Romisen RC-N3 CREE Q5 Vs. CREE P4

lightbug

Enlightened
:naughty:

(left)RC-N3 P4 Vs. RC-N3 Q5 both on 16340 Li-ion. (Sorry, I don't have CREE P3 model to compare)

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool! Nice to see that you are doing the RC-N3 Q5 mod aswell as the RC-G2. It is a great light.

BTW Where can you get the silver finish of the RC-N3? It looks great.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
cool thanks...
Where'd you get the Q5 version? DX only lists it as a P4 emitter. :confused::confused::confused:

I want to mount a pair of these on my bike, and its light weight/small size puts it a small notch above the RC-V4.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
cool thanks...
Where'd you get the Q5 version? DX only lists it as a P4 emitter. :confused::confused::confused:

I want to mount a pair of these on my bike, and its light weight/small size puts it a small notch above the RC-V4.

Lightbug fits a Q5 emitter himself. I have used the standard P4 RC-N3 as a bikelight and it is quite throwy. OK I suppose when used with a floodier light too.
It is a nice enough light and the Q5 will make it a killer with good runtime.

BlueBirdTS

Newly Enlightened
I just received the regular P4 version for my brother's birthday yesterday. :ironic: Well, at least it only cost my $17.19 with free shipping. It's a very well-built light that is reasonably bright and has excellent beam quality. My opinion probably doesn't count for much since this is the first LED light I have used, but it's "lightyears" ahead of my 3D Maglite Incan.

Last edited:

davedds

Newly Enlightened
It's too bad that these were not made available a few weeks ago. When I had purchased a P4 RC-N3, I would have gotten the Q5 one if it was available...

Since you are using the stock driver, can I just get the "Q5" emitter from shiningBeam and just swap out the P4 for the Q5 and thats it??

TIA

portezbie

Newly Enlightened
doh, i just received my rc-n3 last friday, I wish I had seen this, but oh well the p4 is still a very nice light.

lightbug

Enlightened
Davedds,
Should be a easy swap, but is it worth to do it?

portezbie,
The runtime should be very similar as the old P3 version.

portezbie

Newly Enlightened
wow brighter but same batter life, gotta love technology, thanks for the info.

davedds

Newly Enlightened
Davedds,
Should be a easy swap, but is it worth to do it?
quote]

So easy as:

1) buy the Q5 with 14mm base
2) disassemble the RC-N3 head
3) Remove the old P4 with its base and unsolder the two wires
4) Replace it with the Q5 with base and resolder the two wires and make sure I have the +/- in the correct order. Maybe a bit of heat sink grease btween the base and the head.
5) put everything back together and have fun...

yes?

lightbug

Enlightened
davedds,
I'm sure it would be a simple task for you as long the head of your version of RC-N3 is not sealed. The reason I said it might not worth the time to mod is because the version of RC-N3 came with Q5 only sells for $22.98, while a CREE Q5 LED on board cost $8 just by itself.
Not everyone is good with soldering, if they are not careful they could pull out the wires on circuit board when they disassemble it. :poof:

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
RCR123A battery is significally brighter.

(RC-N3 Q5) CR123A Vs. RCR123A

So you are saying that using the RCR123 configuration is brighter than the 16340 li-ion? I just purchased 2 of these BTW...looks like a good product and really good price.