GOT MY CREE LED!!!

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I was just at Walmart and I went to look at their flashlights, and I saw a light I had never seen before. It was a "Coleman MAX 3xAAA battery 115 Lumen CREE LED Aluminum Flashlight" and it uses a "Cree Xlamp XR-E LED" it was only $25 dollars so I bought it.

The light is AMAZING! I am so happy to finally have a CREE LED, which I have been looking for for a very long time.

It is so bright it blows away my Coast LED Lenser, I had no idea small flashlights could be this powerful. It truly is a "Pocket-Rocket"!

I just wanted to say thanks so much to the flashaholics who taught me about CREE LEDs, I am blown away!

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Depending on the bin of Cree XR-E they use in the light, you might be able to get more output by swapping in a higher bin LED.

Time to change that singature.

There are smaller lights that can have similar output(but not as much throw due to the smaller refelctor).

Also if you have the money, think about the Dereelight DBS, one of the best throwing stock LED light(well it does cost $120-150, not including batteries).

BMF

Enlightened
Congrads on your new light! I'm glad you like it.

There is an AAA light, 2 in a package, at Sam's Club that's pretty bright (I bought one) for $28.74 per package of 2.

Here's a thread of it.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
BMF,

Thanks for the link! The one from Sam's Club looks like a very nice light, I'm glad you like yours.

Gunner12,

Signature changed!:thumbsup:

I am just so happy to have a CREE LED, and thanks for telling me about the Dereelight DBS, it sounds like a beast of a light.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast

There is an AAA light, 2 in a package, at Sam's Club that's pretty bright (I bought one) for $28.74 per package of 2.

Here's a thread of it.

Does this use the new TFFC K2? I'm trying to decide which of these 2 lights to get my mom, but 2 for 29 is a dang good deal.

BMF

Enlightened
Originally Posted by BMF

Here's a thread of it.

Does this use the new TFFC K2? I'm trying to decide which of these 2 lights to get my mom, but 2 for 29 is a dang good deal.

Yes, it is. If you read my link you'll find out.

Hofgrad01

Newly Enlightened

Here's a thread of it.

Congrats on the new light Bluebeam

BMF
There is a similar light at BJ's for $29/pair. It's a two pack of aluminum led flashlights that use 3AAAs each. Name on the lights is tradecraft. Says they have Luxeon K2 LEDs rated at 120 lumens. Comes with the batts

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
UPDATED WITH CORRECT INFORMATION:

I just tried my new CREE outside, it brightly illuminated my whole yard and it easily throws to other houses in the neighborhood. It is noticeably brighter (puts out more light) than my 3.44 watt Coast LED Lenser, and seems to throw farther (it throws about 100 yards or more). It is like a miniature searchlight.

The interesting thing about it is that it uses an actual reflector like an ordinary flashlight, rather than the Coast's "Optic". IMHO it has a brighter and more intense beam than the Coast, and I think that is because of its OP reflector.
:thumbsup: For my new Coleman CREE!

Last edited:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Nice! Gonna have to head to Walmart to check it out.

Does the flashlight search ever end?:grin2:

You really should get one! It is so bright it is like a "miniature sun" I have no other way to describe it.

Marduke

Flashaholic
You really should get one! It is so bright it is like a "miniature sun" I have no other way to describe it.

I look forward to your reaction when you get a REALLY bright light, especially one that's even smaller with better, regulated runtime.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Marduke,

I would be surprised to see a light as small or smaller that is brighter, but I know they do exist! I compared my new CREE to my 35 Watt HID spotlight, and it held up better then I could ever imagine for of such a small light, even if though it was just a fraction of the output of the 3100 lumen HID.
But for being so small, the Coleman CREE completely blows me away!

Last edited:

BMF

Enlightened
Originally Posted by Marduke
I look forward to your reaction when you get a REALLY bright light, especially one that's even smaller with better, regulated runtime.

+1

And if you have the same Lenser, look at this thread and buy it if you can find one on sale at MarkerPlace or upcoming mode.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Here's WadeF's DBS review. The newer V2 version is a bit sorter but it has the same reflector so performance and beam pattern is the same.

As for something smaller and brighter, try something like this or this with a RCR123 battery. The LED will pretty much be directly driven by the battery and this will create quite a bit of output. But it won't throw as far due to the smaller reflector.

I'm glad you like the light.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
+1

And if you have the same Lenser, look at this thread and buy it if you can find one on sale at MarkerPlace or upcoming mode.

Thanks BMF,

I have always found Flashcrazy's Coast mod to be quite amazing because I have the exact LED Lenser light he modded. I would say the modded Coast looks about the same brightness as my new CREE LED, but I know it is putting out more light than my CREE.

It is funny to shine both my 3.44 Watt Coast and my new CREE on the wall at the same time, because the CREE looks so much brighter.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Thanks BMF,

I have always found Flashcrazy's Coast mod to be quite amazing because I have the exact LED Lenser light he modded. I would say the modded Coast looks about the same brightness as my new CREE LED, but I know it is putting out more light than my CREE.

It is funny to shine both my 3.44 Watt Coast and my new CREE on the wall at the same time, because the CREE looks so much brighter.

And just think, that Cree isn't even running over 2 watts, just a tad over 1 watt. That's why it's best to ignore wattage ratings when it comes to LED's, it quickly becomes rather meaningless.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Here's WadeF's DBS review. The newer V2 version is a bit sorter but it has the same reflector so performance and beam pattern is the same.

As for something smaller and brighter, try something like this or this with a RCR123 battery. The LED will pretty much be directly driven by the battery and this will create quite a bit of output. But it won't throw as far due to the smaller reflector.

I'm glad you like the light.

Thanks for the suggestions!

The DBS is a searchlight! In the beamshots it looked like an underpowered version of my HID spotlight, which is just unbelievable for a small LED flashlight! I would really like to get one of those some day.

Also, my Coleman CREE has the exact same kind of OP reflector as the DBS, giving it the same beam pattern and great throw.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
How wide is the reflector?

The DBS has a reflector around the same width as the MagC/D ligths but deeper. Because of that it has a narrow beam with a strong hotspot.

There are similar ones at DX for a lower price, but they will be harder to upgrade and quality won't be as good as the DBS.

Have you seen this thread?

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
How wide is the reflector?

The DBS has a reflector around the same width as the MagC/D ligths but deeper. Because of that it has a narrow beam with a strong hotspot.

There are similar ones at DX for a lower price, but they will be harder to upgrade and quality won't be as good as the DBS.

Have you seen this thread?

Wow, that light is like an LED version of the Maxabeam! What an amazing mod!

The reflector on my CREE is a one inch in diameter, and it is 1 or 2 inches deep. The light itself measures exactly five inches long. It is very lightweight, and has a nice wristband.