Looking for a Xenon Flashlight that uses 1 CR123?

Darkcobra

Enlightened
Hello All,
I'd like to have a Xenon Flashlight that runs off of a single CR123 battery that won't necessarily break the bank.
Is there a such animal? I figured that would be bright enough, compact enough and have a decent run time for camping or simple day to day uses.
Any info would be much appreciated.

Joel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

flashlightDR

Newly Enlightened
It sure looks good...
STREAMLIGHT®
Twin-Task™
1-cell Lithium
Battery (1) 3 Volt lithium with a shelf life of nearly ten years
Bulb
High-intensity xenon.
OR
Three, 100,000-hour lifetime, high-intensity Light-Emitting Diodes (LEDs)
Material Computer-machined aluminum with anodized finish; Unbreakable polycarbonate lens
Color Black
Titanium
Weight
(with batteries) 112 grams
Dimensions 1.38" (D) X 4.09" (L)
Run Time (2-Modes) Up to 1.5 hours (xenon)
Up to 9.5 hours (3 LEDs)
Special Features Water-resistant, O-ring sealed; Adjustable focus; Micro-faceted reflector; Enhanced knurled grip; Lanyard included

STREAMLIGHT®
Twin-Task™
2-cell Lithium
Battery (2) 3 Volt lithium with a shelf life of nearly ten years
Bulb
High-intensity xenon.
OR
Three, 100,000-hour lifetime, high-intensity Light-Emitting Diodes (LEDs)
Material Computer-machined aluminum with anodized finish; Unbreakable polycarbonate lens
Color Black
Titanium
Weight
(with batteries) 152 grams
Dimensions 1.34" (D) X 5.43" (L)
Run Time (2-Modes) Up to 2.5 hours (xenon)
Up to 28 hours (3 LEDs)
Special Features Water-resistant, O-ring sealed; Adjustable focus; Micro-faceted reflector; Enhanced knurled grip; Lanyard included

Size15's

Flashaholic
I thought Streamlight were just distributing for Asian manufacturer with these lights and they are available from Asia already with different badges?

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think if you're going to use a 1x123 light, you might as well get a luxeon star based light since they're more efficient than xenon bulbs. for example, the E1e produces 15 lumens of unregulated output for 90 mins, vs 16 lumens of regulated output for 90 mins with the KL1 bezel. alternatively you might also want to look at the arc LS series.

Size15's

Flashaholic
L1 white or green /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I think that a single cell SF123A incandescent does loose out to Luxeons unless you need a "beam" in which case the Luxeons can not match the E1e for thin beam throw.

Al

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
The streamlights are rebadges from overseas, but I forget the name...They have been pushed back to June '03.

Although a bit pricey, for a 1x123 light, I also recommend the E1e, and put a beamshaper on it, as the beam is a bit thin...

--dan

B@rt

Flashaholic
Hi arioch,
the link is screwing up my screen... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
could you please replace it with this?
Cabela's
(Just use URL button in the reply screen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

TIA,

draftaman

Newly Enlightened
Here is the manufacturer of these lights.
http://www.nuwai.com.tw/all.htm
I have the 2 cell version of this light and it's added bulk(compared to other lights)isnt that bad but it's maybe just a little too heavy for edc cary.
I was looking at the weight of these and the the one cell version isnt that much lighter than the 2 cell.
One of the things I go after in a 1 cell light is extreme portability(read small and lightweight) but if it feels like a brick in my pocket I'll end up not carrying it and taking a different light.
That being said, This is still a quality light That I like a lot.

Kirk

Enlightened
I bought one of the Cabela lights to replace my E1/KL1 for everyday carry and the bezel of the Cabela is so much bigger in diameter than the Surefire that it was not comfortable to carry in my back pocket. Rats! I really wanted the dual-beam capability. The Cabela would fit OK in a front pocket if my pockets didn't already have keys and other junk in them. For camping the Cabela would be an ideal light just for reasons of its extended run time when using the LEDs. Its water resistance, light weight, and the option of a pretty decent xenon beam are pluses.
Kirk

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight TwinTask light is cut differently than the Nuwai/Cabelas branded lights, reducing the amount of aluminum used, thereby reducing it's bulk and weight. Same manufacturer, different design. We'll have to wait and see how they are when they come out. I'm really looking forward to getting the one 123a version.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Looking for a Xenon Flashlight that uses 1 CR1

E1/E1e is really quite hard to go wrong with. The beam is a little skinny, so a beamshaper or a bit of writeright might come in handy.

Darkcobra

Enlightened

Thanks for all the given information everyone!
The Surefire E1 looks to be the best bet, but for me loses out in the budget department of about $70.00.
I like the one from Cabela's though, it looks like its got a durable body and the capability of Xenon and LED, which should fit the bill for my camping/fishing and quite possibly for EDC use carried in the front pocket. I may just order it soon : )

Thank!

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Go to the bottom of this page. That 7004 flashlight uses a single 123. It comes with a vacuum bulb. But Dorcy makes a krypton replacement. You can find them at Sears for less than $3 for a 2 pack. Not quite as good as a xenon but close.

kodiak

Enlightened

This looks very interesting for a mod. Does anyone have one to post a review on it.

arioch

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Hi arioch,
the link is screwing up my screen...
could you please replace it with this?
Cabela's
(Just use URL button in the reply screen. )

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Bart! I was having difficulty getting the lengthy address into the URL slot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Thanks for your help, Size15's! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif