Led drop in for SureFire

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Just emailed SureFire asking when they expected to start selling the P61L drop in. Got an answer just seconds later! :)

"At the time there is no projected release date for the P61L"

Bummer... So now im thinking of getting the Wolf Eye Q5 instead, should I, or should I wait for something better?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I heard it was supposed to be 200 lumen.

I think the Dereelight drop-ins and the Malkoff M60 drop-in are both around 200 lumen.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
:twothumbs The malkoff seem to be in stock lately !!!!!!!!

BigD64

Enlightened
Don't forget lumens listed at 200 are usually emitter lumens, not net lumens.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
According to SureFires catalog the P61L are going to be 200 Lumen, and that would mean out the front since its surefires measuring. I dont know anything more than I read in the -08 catalog, it might be nice compromise between output and runtime.

The WE Q5 drop in Im looking at are rated 260Lumen for 180 min on 3 X CR123 regulated, and 14 hours? totoal.

I have seen a beamshot (this one) with the WE Q5 and It looks like theres a big dark arean between the first light area in fron of the light and the hotspot. The whole thread are here
Thats why Im a bit unsure about getting the WE Q5...But who knows... :)

Brigadier

Enlightened
According to SureFires catalog the P61L are going to be 200 Lumen, and that would mean out the front since its surefires measuring. I dont know anything more than I read in the -08 catalog, it might be nice compromise between output and runtime.

The WE Q5 drop in Im looking at are rated 260Lumen for 180 min on 3 X CR123 regulated, and 14 hours? totoal.

I have seen a beamshot (this one) with the WE Q5 and It looks like theres a big dark arean between the first light area in fron of the light and the hotspot. The whole thread are here
Thats why Im a bit unsure about getting the WE Q5...But who knows... :)

I use this WE Q5 in my 9P:

http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-139-114-125-6437

standard.jpg

It's beam pattern is on the left, P3D on turbo on the right:

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I run it with ROV RL123 primaries.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Thanks for the beamshots! Im leaning towards the WE...

Now for the final push....Its just around the corner, I can hear it... :)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
... So now im thinking of getting the Wolf Eye Q5 instead, should I, or should I wait for something better?

Don't own that drop-in. But those who do, have told me that there's a slight gap just behind the reflector; after installation. Other than that, I've only heard good things about the W.E. drop-in. The gap doesn't seem to cause any practical problems.

I've been holding out for the SF P61L to put into my C2. But I'm tired of waiting. It's ridiculous that SF is holding off on introducing the P61L when other companies are already offering drop-ins capable of competing with what Surefire still has not introduced.

I'll likely get the W.E. drop-in myself. That, or perhaps the one Bug Out Gear is offering.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget lumens listed at 200 are usually emitter lumens, not net lumens.

Not always. If the drop in is a Q5 or R2 being driven at 1A-1.2A it should have around 250-280 emitter lumens. That would translate into about 200 lumens, or more, coming out the front.

The Malkoff M60 is most likely over 200 lumens out the front. The optic is very efficient. I'm not sure what current Gene sends to the Cree Q5 in the M60, probably 1.1A or better. Gene states "The output is 235+ lumens." which maybe possible if he's getting 260-270 emitter lumens and the optic results in a 10-15% loss. Remember, LED's project their lumens forward, unlike incan bulbs, so there is much less loss.

I've been holding out for the SF P61L to put into my C2. But I'm tired of waiting. It's ridiculous that SF is holding off on introducing the P61L when other companies are already offering drop-ins capable of competing with what Surefire still has not introduced.

Why wait? If the P61L is rated for 200 lumens, it will probably have termal management like their P60L, meaning you may not get 200 lumens for long before it drops the output. Also it may cost a good deal more than other available drop-ins. SF can't get more lumens out of a LED than other companies, but they will probably have a nicely made and quality drop in, hopefully with a very nice looking beam. I wonder if there is any change they would use a P7 or the new multie emitter Cree? Maybe that's what they are waiting on.

If you have a light than can take a P60 style drop in, get the Malkoff M60, it's awesome, and as good, if not better, than a SF drop in.

Last edited:

HunkaBurninLove

Newly Enlightened
LOL @ LukeA :crackup:

I have the same WE drop-in that Brigadier has and a Malkoff M60L. To me, the WE has a bigger hotspot than the Malkoff. One of these days I want to get the higher rated M60.

Looking back, I should have paid a little more for the M60. But at that time, the M60's were very scarce.

They're both good drop-ins, but the Malkoffs use a nice solid brass heat sink.

Good luck on your decision!

Brigadier

Enlightened
Don't own that drop-in. But those who do, have told me that there's a slight gap just behind the reflector; after installation. Other than that, I've only heard good things about the W.E. drop-in. The gap doesn't seem to cause any practical problems.

Look carefully at my pics of the 9P again. Do you see a gap?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
To ~ Wade

Ooops! Forgot to put Gene's M60 drop-in on my short list of possibles, over an SF P61L. Thanks for the reminder, Wade. :)

------------------------
To ~ Brigadier

I honestly can't tell, from the pic. As mentioned before, others who use the W.E. drop-in in their Surefire lights have mentioned that there's a slight gap. But it's still one of the aftermarket drop-ins I'm considering for my C2 since I'm sick of waiting for Surefire to introduce their P61L.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Solarforce R2 drop-in for only $20.00 at Lighthound.com and possibly cheaper elsewhere is the real bargain. I have tested it and posted elsewhere that mine measured a real 200 lumens out the front, through the glass, reading in the Solarforce L2 host; thats into a 6 inch integration sphere/lumens meter at work. With 2 to 4 batteries output was the same but the current draw from the batteries went down with higher voltage. The beam is not the smoothest but it is very good. This R2 pill drops into the Surefires M and P series just fine.

I have found this to be a very useful Lumens output range pill.