TK10/T1 or Tiablo A9 ????

painless

Newly Enlightened
Which would you choose for powerfull/useable light, durrability, versatility, run time? This will be my first serious LED light and will likely be used as my "go to" light for "what the f#@& was that" in the middle of the night light.

Are there any other sugestions?

Thanks for your thoughts.

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've looked at both these lights for myself. From what I've learned the Tiablo A9 has MUCH more throw than the either one of the Fenix lights you mentioned. I believe it's also bigger though, likely too big for an EDC light. You can also use the 18650 batteries in this as well as 123's I believe.

If you want something comparable to the size ofthe Fenix lights, look at the Tiablo MA6. That's going to be my mid size thrower when I get around to buying one. It's cheaper than the A9 and from what I've read throws nearly as much light in a smaller packeage. Good luck. Don't forget to check out the reiveiws on these as well at https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1772431&postcount=1

Dan

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think both would be fine. But if youre talking about "WTH was that in my backyard" and youre on the second level of your house, then the Tiablo would be much more suited. HOWEVER...

the tiablo operates on a two stage reverse clicky, meaning you click once, its lower mode, click twice its high mode. Its something you want to take note of if you need the light in a split second for the WTH was taht moment

Crenshaw

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
If you are interested in throwers, the T1 and A9 are both reviewed here (along with a lot of others):
Thrower review: DBS, Spear, MRV, Tiablo, Regal & clones: THROW, RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS!

Basically, spillbeam width is similar, but the the A9 throws farther and the T1 has brighter spill. For general use, I think the T1/TK10-class of less dedicated throwers (like the Tiablo MA6, Dereelight CL3H, Jetbeam Jet-II/III, Regal, etc) is a good pick. Note the Fenix lights won't run on 18650, if that matters to you.

Last edited:

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't go wrong with Fenix. Fenix-Store has a 'No questions asked lifetime warranty' policy.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
For distance throw the A9 on 2 CR123s is excellent. The Fenix has a wider beam and throws nearly as far. For me the TK10 is an easier belt carry.

Last edited:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TK10 is tougher, has a simpler UI, and is more efficient. I personally love the 2 modes - 60 lumens for 13 hours and 225 lumens for over an hour. However, it is not the light I recommend because you may need more throw to investigate things further away.

I have owned both the Tiablo A9 and Tiablo MA6. The A9 was too large, felt hollow, and was poorly fit together. I sold it shortly after I bought it. The MA6 left the opposite impression. The light is extremely well made, the only flaw being the plastic reflector retaining ring. Compact enough to be perfectly acceptable for a go to light, although still somewhat bulky. We have some very fine lights designed for flood, like the Fenix P3D, and other very fine lights for throw, like the Dereelight DBS. I think the MA6 is the only compromise that really works (compromise of length and not batteries, that is). The multimode pill can be set to come on at either high or low, and the light comes with a forward clicky too. Don't forget to read my MA6 review: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/192922. I didn't even bother to review the A9. However, others have had better luck...

To give you an idea of how far the flashlights will reach, here is the lux at 1m of a few. Keep in mind this is intensity at the brightest point - overall output is about the same. And these may not be perfectly accurate, but they are accurate relative to each other.

Fenix P3D - 3,500 lux
Fenix TK10 - 6,000 lux
Dereelight CL1H - 10,000 lux
Tiablo MA6 - 16,000 lux
Tiablo A9 - 20,000 lux
Dereelight DBS - 30,000 lux

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have both. for your purpose, sounds like the TK10 is a better choice. more versatile, and forward tactical/momentary clickie.

painless

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for the input. I have thought a bit on the MA6, yet I thought it may lack a bit on useable spill. I could be very wrong here:thinking: .

That Dereelight DBS looks mighty sweet as well. I think I will look at that MA6 again before I pull the trigger on a Fenix. Thanks again. If there are any more thoughts out there, let me have em.

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never handled either light but have looked at both as well. Keep in mind that the MA6 has several UI options including strobe and SOS (I think) as oppposed to the few that the Dereelight offers. But it just depends on what you're looking to use it for. Maybe the MA6 with an OP reflector would be the way to go.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you decide to buy and how it works out for you. I'm in the same boat as you... although am pretty sold on the MA6. Heck... just buy both!:D

Dan

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I own a Fenix TK10 and a Tiablo A9.

If I lost my TK10, I'd be a bit upset for about a minute. But I wouldn't bother replacing it. My A9 would be a completely different story!

It's not just output. Overall, the A9 is a better light than the TK10.... once you replace the standard reverse-clickie with a forward clickie; available from Lighthound. I also removed the anti-roll device from my A9.

The A9 is one of the best lights I own.... and this is coming from someone with a small collection of Surefires.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own a Fenix TK10 and a Tiablo A9.

If I lost my TK10, I'd be a bit upset for about a minute. But I wouldn't bother replacing it. My A9 would be a completely different story!

It's not just output. Overall, the A9 is a better light than the TK10.... once you replace the standard reverse-clickie with a forward clickie; available from Lighthound. I also removed the anti-roll device from my A9.

The A9 is one of the best lights I own.... and this is coming from someone with a small collection of Surefires.

have to agree with that, :)

i seeeriously need that forward clicky....but everywhere that has them has expensive shipping for me....:shakehead

Crenshaw

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the light is for "WTF was that?" moments around the inside of your home, a thrower like a Tiablo or DBS doesn't make much sense. The TK10's beam would be much more suited for this task, and I would grab my TK10 before my DBS for this type of moment. The throwers have a very tight hot spot, and inside it will be very small wherever you shine it, unless you have a 200 foot long room and you are trying to see who is on the other side. :) The TK10 will give you a larger hot spot which will be easier to put on target. It will also give you more spill to see your surroundings. It is also smaller and offers the cigar grip if you are using it with a pistol, etc.

BMF

Enlightened
If the light is for "WTF was that?" moments around the inside of your home, a thrower like a Tiablo or DBS doesn't make much sense. The TK10's beam would be much more suited for this task, and I would grab my TK10 before my DBS for this type of moment. The throwers have a very tight hot spot, and inside it will be very small wherever you shine it, unless you have a 200 foot long room and you are trying to see who is on the other side. :) The TK10 will give you a larger hot spot which will be easier to put on target. It will also give you more spill to see your surroundings. It is also smaller and offers the cigar grip if you are using it with a pistol, etc.

+1.

But I don't think a light at around 200 lumens is for used inside home, right? So the A9 will be the one.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1.

But I don't think a light at around 200 lumens is for used inside home, right? So the A9 will be the one.

It depends. You can adjust the TK10 to 60 lumens and leave it there if the 200 lumen mode would be too much. Personally if I was going to shine it at someone I'd want to hit them with as many lumens as possible. :)

BMF

Enlightened
+1.

Originally Posted by WadeF
It depends. You can adjust the TK10 to 60 lumens and leave it there if the 200 lumen mode would be too much. Personally if I was going to shine it at someone I'd want to hit them with as many lumens as possible. :)

I think the A9 will do a better job in shinning someone's face with higher lumens rating :laughing:

Highbeam101

Newly Enlightened
I have a Lowes Task force because i can't afford the others right now. Let me tell you, for 30 bucks this thing throws a ton. Forget my yard, I can check the neigbors yard four houses down!