Is a SF G3L + Cree R2 brighter than a SF G2L + Cree R2?

dmz

Enlightened
Is a SF G3L + Cree R2 brighter than a SF G2L + Cree R2? Or is it just a difference in run time?

Last edited:

jake25

Enlightened
it depends on the Dropin

i think the SolarForce one which i think is rated between 3.8v-18v?

if you use a higher voltage you'll just have more runtime and maybe a little bit brighter.

dmz

Enlightened
What's the brightest SolarForce drop in? Does any one have a SolarForce drop in their G3L?

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Solarforce R2, swapping between my 9P and M2. Due to the regulation in the driver, there's hardly any difference in brightness when running 2xCR123a, 3xCR123a or 2x3.7v Li-Ons. However it is noticeably dimmer when running on 1x17670 in the M2.

harddrive

Enlightened
FUSION (or anyone else),

What sort of runtime do you get on 2 x CR123 and 3 x CR123 with the Solarforce R2?

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never used the Solarforce R2 drop in for longer than 30mins continuously because it gets very hot. So I wouldn't have a clue what is the maximum runtime in 2 or 3 cell configuration.

dmz

Enlightened
So there is no advantage to getting a G3L with a Solarforce R2 drop in since you can't run it for a long time. Now I know why there is so few threads about the G3 and G3L.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
When the body of the flashlight gets hot, its a good sign that its drawing heat away from the LED module which is a good thing.

Its not just the R2 module, The Q5 module also gets similarly hot if run for the same amount of time.

If you reckon the heat stories about the R2 & Q5 are bad, you should check out the threads about the new SSC-P7 lights! After 15-20mins, the light gets hot enough to cause blisters on your skin!

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
So there is no advantage to getting a G3L with a Solarforce R2 drop in since you can't run it for a long time. Now I know why there is so few threads about the G3 and G3L.

The advantage is your batteries will last longer. You may not want or get to run longer continuous times but with normal on and off use you will find that the batteries simply don't die as fast. The R2 pill is well regulated and it will draw less current from the batteries on 3 cells versus 2 while maintaining constant output.

If the plastic is getting hot that means its transfering some heat from the pill module or batteries. Your batteries will run cooler if there are 3 instead of 2 sharing the load.

May not seem like much of an advantage but it still is.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
DX11836 gains nothing running it at voltages higher than 8.4. None of the single mode 3-18V DX modules gain output... regardless of emitter bin.

dmz

Enlightened
So the only real advantage is runtime for the G3L with a less bright P60L. But the extra length of the G3L makes it hard to carry.