3xAAA StreamLight Argo C4/Cree headlamp) does partially insert into either of my CR123A eXponent lights if the plastic inserts were removed, but it's too long to fit completely into the 1xCR123A eXponent light and too short in the 2x eXponent light to make physical and electrical contact on both ends simultaneously.

this is the same problem that you're gonna' have with the 18650 in a battery tube designed for an ~44.5mm long AAA cells. remember, in MOST 3xAAA lights and headlamps, the 3xAAA are *NOT* arranged axially/linearly (i.e., pos-2-neg) in a batt tube. they are cylindrically arranged in a battery carrier (similar to the chambers of a revolver cylinder) which is only slightly longer than the length of a single AAA cell (~44.5mm in length).

hope this clears things up a bit.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast

now that we already strongly believe (w/o actually trying it - please, see my other prev. repl ON THIS SUBJECT earlier in the Thread) that the 18650 will *NOT* work in the 3xAAA light is there another option for a similar light?

put the thinking cap on, hence this second reply to you. if you are really interested in trying an 18650 cell...

i don't see why the plastic insert in the

eXponent 2xCR123A light can't be easily reamed out 2mm (there's definitely enough material, IMO) to accept a 18650 cell.

the only question is would the electronics work with it?

what i'll do is take a 14670 cell and give it a try. the 14670 will fit (it's 2mm smaller diameter than the CR123A) and we'll see in a few moments if it will power up the light. even if it does, since the electronics may not be optimized for a single +3.7-4.2 VDC Li-ion cell, it might NOT burn very long. i'll leave the burntime test to someone else if my simple test of a single 14670 cell in the 2xCR123A eXponent light fires it up at all.

i'll Post back here in a few minutes with the results of this simple test.

as Tigger used to say: "TTFN,...tah...tah...for now!!! wooo-hooo-hooo-hooo!!!!"

EDIT:

ok...the jury is back with a verdict. Mr/Ms Foreperson will you please read to the Court the jury's verdict.....[drum roll please even though it has no place in a courtroom]

the 2xCR123A eXponent Lithium flashlight FIRED UP FINE and WAS PLENTY BRIGHT on a single 14670 Li-ion cell. it operated fine on all four modes, i.e. WHITE HI, WHITE LO, RED HI, and RED LO.

so, the only remaining question is regarding burntime. if someone else would be kind enough to try it on a 2xCR123A whose plastic insert has been reamed out to accept a 17670 or a 18650 cells, it would be greatly appreciated. many thanks, half-watt

Last edited:

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast

forgot to mention in my above Post, i.e., the one my numbered comments re: the 1xCR123A eXponent Cree Lithium flashlights, that there was one interesting anomaly.

when the cell was drained to a non-reading value on a ZTS MB-1 percent-state-of-charge battery tester, *AND* the light wouldn't turn on, there was still a way to get more burntime out of the [primary] CR123A cell.

removing the tailcap and switch assembly and clicking it to one of the ON positions and then replacing the tailcap and switch ***'y leaving the sw. in one of the ON positions, caused the light to light up as soon as the ground path/circuit was completed by the tailcap spring contacting the bottom of the cell and the Aluminum tailcap's inner material making contact with the battery tube.

the light ran for quite a bit of additional time (i used it intermittently over the next 2+ hours by repeatedly starting it in the manner described above) on the "depleted" cell.

swj0001

Newly Enlightened

None of the links so far are of the light I bought. I'll try to post a pic later.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast

The only 3AAA light I have is the Leatherman Monarch (CREE w/ 140 lumens). It doesn't get used very much.

I would advise saving your money and buying a better light for a bit more.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got the 65 lumen XR-C version of this light. It's a great light. It has a textured reflector to even up the beam. The metal heatsink around the l.e.d.s is large and shiny and acts as a smooth reflector so it is still a good thrower with plenty of spill light. Mine has a red and a blue l.e.d. and they are surprisingly bright for 3mm l.e.d.s.. It has one wierd quirk though. When you turn on the blue l.e.d., the white XR-C phospor coating glows.

Blacklight

Enlightened

I got the 65 lumen XR-C version of this light. It's a great light. It has a textured reflector to even up the beam. The metal heatsink around the l.e.d.s is large and shiny and acts as a smooth reflector so it is still a good thrower with plenty of spill light. Mine has a red and a blue l.e.d. and they are surprisingly bright for 3mm l.e.d.s.. It has one wierd quirk though. When you turn on the blue l.e.d., the white XR-C phospor coating glows.

The Coleman Max version of the lights are not available on the Coleman website, they are a Wal-Mart exclusive. If you bought the 3AA version of the MAX Light then it is 115 Lumens at the emiter and is more of a silver/blue finish. Using an XR-E Cree LED. They must have just hit the stores.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Coleman Max version of the lights are not available on the Coleman website, they are a Wal-Mart exclusive. If you bought the 3AA version of the MAX Light then it is 115 Lumens at the emiter...Using an XR-E Cree LED.

sounds sorta' like a 3xAAA version of the Coleman "eXponent 1CR123A Lithium Flashlight" (found here==> http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=4347-711&categoryid=24756 )

the Lithium has HI WHITE (115 lumens for 1.5h), LO WHITE (oh..., maybe 30lumens for 6h), FLASHING WHITE, HI RED (15h), LO RED (50h), FLASHING RED modes.

white, red, and "lockout" are determined by a selector ring nearer the front of the light and the HI-LO-FLASHING-and-back-to-HI sequence is actuated via presses of the tailcap switch button. timing is used to determine if the light should turn off on a press, i.e. if the switch hasn't been pressed in, oh...maybe...~1.5sec, then the light turns OFF instead of moving to the next MODE in the sequence.

BL, how many colors does the light you purchased have?

Blacklight

Enlightened

sounds sorta' like a 3xAAA version of the Coleman "eXponent 1CR123A Lithium Flashlight" (found here==> http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=4347-711&categoryid=24756 )

the Lithium has HI WHITE (115 lumens for 1.5h), LO WHITE (oh..., maybe 30lumens for 6h), FLASHING WHITE, HI RED (15h), LO RED (50h), FLASHING RED modes.

white, red, and "lockout" are determined by a selector ring nearer the front of the light and the HI-LO-FLASHING-and-back-to-HI sequence is actuated via presses of the tailcap switch button. timing is used to determine if the light should turn off on a press, i.e. if the switch hasn't been pressed in, oh...maybe...~1.5sec, then the light turns OFF instead of moving to the next MODE in the sequence.

BL, how many colors does the light you purchased have?

the light is quite a bit different, the one currently arriving at Wal-Mart has Red, Blue and White