Best ~$5 1AA clicky (not twisty)? or just get the RC-G2 @ $11?

fstuff

Newly Enlightened
DealExtreme has a whole bunch of 1AA LED flashlights for around $5.

AA because it has 3x the energy of AAA batteries, and because it's easy to find in stores (as opposed to, say, CR123).
1AA because it's compact.

yeah, i know about the RC-G2 ($11) and it's great reviews (Throw @ 200ft :faint: ):

Just wondering if there's a good bang for the buck at the $5 price point?

THX

Last edited by a moderator:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The RC-G2 can be quite a bit brigther if you swap in a higher bin Cree XR-E LED.

At $5, I don't think there are any really good bamd for the buck since most aren't that bright and quality is only decent at most(usually, there might be exceptions).

m16a

Enlightened
If you are like me and only get very small increments of money a week, I'd suggest waiting a few more weeks and buying a Fenix E01. Its only $15 and so far has proven to be a very good light for the price!

Joshatdot

Enlightened
I didn't get the RC-G2 because it was too thick around for my tastes, so I got SAIK RC-A3's and I've been very very happy with them.

Last edited by a moderator:

fstuff

Newly Enlightened
If you are like me and only get very small increments of money a week, I'd suggest waiting a few more weeks and buying a Fenix E01. Its only $15 and so far has proven to be a very good light for the price!

Fenix E01: https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=435

• Uses a Nichia white GS LED with a life of 100,000 hours
• Constant brightness: 10 Lumens
• Uses one 1.5V AAA ( Alkaline, Ni-MH, Lithium ) battery, inexpensive and widely available
• 7.1cm (Length) x 1.4cm (Diameter)
• 21-hour working time ( 11-hour sun mode plus 10-hour moon mode)
• Made of aircraft-grade aluminum
• Durable Type III hard anodized finish
• 14-gram weight (excluding batteries)
• Waterproof to IPX-8 Standard
• Reliable twist switch
• Capable of standing up securely on a flat surface to serve as a candle

How is this only $15?!?!

And being a twisty is a deal breaker for me. I keep the flashlight on my beltpouch. twistys turn on by itself sometimes when i run/jump/move, thus killing the battery. :(

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO, skip almost anything in the 5-6 dollar drive range there. The really good value stuff is cheaper, and the good stuff is more expensive.

Crenshaw

Hermes1908

Newly Enlightened
Go for the RC-G2. If you spend $20 you can get an RC-G2 with a Q5 emitter from shiningbeam.com that puts out 100 lumens on 1AA battery!

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
The RC-G2 is a very nicely made light. It is OK as it comes but it is much better if the driver and emitter is upgraded. It is a thrower.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you haven't already check out bessiebenny's budget lights thread

For a floodier cheap light I really liked the Romisen RC-H3. Great build quality, small and useful with a forward clicky. Nothing really good in the ~5 range but a number of budget lights that provide good bang for the buck in the $10-15 range.

marschw

Newly Enlightened
And being a twisty is a deal breaker for me. I keep the flashlight on my beltpouch. twistys turn on by itself sometimes when i run/jump/move, thus killing the battery. :(
That's not an issue with this light; there's enough space to unscrew it that it won't happen. Even if it did, you'd have 10 hours to notice before it went into night mode.

That said, it's not very bright.

sino

Newly Enlightened
Just to clarify -- it's not a blue LED, it's a white LED with a particularly cool color tint.

"Cool" as in good, or cool as in not warm? Either way, some people don't like the blue tint.

I don't mean to be unkind, but the person who suggested the E01 ignored the original poster's requirement for a clicky and not a twisty, AND the request for a 1 AA light, not a 1 AAA like the E01.

At any rate, there's no comparison beam-wise or brightness-wise between the E01 and the G2. The E01 excels at providing a dim light for a very long time, but I think the original poster's needs would be better met with the G2. Simply can't go wrong with that light, particularly for $11.

marschw

Newly Enlightened
Cool as in not-warm color temperature. Referring to a desirably warm color temperature as "cool" would be singularly confusing... I've gotta remember to do that some time!