GOT MY CREE LED!!!

LEDrock

Enlightened
The Sportsman Xtreme 3 watt CREE is rated at 80 lumens, the Coleman CREE is rated at 115 lumens, and the Task Force CREE is rated at 150 lumens.

I do want to get the Task Force and maybe the Sportsman Xtreme, but I sure am enjoying my Coleman!

Sorry. I should have been more clear with my question. I meant how does it compare as far as quality. And does the Coleman's 115 lumens look significantly brighter than the Sportsman Extreme's 80 lumens (which people say is closer to about 65 lumens in reality).

Also, is it really 115 lumens, or does it appear the manufacturer is padding that number?

Marduke

Flashaholic
Sorry. I should have been more clear with my question. I meant how does it compare as far as quality. And does the Coleman's 115 lumens look significantly brighter than the Sportsman Extreme's 80 lumens (which people say is closer to about 65 lumens in reality).

Also, is it really 115 lumens, or does it appear the manufacturer is padding that number?

It's 115 emitter lumens. Since it is most likely direct drive with no regulation, that value will drop after about 30 minutes or less.

LEDrock

Enlightened
In that case, I got to get me one of these things! So far, my brightest light is a River Rock 2AA. Bright, but narrow beam. I'm dreaming of having a Cree now!

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*

I don't have the Rayovac Sportsman CREE, but I know it is rated at 80 lumens so I think the 115 lumen Coleman should be brighter.

I'm not sure if they are rated by out the front lumens (actual light output) or rated by how many lumens the LED bulb generates without the reflector and lens (emitter lumens).

EDIT: I could be mistaken about emitter lumens and out the front lumens.

But IIRC they are both the same price so if you want maximum brightness get the Coleman, or if you want maximum runtime get the Rayovac.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
I don't have the Rayovac Sportsman CREE, but I know it is rated at 80 lumens so I think the 115 lumen Coleman should be brighter.

I'm not sure if they are rated by out the front lumens (actual light output) or rated by how many lumens the LED bulb generates without the reflector and lens (emitter lumens).

EDIT: I could be mistaken about emitter lumens and out the front lumens.

But IIRC they are both the same price so if you want maximum brightness get the Coleman, or if you want maximum runtime get the Rayovac.

The Rayovac Cree is much brighter, 3C format. The type you are probably thinking of is a Lux III

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
The Rayovac Cree is much brighter, 3C format. The type you are probably thinking of is a Lux III

I thought the 3 watt Xtreme Sportsman was a CREE but I was mistaken.

How many lumens would the Rayovac 3C CREE put out? I remember hearing it is 4 watts, so would it be brighter than the Task Force 2C CREE?

Marduke

Flashaholic

How many lumens would the Rayovac 3C CREE put out? I remember hearing it is 4 watts, so would it be brighter than the Task Force 2C CREE?

150 lumens
http://www.rayovac.com/flashlight/se4w3c.shtml

Word of advice......

I think you might be better served sitting back and waiting a while, studying what's out there. Buying up cheap every light which is brighter than the next is a quick way to get a lot of cheap junk you won't use. If you save up a little, turn two or three of those cheap purchases into one good one, and you'll have a MUCH better quality and functioning light that you will continue to use.

Just something to think about.

BMF

Enlightened

Originally Posted by Marduke
150 lumens

Word of advice......

I think you might be better served sitting back and waiting a while, studying what's out there. Buying up cheap every light which is brighter than the next is a quick way to get a lot of cheap junk you won't use. If you save up a little, turn two or three of those cheap purchases into one good one, and you'll have a MUCH better quality and functioning light that you will continue to use.

Good advice!

Originally Posted by BlueBeam22

I think you've read this thread (part 2) about TF.

And the beam shots/outputs between TF & Ray-O-Vac.

I think if you follow Markdude's advice you'll be better with good collections. I've bought lots and now having too many lights, good and cheap, most of them I've touched a few times.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Thanks Marduke,

You are right, I shouldn't buy lots of cheap lights, I should only get really good ones.

I had not been buying lots of cheap LED's, but when I saw that Coleman CREE in Walmart I knew how special it was because of all the good things I have heard on CPF about CREE's, and it turned out to be a my dream EDC light.:D

BMF,

Thaks for the link, the Task Force 2C appears to put out more light than the Rayovac 3C, I have always wondered how the two compare. The Rayovac 3C must have a better battery life than the Task Force 2C.

I think my Coleman would be close in light output to the Rayovac and the Task Force, maybe 75% the light output of them (rough estimate).

kramer5150

Flashaholic
150 lumens

Word of advice......

I kind of agree with this... providing the OP takes the time to really study up on the different lights and has a firm understanding of what his own preferences are. The flip side of it though is, how does the OP know what his preferences are without first using the various lights?:sigh:

To the OP....
Lowes TF, Cree, 2C- For $30, its a good light but not THAT good. The one thing it does do decently well is throw. But an inexpensive DX P60 host + DX11836 will handily out-throw it and flood more light to the sides at the same time. The TF is also very heavy, and very poor machining quality.

ROV sportsman Xtreme, Lux Rebel, 2AA, 3 Watt- I think you should pass on this as well. Its not a throw monster or a serious lumen blaster by any stretch. That more than anything else will leave you wanting more, coming from 115Lumen Coleman/Cree-land. It is a color and beam quality champ though. Nice natural sunlight tint, and a very smooth, floody beam projection. No rings or halos... superb natural looking light thats great for mmid range stuff around the house. Its only about 60-70 Lumens though, so your 3AAA direct drive Cree will leave it in the dust. Like the Lowes, it is a $30 light that is also outclassed by many of the budget Romosen & Ultrafire lights at DX

one of the mistakes I made, was buying cheap high Lumen lights and neglecting the opposite end of the spectrum. Believe it or not, my most used light is a 10 Lumen AA minimag with nite-ize 3LED drop in. It runs for 15-20 or so hours on a pair of alkaline cells, and is perfect for seeing things in the dark, without blinding you, when your eyes are completely dilated to darkness.:thumbsup: I am using it now to light up my keyboard as I type.

Last edited:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I kind of agree with this... providing the OP takes the time to really study up on the different lights and has a firm understanding of what his own preferences are. The flip side of it though is, how does the OP know what his preferences are without first using the various lights?:sigh:

To the OP....
Lowes TF, Cree, 2C- For $30, its a good light but not THAT good. The one thing it does do decently well is throw. But an inexpensive DX P60 host + DX11836 will handily out-throw it and flood more light to the sides at the same time. The TF is also very heavy, and very poor machining quality.

ROV sportsman Xtreme, Lux Rebel, 2AA, 3 Watt- I think you should pass on this as well. Its not a throw monster or a serious lumen blaster by any stretch. That more than anything else will leave you wanting more, coming from 115Lumen Coleman/Cree-land. It is a color and beam quality champ though. Nice natural sunlight tint, and a very smooth, floody beam projection. No rings or halos... superb natural looking light thats great for mmid range stuff around the house. Its only about 60-70 Lumens though, so your 3AAA direct drive Cree will leave it in the dust. Like the Lowes, it is a $30 light that is also outclassed by many of the budget Romosen & Ultrafire lights at DX

one of the mistakes I made, was buying cheap high Lumen lights and neglecting the opposite end of the spectrum. Believe it or not, my most used light is a 10 Lumen AA minimag with nite-ize 3LED drop in. It runs for 15-20 or so hours on a pair of alkaline cells, and is perfect for seeing things in the dark, without blinding you, when your eyes are completely dilated to darkness.:thumbsup: I am using it now to light up my keyboard as I type.

kramer5150,

Thank you for the great advice.

You really hit the nail on the head about neglecting low-powered LED lights, my Coleman CREE and Coast are way too bright to use for seeing around in the dark.
I bought a miniature 1xAAA Dorcy 5mm LED flashlight from Walmart for five dollars, and I believe it puts out 5-10 lumens, but it is so great to use at night in a dark room or hallway, and it puts out a nice round circle of light. I imagine it can run for 20 hours or more because it is so low-output compared to the higher power lights. The Dorcy 5mm is better than the Coleman CREE in some ways.

I am very happy with my Coleman CREE for now, and I do plan on getting a Nite-Ize drop-in from Walmart for my 4D Maglite some time soon.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was at Walmart today and couldn't resist picking up the 115 lumen Colman. It states on the back that it is 115 emitter lumens rated by Cree and the out the front lumens would be less from optical loss and junction temperature. It is a fun light with selector ring for red, blue, or the white Cree. Now I'm waiting for it to get dark.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's actually a pretty nice light. I'm not real crazy about the 3xAAA format though. I guess you could run 3 Eneloops, etc. It's kinda like a poor man's SF Kroma. The 115 emitter lumen white Cree should equal or surpass the Kroma's 50 lumens out the front, and then you have a selector dial for red and blue. There are now low modes though. Like I said, a poor man's Kroma. :) It does offer a forward clicky which is nice, and it feels pretty solid. It seems to be around 1,400LUX at 1 meter, so it's far from something like a Fenix TK10 with 6,000LUX at one meter.

kavvika

Enlightened
I saw that light at Walmart last week when I went in to snag the last remaining Maxfire LX I found hidden. It looks rather nice compared to the many cheap lights I've seen a B&M stores. Glad it's serving you well, and I might just have to pick one up to try it out.

I work at Lowe's, and we only carry the 6PL and G2L, but they are now locked in cages away from sticky fingers. Curious, I did a item search for "flashlight" one day and came across a third Surefire item (excluding the 2-pack of Surefire CR123A's) titled "Surefire SOS". I looked in the SOS catalog, there was a catagory divider titled "Flashlight", but the SOS item's page was not present. Nor did any of my managers or co-workers know what Surefire SOS items are available. The reason I bring this up is bluebeam was talking about other good B&M flashlights to purchase, and with my employee discount, I could get some new Surefire's for a sweet price. Bluebeam, have you decided on your next light?

Also, like I promised a few weeks ago, I comparedthe TF 2C Cree and my Flashcrazy-modded Coast, and the TF kills it in both total output, spill, and throw. But, build quality is far from acceptable, IMO.